News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What parts are needed to be made for Superbird & Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, April 24, 2020, 08:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

I have mentioned here and there on this board that my son owns various equipment including one of those fancy $10k 360 degree scanners and 4 high-end 3D printers. He has printed hearts for hospitals and parts for me. His latest project was to carefully scan the inside and outside of the original fender scoops on one of our Superbirds, and then he carefully scanned one of the window triangles on the back. When he was done they look original, down to Chrysler part numbers and imperfections, and we found the studs on the scoop are stronger than that original resin crap, although they look the same. His plan was to ramp up and scan the other scoop, the other window triangle and whatever else is needed. We are lucky in that we own an original Daytona and a few original Superbirds, so that he can scan original parts.

In the last few days I have seen people asking about the headlight switch plastic vacuum piece, and the rear window inside moulding on a Superbird.

The problem is (and its not a problem for us) for the last 6 weeks he has had all 4 printers going 24 hours a day printing face masks for emergency folks, first responders and hospitals. We eat the cost of the material and give them free to them, but he can only do about 350 a day, so he has not done any other printing for quite some time. In a few weeks (hopefully) this will start slowing down. At that point he will want to spend a day at the shop. I would love to have a list of parts for him to remove and scan, but have not really thought about it.

SO, this is where this group comes in-what special parts on a Daytona or Superbird, originally made of plastic or I suppose pot metal, are either unavailable or unaffordable? Give us a list and I will discuss it with him. Here is what I have so far:

Headlight switch vacuum piece
2nd scoop (!)
Both rear window triangles
Rear inside window moulding-Superbird (bottom piece only?)

Please add to the list. Thanks for your ideas everyone-one of the best things about this board is how people chime in with advice.

Bob

70 sublime

Are Bird and Daytona fender scoops the same ?
Might be interested in Daytona fender scoops
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

johntpr

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 24, 2020, 08:49:44 AM
Are Bird and Daytona fender scoops the same ?
Might be interested in Daytona fender scoops

No , they are different

Daytona R/T SE

Front turn signal lenses for both cars.

( I don't know if you can print clear plastic.)

Sgt Superbird

Darn. I wrote a long response and it didn't send. Serves me right!

I so commend your son for supplying masks, those that might be put into use taking care of us!

Anyway, I might be one of the posters that was inquiring about the rear window trim. I see in your OP you mention "bottom piece only?"...as I understand it, and from having the correct piece on the previous bird I restored, the interior flexible window trim is one piece that surrounds the entire window plug, terminated with a small black metal clip. I have the clip, but do not have the correct trim. I'm trying to get good info, but the single piece may be about 120" long (approx).

Just off the top of my head, the inner taillight shields/covers in the trunk are missing off a lot of cars - not just birds. And speaking of trunks...it would be great if the 3D could print steel and replicate the scissors jacks! LOL

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 24, 2020, 09:55:34 AM

Daytona and Superbird front directional lenses are available from Layson's, nice repros too! I used both over the years, fit/look just like the originals

Mike

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Sgt Superbird on April 24, 2020, 10:32:35 AM
it would be great if the 3D could print steel and replicate the scissors jacks! LOL

Jacks are available from Pete Veight/Wingnut426 here on DodgeCharger.com

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 24, 2020, 11:14:07 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 24, 2020, 09:55:34 AM

Daytona and Superbird front directional lenses are available from Layson's, nice repros too! I used both over the years, fit/look just like the originals

Mike

I didn't know that.

Thanks Mike. :cheers:

Wingnut426

Unfortunately I don't make jacks anymore. I can repair a bent rusty jack, but I don't have the threaded shafts to complete a jack. WINGNUT426
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Sgt Superbird

How about the threaded shafts for wingnut426's jacks?  :smilielol:

birdsandbees

Please shake your Son's hand for me Bob.. if you can... appreciate someone that is taking this whole thing seriously!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

meryan00

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 24, 2020, 03:53:26 PM
Please shake your Son's hand for me Bob.. if you can... appreciate someone that is taking this whole thing seriously!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks...I am his son by the way. My name is Ryan

Yes I have been working on Masks quite a bit lately, and finishing up other projects, But i am finally working on part production.  Biggest item to finish will be the Superbird Fender scoops.  If there is enough interest to cover investment costs I will also try to grab the Daytona scoops to scan and reproduce.  

This is the 3d scan people can view of one of the scoops. If you move it around you can see the original part number stamps on the underside.
https://skfb.ly/6Su6V

I will have these produced with standard 1/4-20 threaded posts already mounted to the scoop and include new quality washers and nuts so it will be direct bolt on. The current plan is to get a small production run done and to send the first final part up to Mark at Magnum and hopefully get his opinion on the quality.  Then I will scale up to making more and selling them.  

I am also at the same time working on something cheaper and easier to reproduce, and with a wider market I hope.  The vacuum slider for the headlight switch on the wing cars and the 68-69 chargers is something that has been created fairly cheap on those chinese clones.  However we have had major reliability issues on those and so I am remaking the part to hopefully perform better. I have been able to create a factory original part With the only difference being that I have added holes in order to use #2-1/4 screws to hold the lid on and be able to replace the baffle or clean out the lines if needed. 

I will be trying to record videos showing the process of how to produce these and my methods in order to help others who want to do it themselves for other parts learn how.  

Overall lots to do, I will be creating a thread on these parts once I have more to show down the road!

meryan00

Quote from: Sgt Superbird on April 24, 2020, 10:32:35 AM
Darn. I wrote a long response and it didn't send. Serves me right!

I so commend your son for supplying masks, those that might be put into use taking care of us!

Anyway, I might be one of the posters that was inquiring about the rear window trim. I see in your OP you mention "bottom piece only?"...as I understand it, and from having the correct piece on the previous bird I restored, the interior flexible window trim is one piece that surrounds the entire window plug, terminated with a small black metal clip. I have the clip, but do not have the correct trim. I'm trying to get good info, but the single piece may be about 120" long (approx).

Just off the top of my head, the inner taillight shields/covers in the trunk are missing off a lot of cars - not just birds. And speaking of trunks...it would be great if the 3D could print steel and replicate the scissors jacks! LOL

I have been thinking about the window trim and I think I have a way to reproduce it from what we have on our birds, but I have not tried yet, I will be sure to add that to the list. 

I like the idea of the inside taillight covers,  Those I don't know that I can reproduce well as those are made with a large vacuum former and sheets of I believe ABS.  Its something I will try to think of a way to make though.

erndog

Sgt Superbird

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

erndog

RealWing

Ryan
I'm an engineer - not a lawyer, but you may need to be careful about selling parts with a Chrysler part number or pentastar logo on it. The FCA lawyers may frown on that???
Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

69bfan

The numbers by themselves will not be as much as a problem as the logos or symbols.  Just depends on the mood of the lawyers and how aggressive that they want to be.  GM licensing attorneys will go after the reproduction parts for the numbers molded into the part representative of the the factory markings without any other markings.  Much simpler to omit any distinguishing numbers or logos to avoid the issues.  Expect to pay 7 to 13% to Chrysler if you should decide to go the route to have the parts licensed.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69bfan on November 28, 2020, 10:02:29 AM
The numbers by themselves will not be as much as a problem as the logos or symbols.  Just depends on the mood of the lawyers and how aggressive that they want to be.  GM licensing attorneys will go after the reproduction parts for the numbers molded into the part representative of the the factory markings without any other markings.  Much simpler to omit any distinguishing numbers or logos to avoid the issues.  Expect to pay 7 to 13% to Chrysler if you should decide to go the route to have the parts licensed.

I remember getting a letter from Chrysler as the President of the Houston Mopar Club Connection about using the name and the Road Runner logo for ours.... It sort of faded away....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

aerolith

Keep making masks Taxspeaker!

Mopars will be here a lot longer than some of the older folks who are dying of 'Rona'...

Those older folks 'are' the Wingcar owners that need all the protection they can get from others!

Met a lovely guy in San Fernando many moons ago who had a very similar GTX to mine in GY9.
Then I realised he was the owner of the GY9 GTX (1990's) in all the mags that made me want get my exact same car in the UK.

So he knew that mother Mopar wouldn't re-pop any of the rare parts he needed to 'finish-off' his near perfect Mopar!
Then He went out of his way (after telling Mother Mopar his intention) to re-create them and that he would get them done at 'his own cost'... :2thumbs:

They waited until he had produced the 'parts' and then sued him... :slap: :slap: :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

taxspeaker

And the above stories are reasons why nothing more has been done!