News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Covid-19 deaths surpass Nam's

Started by b5blue, April 30, 2020, 08:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

This hits home for me.  :rotz:  As we battle cabin fever and cope with a buckling financial situation my condolences to those who suffered lost loved ones.   

odcics2

Lots of vets getting it in crowded VA hospitals and nursing homes, too.    :rotz:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52468287
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Nacho-RT74

Maybe some ppl on board will be able to rethink about this and admit this is a very serious situation that can touch anybody, closer than we think!

Thanks God you made it good odcics2!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 30, 2020, 01:56:28 PM
Maybe some ppl on board will be able to rethink about this and admit this is a very serious situation that can touch anybody, closer than we think!

Not likely.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

It is serious but the reaction by the government was a huge exaggeration. To blanket the entire country with oppressive restrictions was the wrong approach since it has been the population centers that have shown to be the hot spots. Many states have far less cases than they have been told to expect. The greasy leader of California sent a letter to the White House warning of up to 20 million infected in this state. Yeah, right...
Of course, many looked to this virus as an opportunity to further their agenda.

Bronzedodge

Interesting to look at Sweden's response.  Not sure if the comparison is relevant.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/12/is-sweden-s-covid-19-strategy-working
Mopar forever!

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on April 30, 2020, 08:22:44 AM
This hits home for me.  :rotz:  As we battle cabin fever and cope with a buckling financial situation my condolences to those who suffered lost loved ones.   

Do you have "condolences" for the large annual numbers of those that died from smoking, abortion, accidents, heart disease and the regular Influenza ?
If not, you have bought into the hype.

alfaitalia

Quote from: Bronzedodge on April 30, 2020, 05:07:30 PM
Interesting to look at Sweden's response.  Not sure if the comparison is relevant.

That's a week or so out date and their figures are climbing fast now because they did do little too late...like us to be honest. Its death toll is actually worse than the USA, Iran and Germany per head of population.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11519891/swedens-top-coronavirus-expert-admits-major-mistakes-death-toll-pubs-right-move/

Even your leader thinks they did wrong...

https://www.channel4.com/news/is-swedens-controversial-approach-to-coronavirus-lockdown-working
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

XH29N0G

KD,

I think our heart goes out whenever we hear of deaths, so yes. Had a flu death about 10 years ago and a COVID Death earlier this year.  It is a human response.  I am hoping, but not holding my breath, that this is blown out of control but is instead a realistic assessment of the situation.  No one has said everyone will die, but they have said that deaths at rates higher than the Flu are something to deal with and decisions have been made on that basis.  Sure it can be argued that all testing is imprecise, but the bottom line is some decisions were made.  Given the rates of death and the filling of the hospitals we know they are at least partly valid.  If the rise resumes when things relax, doubly so.  I am hoping they don't rise and it is all passed, but also am being cautious about the odds.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

MoparMike68

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 30, 2020, 05:38:06 PM
Quote from: Bronzedodge on April 30, 2020, 05:07:30 PM
Interesting to look at Sweden's response.  Not sure if the comparison is relevant.

That's a week or so out date and their figures are climbing fast now because they did do little too late...like us to be honest. Its death toll is actually worse than the USA, Iran and Germany per head of population.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11519891/swedens-top-coronavirus-expert-admits-major-mistakes-death-toll-pubs-right-move/

Even your leader thinks they did wrong...

https://www.channel4.com/news/is-swedens-controversial-approach-to-coronavirus-lockdown-working
Lockdown-Free Sweden had it right, Says The World Health Organization on 4/30/20.
Doesn't mean much other then they have been consistently wrong glad their defunded.
Although I think it's serious for the elderly and those with underlying conditions not so much for everyone else.
I'm not saying you can't get sick but death seems unlikely.

Mike DC

What is our standard of accuracy for predictions? 

It's easy to be correct if your yardstick was "I think it won't be as bad as the worst fears." 

It's a lot harder to look at the (totally inadequate) data they had 2-3 months ago and try to gauge how much action is necessary.

Honestly, I challenge anyone to look at the data they had in February or early March and do a better job. 

It's easy to say "I don't think Covid will be a huge problem because these flus normally aren't" <--- sorry, that's not science.  That might very well be correct but it's still not responsible predicting.  Broken clocks are accurate twice a day. 

In 1912 icebergs were not normally a big deal for big ocean liners.  In 2005 hurricanes didn't normally break levees and flood major American cities. 

We had an example just a decade ago where a new virus infected at least 59 million Americans.  That was H1N1 (swine) and the Covid is more contagious than that one according to the best research we have.  This things CAN BE huge outbreaks.  And the lowest death rates we've seen for Covid (as in, the lowest out of a whole range of different figures) are in the ballpark of a normal flu.   Two months ago it was just decent rational logic to assume this thing would be a serious problem. 

. . . and it IS a serious problem.  It has "only been as bad as a normal flu" after we have worked WAY harder to control it than a normal flu.  And none of the official death counts we have are worth much.  We won't know anything real until we can compare grand total deaths from one year to the next.   

chargered

CDC estimates between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths just from the seasonal flu this year.  Guess we should start shutting the country down every year to avoid that.  Or maybe we don't care about the elderly who die from the seasonal flu............oh wait, the media doesn't hype that.

Average of 3,700 deaths per day from car accidents.  Guess we should stop driving cars.

5 million deaths from smoking.....time to eliminate cigarettes

42 million abortions worldwide in 2019

MoparMike68

Quote from: chargered on April 30, 2020, 09:01:39 PM
CDC estimates between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths just from the seasonal flu this year.  Guess we should start shutting the country down every year to avoid that.  Or maybe we don't care about the elderly who die from the seasonal flu............oh wait, the media doesn't hype that.

Average of 3,700 deaths per day from car accidents.  Guess we should stop driving cars.

I think they don't like the flu comparison because there's a vaccine and those with underlying conditions
and the elderly would be vaccinated,everyone else would choose to vaccinate or not.
Examples like driving,smoking and unfortunately abortion are choices.
I believe it's time to reopen the country and the elderly and those with underlying conditions should
Remain in quarantine a bit longer because when everything is shut down,E.g. hospitals laying off staff due to lack of elective surgeries those most vulnerable won't receive the help needed.
:Twocents:

Birdflu

Quote from: MoparMike68 on April 30, 2020, 09:24:31 PM

I believe it's time to reopen the country and the elderly and those with underlying conditions should
Remain in quarantine a bit longer because when everything is shut down,E.g. hospitals laying off staff due to lack of elective surgeries those most vulnerable won't receive the help needed.
:Twocents:

:iagree:

Kern Dog

Mopar Mike makes sense.
You DO realize that by hiding in your house, you are making your own natural defenses weaker??

Mike DC

Quotehttp://i believe it's time to reopen the country and the elderly and those with underlying conditions should

Everyone acts like this has to be a choice between economic damage or virus damage.  It didn't have to be this way.  Our govt chose to put us in this position.  

They could have combined the shutdown with freezing monthly bills, the govt could have paid company payrolls to prevent layoffs, etc.  Some other countries did it that way.   It's common sense FFS.  

There is a threat to public safety and they are too busy dumping money into the stock market & other big donors to protect the public.   If this threat had come from terrorists instead of a virus I think the public would be a lot more angry about it.  But the last time I checked, dead is dead no matter the cause.      

alfaitalia

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 30, 2020, 11:08:21 PM
Mopar Mike makes sense.
You DO realize that by hiding in your house, you are making your own natural defenses weaker??

Lol...that's the whole point of lock down...you don't have any natural defences against this one.

alfaitalia

CDC estimates between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths just from the seasonal flu this year.  Guess we should start shutting the country down every year to avoid that.  Or maybe we don't care about the elderly who die from the seasonal flu............oh wait, the media doesn't hype that.

Average of 3,700 deaths per day from car accidents.  Guess we should stop driving cars.

Lame.....COVID deaths are on top of them....and none of those are infectious except normal flu. Also except flu you get a choice about all of those . And people who keep comparing this to a normal flu (both on death rate are seriousness) are clearly just shutting their eyes to the facts. Why do you thing the World is reacting like it is. Do you think they woke up one morning and though..."covids just another flu....but let's kick the economy to death for the fun of it"
64000 dead Americans (so you are soon to exceed seasonal flu death's.....with a LOT more to come sadly)...and you have rioting to open up. Bet they stop when they start dying of covid they caught whilst rioting!

Can't help noticing the abortions on your list....and the absence of the15000 gun deaths last year in the US...no doubting your political leanings!

Mytur Binsdirti

Sadly, all of the so-called experts were wrong on this and it's plain to see that they are all learning as this goes on. That said, none of them will admit that they are wrong & when this is all said and done, they will still say that the approach taken saved more lives than were lost.

It will be interesting to see how Sweden's approach to this stacks up against other countries, when adjusted for population.

alfaitalia

Those figures are out there. and their figures are climbing fast now because they did do little too late...Its death toll is now actually worse than the USA, Iran and Germany per head of population. It was a bad decision...even their government (and Mr Trump strangely) agree they made the wrong decision.

mel t

He takes a swipe at American values in almost every post. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Kern Dog

Yes he does.
Remember when he said he was going to "Ban himself" ?

timmycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 01, 2020, 07:57:22 AM
Yes he does.
Remember when he said he was going to "Ban himself" ?

Yeah right, just like all the "celebrities" that were supposed to move to Canada after Nov 2016....

mel t

b5blue

I lost loved ones in Nam. and they were not even in military. Needless death is the most painful. What some of you "feel" or "think you know" about stay at home means NOTHING. Your in NO way properly educated or informed in any medical or scientific way. You take your spitball, seat of the pants perception then endlessly extrapolate. Like my neighbors little dog you run around yapping at the slightest disturbance. Nothing new just endless repeated, inserted everywhere, yap yap yap.
 In fact now I'm GLAD you are pissed about it and hope you feel me laughing at your pure ignorance of the situation. Feel free to endlessly reply everyplace about it and keep the laughs coming till you can put a DR. in front of your name. (Dr. Diff excused) To have so little life as to march out online typing brash bold and sometimes offensive content endlessly inserted to intentionally provoke others is the mark of a true coward, a wanna be bully.
 This topic was started from a sense of grief for the scope of great loss of lives.  Stay in your lane yappers! :slap:    

mel t

Sorry for your loss B5, didn't mean to stomp on your thread.

Edit;
61099 deaths last flu season.
Did we compare it to "NAM" last year? NO!
Why?
I know why!
The info-babe from New York Magazine also knows why!
(I am petty sure B5 knows why)
Do you?
I am not trying to minimize the current situation or be a "keyboard bully."
I am not a DR. nor do I play one on internet forums (like some here)
Just my 2cents. Yap yap yap.

Nacho-RT74

Reallity has talked... As I mentioned, nobody will take this seriouslly untill you feel is coming or is close to you, and beging to think what could be done to be safe... or maybe what you didn't do it by yourself when is late now.

but, is easy to anybody play as a team manager after the game was played!

Sorry about your loss B5.

Please stop to compare with other diseases or death rates. This is a diff stuff out of a real control. Accidents ? abortions ? HIV itself ? some of them are most a personal responsability. COVID-19 is a bit more random!

We are barelly knowning at this moment just the tip of the iceberg. It can get better ? I hope... It can be worst ? we don't know yet, but better if we keep the worst escenarios away doing what must has been done

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: alfaitalia on May 01, 2020, 02:34:08 AM

Lame.....COVID deaths are on top of them....and none of those are infectious except normal flu. Also except flu you get a choice about all of those . And people who keep comparing this to a normal flu (both on death rate are seriousness) are clearly just shutting their eyes to the facts. Why do you thing the World is reacting like it is. Do you think they woke up one morning and though..."covids just another flu....but let's kick the economy to death for the fun of it"
64000 dead Americans (so you are soon to exceed seasonal flu death's.....with a LOT more to come sadly)...and you have rioting to open up. Bet they stop when they start dying of covid they caught whilst rioting!

Can't help noticing the abortions on your list....and the absence of the15000 gun deaths last year in the US...no doubting your political leanings!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-47157967

Interesting the amount of firearms crimes in the uk despite guns being illegal over there comapred to our wild west approach in the US..... nice try though.

odcics2

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 30, 2020, 01:56:28 PM

Thanks God you made it good odcics2!

Thanks.  Beats the alternative - DEATH.  

US: a million tested positive.   62,000 have died in less than 2 months.  

Last flu season: 35 million cases and 32,000 died.
(Thinking a LOT more C-19 cases out there than we know about.)  

Not to worry, we'll bounce back.  :2thumbs:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 30, 2020, 03:08:55 PM
It is serious but the reaction by the government was a huge exaggeration.

Predictable. Never wander from the party line.

alfaitalia

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 01, 2020, 12:42:22 PM

Interesting the amount of firearms crimes in the uk despite guns being illegal over there comapred to our wild west approach in the US..... nice try though.

Not going to talk guns with you guys..i know the views of most of you...especially in this thread and its up to the USA whether you have guns or not....I don't care.....but you can't talk BS like that and not expect a comment. Latest figures I can find..To keep it fair it's all gun deaths and per 100, 000 folks (only way as you have over 5 times our population)
USA ..12.21
UK......0.23

That's 53 times as many!
So don't talk crap.

That's all I'm saying!

Back on topic please.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: alfaitalia on May 01, 2020, 06:54:36 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 01, 2020, 12:42:22 PM

Not going to talk guns with you guys..i know the views of most of you...especially in this thread and its up to the USA whether you have guns or not....I don't care.....but you can't talk BS like that and not expect a comment. Latest figures I can find..To keep it fair it's all gun deaths and per 100, 000 folks (only way as you have over 5 times our population)
USA ..12.21
UK......0.23

That's 53 times as many!
So don't talk crap.

That's all I'm saying!

Back on topic please.

The majority of you live on an island where they are illegal period. We have crap coming up illegally from our southern border. If you take your figure and apply it to the actuall illegal guns, it gets alot closer to your number. What topic shall we get back on as this was your tangent...

mel t

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on May 01, 2020, 08:23:39 AM
 I lost loved ones in Nam. and they were not even in military. Needless death is the most painful. What some of you "feel" or "think you know" about stay at home means NOTHING. Your in NO way properly educated or informed in any medical or scientific way. You take your spitball, seat of the pants perception then endlessly extrapolate. Like my neighbors little dog you run around yapping at the slightest disturbance. Nothing new just endless repeated, inserted everywhere, yap yap yap.
 In fact now I'm GLAD you are pissed about it and hope you feel me laughing at your pure ignorance of the situation. Feel free to endlessly reply everyplace about it and keep the laughs coming till you can put a DR. in front of your name. (Dr. Diff excused) To have so little life as to march out online typing brash bold and sometimes offensive content endlessly inserted to intentionally provoke others is the mark of a true coward, a wanna be bully.
 This topic was started from a sense of grief for the scope of great loss of lives.  Stay in your lane yappers! :slap:    

F A K E   N E W S.

ACUDANUT

Someone get me a stiff drink. PLEASE

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

b5blue

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 01, 2020, 07:51:35 PM
Quote from: b5blue on May 01, 2020, 08:23:39 AM

F A K E   N E W S.
yap yap yap yap little dog

c00nhunterjoe

Challenger340

There is very simply no comparison of fatalities between COVID and neither any typical Flu season nor Vietnam..... COVID is far worse than either,
and to suggest otherwise ?
you are either just plain stoopid or in fact your Village's resident Idiot.

Remember COVID is just beginning, it will be here well into next year lockdowns or otherwise, the removal of which will only give it opportunities for new outbreaks.... all it takes is ONE !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Kern Dog

It sounds like the doomsayers are rooting for more deaths by continuing to spout the worst case scenarios that they can find online.
Just like how any political party hopes for an economic downturn to occur to give a challenger an edge over an incumbent.

XH29N0G

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 01, 2020, 10:38:24 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 01, 2020, 09:01:27 PM
Someone get me a stiff drink. PLEASE

Way ahead of you.

I think I was passed out by the time this started.   :cheers:  

It was Friday after all. :smilielol:

But seriously, We are in a situation that involves people who died and deserve our respect. We are getting 'noteworthy information about events', the news. We can trust (or not) but verify, and the story remains consistent. We have the option of making different decisions in the future.  

This has the markings of a serious situation, and many of us have first hand experience with it. I have friends who have been hit hard by the disease (still in recovery from March) and family member of one friend of mine passed from it. My wife works in a school that was told students had family members who were going hospitals where they couldn't visit. On a national scale, the cdc site posted last week by mytur, has been adjusted upward by about 12000 (or 50%). That is not new weeks. That is just the numbers catching up with the database up to 4/25. We know the level during social distancing saturated a some hospitals. We have an idea of what would have happened if there were no social distancing.  We will validate this if the numbers resume their rise after it is relaxed.  That will tell us how much the reaction to it was blown out of proportion or was appropriate.

So my two cents are that we treat this with respect and it does not help to beat your chest and say it is blown out of proportion until we actually know that was the case.

Or maybe it protects us. 

mel t

you are either just plain stoopid or in fact your Village's resident Idiot. :2thumbs:

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1256425181960003585

XH29N0G

?? me ??  

being called just plain stoopid would be a new one   :yesnod:

resident idiot, too   :icon_smile_big:

But if it is, I won't deny either because my village certainly has people who are smarter than me  :lol:

COVID also isn't a microbe.   :smilielol:

Or maybe it protects us. 

mel t

No, not you, that's what Bob said about me. (I think) And he wouldn't be wrong....
I thought folks would enjoy Maher's video.

Edit; COVID also isn't a microbe.
That statement tells me you ARE smarter than the average bear.

MoparMike68

The biggest misconception is,lockdown or death. This can't be the case,Walmart,Samsclub,Costco,Amazon,
Post office,Ups,FedEx,Financial institutions,Food chain workers,police,fire,hospitals,gas stations sounds
like a lot but it's just a fraction many more can be added. Now I assume these workers have families
To go home to,and spread. What I'm observing,infection not death and all employees weren't infected,
None of these establishments closed down completely. Remember it's slow the spread not stop it.
Meaning not to overwhelm our health care system and we didn't. In fact NY sent covid infected
Patience into nursing homes,What? and still didn't overwhelm the system.The field hospitals,ship and
Ventilators weren't needed.
I live in NJ south of NY the hot spots, subways,buses are full but you can't get a hair cut or sit on a park bench
alone? Is that advice worthy of accepting?
I'm not a Dr. Three in my family are in fact one is my brother,uninformed I'm not,besides Docs and science
so far we're all over the board on the models,even the Sergeon General gave us bad advice.I still believe
Covid can be dealt with in a responsible way while we wait for a vaccine but by all means it's time to
Open up America!
Check your recent CDC statistics they are lower now.

mel t

XH29N0G

:2thumbs:  Glad it wasn't me...  :lol:

I'm on board that opening up is in order and also agree it isn't lockdown or death.  But social distancing likely slowed things and allowed some to be treated who might not have been if the system had been overwhelmed.  I had friends in other countries with stronger lockdowns and we didn't get that.  If cases and death's rise when we relax, we will know the cases could have been higher during our social distancing.  It's a basic test.  

Or maybe it protects us. 

mel t

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 02, 2020, 12:38:51 AM
It sounds like the doomsayers are rooting for more deaths by continuing to spout the worst case scenarios that they can find online.
Just like how any political party hopes for an economic downturn to occur to give a challenger an edge over an incumbent.

Just like some people look at the situation from a political view and some from a medical view.

When the medical view differs from your political view, just ban the medical view like your prez does.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-blocks-fauci-from-testifying-before-congress-counterproductive