News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Daytona SE no longer offered for sale on this site

Started by 69DAYTONASE, May 05, 2020, 09:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on August 10, 2021, 08:37:00 PM
As far as restorations go, there is definitely a difference in what each shop is capable of doing. I know you said you don't care for the OE Gold type of restorations, but those amount of details can only be had by a handful of shops in the country. That is why people are sending their cars off to shops in other states than where they live. Personal opinion, there are only a handful of places one should even consider using if we are talking about restoring a Daytona to an OE level.

Yes the local shop, can buff paint, and make a car look pretty to the casual observer. Its the details that get over looked at these types of shows.

That ain't no lie.......... Even with a good shop, you have to find one that is wiling to get guidance and feedback from the car owner. Some don't wanna do anything unless it fits their model of work and deliverable, nevermind what the owner of the car wants, and dare I say, customer.. :-)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

I found a old newsletter to big a file when this Daytona debuted the guy owned it was from Arkansas .And car was stripped to bare metal and restored sometime ago
Pictures spare parts mentioned
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

triple_green

All I originally asked if the car had sold or not, as I am interested in one and wondered what kind of money this type of a car (not a perfect restored trailer queen) would go for. Of course he has the right to ask whatever he wants for it. If he is a little high for the market then he will either find the right person or  eventually drop his price. The responses here are a little over the top. My intention was never to start this kind of a negative discussion.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                   11 August 2021

One Item we have yet to see on this site, though it might be and we have yet to encounter it, is info on the tax bite one has to fork-over to the IRS after selling ones high dollar car and ways to legally mitigate some of that tax.

The fact that we are legally required to pay income tax on any profit we derive from the sale of said asset does not give us the warm Fuzzies. So, if anyone has information on how one can legally reduce said tax burden they will be doing the members here a great service by posting what they know that is legal. Sellers of cars whose prices reach into the rarified atmosphere will probably require professional assistance.

We had one clown offer to buy our car with cash so we wouldn't have to pay taxes on it. Yeah, that would have been a real invite for a visit by the nice folks from the IRS.

This is just one of the things one has to consider when dealing with our hobby. Whatever price you sell your beloved car for, you won't get to keep all of it; our uncle in "Warshington" will determine what is to be his "Fair Share" which will have to be ponied up, on time, like it or jail.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

hemi68charger

Quote from: triple_green on August 11, 2021, 06:52:45 PM
All I originally asked if the car had sold or not, as I am interested in one and wondered what kind of money this type of a car (not a perfect restored trailer queen) would go for. Of course he has the right to ask whatever he wants for it. If he is a little high for the market then he will either find the right person or  eventually drop his price. The responses here are a little over the top. My intention was never to start this kind of a negative discussion.

That stinks your post was turned into an episode of a drama show........ Like you mention, people have the right to ask any price they want... Unfortunately people start making person attacks... Nature of the beast in these public web-based discussion boards.

Hope you find that Daytona you want.... After 20 years of waiting, the planets lined up for me and I was able to secure one back in the day..

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

cudavic

Quote from: 426HemiChick on August 12, 2021, 02:56:09 AM
Hi Folks,                   11 August 2021

One Item we have yet to see on this site, though it might be and we have yet to encounter it, is info on the tax bite one has to fork-over to the IRS after selling ones high dollar car and ways to legally mitigate some of that tax.

The fact that we are legally required to pay income tax on any profit we derive from the sale of said asset does not give us the warm Fuzzies. So, if anyone has information on how one can legally reduce said tax burden they will be doing the members here a great service by posting what they know that is legal. Sellers of cars whose prices reach into the rarified atmosphere will probably require professional assistance.

We had one clown offer to buy our car with cash so we wouldn't have to pay taxes on it. Yeah, that would have been a real invite for a visit by the nice folks from the IRS.

This is just one of the things one has to consider when dealing with our hobby. Whatever price you sell your beloved car for, you won't get to keep all of it; our uncle in "Warshington" will determine what is to be his "Fair Share" which will have to be ponied up, on time, like it or jail.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Below is a link to a thread that was started on this subject a few years ago.

Selling collector cars and capital gains questions.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,136864.msg1697427.html#msg1697427

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 12, 2021, 06:51:19 AM
Quote from: triple_green on August 11, 2021, 06:52:45 PM

That stinks your post was turned into an episode of a drama show........ Like you mention, people have the right to ask any price they want... Unfortunately people start making person attacks... Nature of the beast in these public web-based discussion boards.

Hope you find that Daytona you want.... After 20 years of waiting, the planets lined up for me and I was able to secure one back in the day..

Just curious, what were the personal attacks?     

I think if you have a car for sale, it's pretty much fair game to critique, including the price.    No one said it was a bad car.     No one said he was a bad guy.    He just did not want to hear opinions contrary to his own, which was in essence, "Nice car, but your price is too high."     I get that every mother thinks their kid is just a little more special.       

hemi-hampton

It sounded to me like alot of people thought it should get a $375k Roger Gibson Trailer Queen OE Resto :shruggy: Not every owner or Buyer is wanting that. :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 12, 2021, 06:16:28 PM
It sounded to me like alot of people thought it should get a $375k Roger Gibson Trailer Queen OE Resto :shruggy: Not every owner or Buyer is wanting that. :shruggy:

I agree completely.  I would personally not restore that car.  It doesn't need it.   It's just that the pricing is not appropriate for either scenario.

The Brockton Dodge B5 Daytona is another that been offered for a long time at 400k.  Unless that guy gets serious, he will probably die with it. 

aerolith

Hi Aero's.

I think if you 'open the door' to comments on sale prices, then folks are gonna 'wade in'!
To call some one a ''sucker'' for spending his hard earned cash on a 'grade 1' resto is a bit harsh... :shruggy:

Yes we all know an unrestored car is the 'bee's knee's' but 'CHROME COVERS', how could you??? :slap: :smilielol: :eek2:
At least fit a Mopar redtop battery to 'create some care' in the engine bay... :blush2:
And those ORANGE heater hoses :puke:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Think this one was $280K last year with redtop battery and OE?

Two speed wipers and non power brakes (risky) but does have window washer lines (good for daily driving)... :rofl:

ps, its hard for 'bottom feeders' (like me) to downsize, I can assure you... :horse:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on August 12, 2021, 04:18:49 PM

Just curious, what were the personal attacks?     

I think if you have a car for sale, it's pretty much fair game to critique, including the price.    No one said it was a bad car.     No one said he was a bad guy.    He just did not want to hear opinions contrary to his own, which was in essence, "Nice car, but your price is too high."     I get that every mother thinks their kid is just a little more special.       

Doug, I was talking in general terms, not specifically this thread. As you well know, I've been part of the discussion boards for a very long time; here, moparts, B-body only, etc. People, who do put their cars on a public platform are opening themselves up to the principle of "public opinion". I have seen time and time again, where the majority of people commenting on any given thread, there are those that do cross the lie and make negative comments not only on the car, but the person. People can make a point to point out a wrong this, or a wrong that, but when they start attacking the owner, then that's uncalled for. And at that point, the drama starts. A lot of times, the simple message of "Nice car, but your price is too high" isn't delivered that simply.. I was replying to triple_green directly per my quote.....
Troy

69_500

Quote from: aerolith on August 13, 2021, 04:54:08 AM
Think this one was $280K last year with redtop battery and OE?

Two speed wipers and non power brakes (risky) but does have window washer lines (good for daily driving)... :rofl:

ps, its hard for 'bottom feeders' (like me) to downsize, I can assure you... :horse:

Not an even comparison between those two Daytona's. The B5 car is a league with few competitors. The SE that was for sale, is in a league of the rest of the Daytona's. In my opinion there is a league that consists of 10 Daytona's, then there are the rest. The ones that went the extra mile for OE, and very few true survivors. After that, they are all just either restored cars, or driver cars, or need restored. And to me, they are all the same.

held1823

Quote from: 69_500 on August 16, 2021, 06:25:01 PM
In my opinion there is a league that consists of 10 Daytona's, then there are the rest. The ones that went the extra mile for OE, and very few true survivors. After that, they are all just either restored cars, or driver cars, or need restored. And to me, they are all the same.

you'd have to slot the J code cars above the "all the same" crowd but i get what you are saying
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053