News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best way to polish stainless trim on a 68 Charger

Started by mt.sledder, May 02, 2020, 01:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mt.sledder

Looking for the fastest and best technique for polishing the stainless trim (windshield, rear window and door trim). I've tried the steel wool, 1500 and then 2000 grit wet sand and then polish with chrome or aluminum polish or a white buffing wheel with a white bar. Is there an easier and faster method. I'm willing to put some time into it, just want excellent results.

Kern Dog

I've never used steel wool or sandpaper but the buffing wheel works great for me. 

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 02, 2020, 03:15:03 AM
I've never used steel wool or sandpaper but the buffing wheel works great for me. 

:yesnod:

funknut

Whatever method you choose depends on how rough your trim is.  I've never had to do much more than use a couple different buffing compounds on a wheel, but if you have deeper scratches you may need to level them out with sanding.  Stainless is pretty hard, so it's unfortunately a slow process.

Wingnut426

Are you polishing on or off the car? On the car is not recommended. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

mt.sledder

I'm polishing it off the car, I don't have any deep scratches, just want it to look like new.

stripedelete

Cut it good with the black bar.  Polish it with green bar.   Pretty sure green bar is for polishing stainless.

469 runner

Eastwood sells a nice kit to polish stainless.  Three types of pads and compounds.  Depending on condition, you may have to do some "bodywork" to the trim.  Tapping out dents, filing flat, sanding to remove scratches etc...  It can get very time consuming, but something worth doing.  It is very expensive to pay someone to do this.  Tape fragile pieces to boards to buff.  The buffing pads can snag and turn your hard to find trim into a pretzel.  Good Luck.

Bossman963

+1 on Eastwood compounds. But get the 10-12" buffing pads, ss, finish, etc and go buy a 1 or higher hp motor, set it up on a stand, have it bolted down, and go to town.
Been doing my own polishing for about 20 years now
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS