News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering shaft problem

Started by nitrousn, April 21, 2020, 05:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrousn

Having some issues and my steering shaft seems to be to short. It does not look to be collapsed. Does anyone have some inner shaft measurements. 69 Charger with power steering. Even some in car measurements like from lower bearing to shaft weld, gauge hole or coupler.

70 sublime

Did you ever have it hooked up before ?
Manual and power steering use different length shaft in the steering column
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

birdsandbees

Only takes clunking it on the floor to collapse the two piece shaft...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

nitrousn

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 21, 2020, 09:47:29 PM
Did you ever have it hooked up before ?
Manual and power steering use different length shaft in the steering column

Yes it came out of the car. If it was manual I don't think the coupler would fit my power box.

nitrousn

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 21, 2020, 09:48:47 PM
Only takes clunking it on the floor to collapse the two piece shaft...

I do not think that happened however something is obviously different. I was given some measurements to compare to what I have. Even though the shaft looks like it is not collapsed it is entirely possible is has.

nitrousn

Shaft was short. I took it apart 15 years ago and had everything neatly put away. I will never say never on the shaft being bumped, I just don't recall anything ever happening to it. Either way its fixed and in the car. Thanks for the help.