News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reading the Plugs

Started by HeavyFuel, May 05, 2020, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Most of the plugs look to be in the general vicinity of each other.

But I don't know what 3 and 4 think they're celebrating....

440, stock rebuild, electronic ignition.   Autolite AP85s.

Any ideas?

DownZero

#3 looks extremely oil fouled.

DownZero

All my past experiences have concluded that Autolites and mopars don't go together well.

c00nhunterjoe

I ran autolites all the time with no issue in stock and modified mopars. That is an old wives tale.

While the pligs are out, do a compression test, check the pcv for pulling oil, if all is well, consider a possible intake pan leak sucking oil.

firefighter3931

It looks like 3&4 are oil fouled. Most likely valve seals or intake gasket.  :yesnod:

PCV pulling oil would have all of the plugs oily....not just the two pictured.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

HeavyFuel

So.....a new valley pan is in my future?    :-\

Do you guys use a gasket with the pan?  Maybe sealant?   

The SM says just pan.  I've tried it both ways, and man, it's a tight fit to get a gasket in there.

c00nhunterjoe

I use the pan and rtv on both sides.

HeavyFuel

Okay....so I replaced the valley pan today.  So much fun.

While I had it opened up, I took a look at the inside of the heads.

None of them looked particularly tidy, but 3 and 4 looked really bad.  This is a picture of 4.

Now...I'm not a mechanic by a quite a stretch, but something tells me that oil puddling on top of your valve isn't a good thing.  Yes, that greenish looking area is oil.  I took a long Qtip and soaked up some of the fluid.  It's oil.

So.  Leaky valve stem seals?   :'(   :brickwall:    

cdr

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 16, 2020, 08:25:11 PM

None of them looked particularly tidy, but 3 and 4 looked really bad.  This is a picture of 4.

Now...I'm not a mechanic by a quite a stretch, but something tells me that oil puddling on top of your valve isn't a good thing.  Yes, that greenish looking area is oil.  I took a long Qtip and soaked up some of the fluid.  It's oil.

That oil could still be from the intake gasket
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

HeavyFuel

Quote from: cdr on May 16, 2020, 08:38:44 PM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 16, 2020, 08:25:11 PM

That oil could still be from the intake gasket

:scratchchin:

I hope you're right!