News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

North Pole’s largest-ever ozone hole finally closes

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, April 28, 2020, 04:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

I remember a time when "experts" were saying that the ozone hole would grow and everything on Earth would die from the sun's radiation.

https://www.livescience.com/arctic-ozone-hole-closes.html

Looks like "the experts" were wrong about that one. I wonder what else "the experts" might be/have been wrong about?    ::)

LaOtto70Charger

b5blue

Well shitcaning R-12 and the nasty propellants in hair spray worked!  :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

casuality with less contamination rate on this lockdown?

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69hemibeep

I have yet to see a scientific model be any where close to accurate be it climate or virus. By their own accounts R12 would take up to 50 years to reach the ozone layer and so the "hole" should be larger than ever about now. But the layer is more like clouds moving about so openings come and go. So today the models show a much larger death count do to this pandemic and the best experiment that failed is Biosphere 1 and 2. The only up side to being older is seeing this crap come and go.  :lol:

RallyeMike

Or, maybe the experts were right and the actions taken based on their recommendations worked  :scratchchin:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 28, 2020, 08:49:17 AM
Or, maybe the experts were right and the actions taken based on their recommendations worked  :scratchchin:

and maybe didn't work better because those ppl and countries that still deny the situation
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Well seeing as how r12 was the devil and 134 was the answer, yet now they have determined the 134 is worse then the 12, so now we have to go to 1234 which needs fire suppression and causes engine missfires.... i have faith.

XH29N0G

Thank you so much for posting this.  Stratospheric ozone (and the polar ozone holes) is one of the biggest successes of regulation with the montreal protocol.  I am sorry to inform you that your post just made a fantastic case for what humans can change by listening to the experts and reversing their behavior.  

Thanks for posting  :2thumbs:

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

alfaitalia

The ozone hole in the OPs post was only there for a month anyway....hardly long enough to evaluate what caused it or closed it!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 28, 2020, 08:49:17 AM

No, that isn't it. :hah:

XH29N0G

In the antarctic, the ozone hole forms in the southern hemisphere spring related to light and chemistry involving CFCs and polar stratospheric clouds.  Later it disspates.  It is one of those things that has been affected on the long term by CFC controls and stratospheric clouds.  So the experts spoke, the world listened and a change occurred.  The northern hemisphere is typically warmer than over antarctica, but apparently there was a local cold area that did something this year.  I don't think it is a mystery or an indication of any sort that following guidance provided by experts makes no difference.

Or maybe it protects us. 

Mike DC

QuoteWell seeing as how r12 was the devil and 134 was the answer, yet now they have determined the 134 is worse then the 12, so now we have to go to 1234 which needs fire suppression and causes engine missfires.... i have faith.

Follow the money.  

These freons are always safe until the patents on them expire.  Then some new studies come out proving them unsafe.  

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 28, 2020, 11:19:23 PM
QuoteWell seeing as how r12 was the devil and 134 was the answer, yet now they have determined the 134 is worse then the 12, so now we have to go to 1234 which needs fire suppression and causes engine missfires.... i have faith.

Follow the money.  

These freons are always safe until the patents on them expire.  Then some new studies come out proving them unsafe.  

J.Bond

Watched r12 disappear, r22 gondy, and,this past year r404, 1800 see ya, When I started the trade 30 years ago, there was only 3 or 4 different refrigerants.

However, the new replacements, raise's, an eye brow here...R600 and R290.... isobutene (600) and Propane (290)... yeah, it will take the braising procedure  to another level.

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 29, 2020, 02:57:21 AM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 28, 2020, 11:19:23 PM

Follow the money.  

Ever see his movie?  "The Invention of Lying".     Awesome!!
:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RallyeMike

I custom make tinfoil hat and turban liners on the side. Taking orders now.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BLK 68 R/T

I thought this might have been a story about AOC.  :smilielol:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 28, 2020, 04:51:48 AM
I remember a time when "experts" were saying that the ozone hole would grow and everything on Earth would die from the sun's radiation.

Looks like "the experts" were wrong about that one. I wonder what else "the experts" might be/have been wrong about?    ::)

So, is this another of your "I was right" posts. Did you read the entire article?

"Warmer Antarctic temperatures caused by global warming are partially responsible for the hole's apparent shrinkage, but credit is also due to the Montreal Protocol, a global ban on ozone-depleting pollutants enacted in 1987."
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mel t

Global warming solved the ozone issue. Halleluja.  :cheers:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 29, 2020, 02:05:11 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 28, 2020, 04:51:48 AM

So, is this another of your "I was right" posts. Did you read the entire article?

"Warmer Antarctic temperatures caused by global warming are partially responsible for the hole's apparent shrinkage, but credit is also due to the Montreal Protocol, a global ban on ozone-depleting pollutants enacted in 1987."

Yes I did read it and what it tells me is that ozone holes come and go naturally. Notice that the article conveniently does not mention how much of a of a factor  this Montreal Protocol supposedly helped. But since you're so smart, why don't you find the data showing the exact percentage that this protocol helped versus what is naturally occurring and report back. 

XH29N0G

It isn't exactly 'naturally'.  It has to do with conditions that promote the catalytic destruction of ozone were promoted by the presence of CFCs.  And the process that forms the ozone hole we know was started by our CFC emissions.  CFCs are very long lived, so recovery is a long way away.  So a huge victory because it was stopped before it got way way out of hand.  If you want an example of something that has largely recovered in North America, look at acid rain and sulfur deposition.

Or maybe it protects us. 

Bronzedodge

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 28, 2020, 01:58:40 PM
Well seeing as how r12 was the devil and 134 was the answer, yet now they have determined the 134 is worse then the 12, so now we have to go to 1234 which needs fire suppression and causes engine missfires.... i have faith.

134a wasn't worse in some ways.  The ODP (ozone depletion potential) is lower than R-12.  Basically a fancy way of saying the amount of Chlorine in it is lower.    R-12 had a lower boiling point, which would yeild a colder evaporator, i.e, greater heat absorption ability.
Mopar forever!