News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crusty Superbird

Started by dreamcatcher, May 06, 2020, 05:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

I am trying to give a guy advice on selling a really crusty bird. It is all there but beyond saving. The nose is workable the wing perfect. The headlight buckets are good and from what I seen at least one front fender looks workable. I figure with the back glass the back glass frame the nose with the internal parts the hood and the wing that these should be at least worth 10 to 12K. Opinion's?
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

70 sublime

Does it have any of the original drive train in it ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

dreamcatcher

I was told it was numbers matching but I did not verify this.
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

70 sublime

And what was that Daytona they fixed and did not use very many original parts ?
If the numbers matching motor is still there someone will fix the bird some how

RallyeMike

Someone will buy it whole for more than that no matter how bad it is.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Daytona R/T SE

A friend of mine is looking for a rough Superbird project.

Tell us more.

dreamcatcher

Trust me this is beyond restoration. I was looking for advice as to the worth of parts. I believe the car was going to be re-bodied by the former owner (now departed) His family is wanting to sell it. I had a 70 RR with is. This is what I am trying to keep from happening. The car had been cut a part. The firewall is shot the floor pans cut out the trunk cut out tail light panel gone rear frame rails gone quarters gone wheel houses there but very rusty. This is just parts.

chargervert

A 70 b5 V code 4 speed Superbird in about that condition sold about 6 months ago locally for around 65 grand.  AMD has made rebuilding the uni body structure possible.  His best bet is to take good pictures, and put it on eBay. It may bring more than you think.

dreamcatcher

Thanx I just don't want to see another re-bodied rare car that isn't so rare. I spent 50K 12 years ago building my tribute SB. I never used any original SB parts. I figure they belong on a real bird.

RallyeMike

QuoteHis best bet is to take good pictures, and put it on eBay. It may bring more than you think.

:cheers:

People are bringing back cars with nothing but inner structure and a handful of parts. Right or wrong, I think most people rather see this happen than original parts slapped on a clone.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

DAY CLONA

Quote from: dreamcatcher on May 07, 2020, 08:43:40 AM
I just don't want to see another re-bodied rare car that isn't so rare.

After it's sold it's out of your hands what the next owner does with it, rebodied, custom, pro streeted, pro touring, restored, cut up and junked, etc, etc the list is endless.... sell the thing and be done with it

roadrunninmark

I'd like to see some pics of it. What color?  Auto or 4 speed?  I've always wanted a Superbird just couldn't afford one.

dreamcatcher

I am not selling the car only asking for price advise. I have a few pictures but cant ever get pictures to post on here. The car is(was) lime light green and auto 440 4bbl.

Moparpoolman

Pricing Advise, put it up on ebay with a reserve and "let 'er rip tater chip" .  a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay, period. :coolgleamA:

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: dreamcatcher on May 07, 2020, 07:44:27 AM
Trust me this is beyond restoration.

Thank you! I applaud your honest intentions.

You can post the VIN and photos of the car as it is so it's demise is public knowledge.

That way IF the car ever did come back from the dead, the information you post could be used to help prosecute the VIN swapper.  :cheers:

chargervert

What if someone restores the original unibody and rebuilds the car? Cars can be rebuilt these days. Firewalls,floor pans,frame rails,and tail panels are all readily available. One persons opinion on what is restorable can vary greatly from another persons.

odcics2

Without photos of the bad areas of this car, which sounds like many, hard to say if it's beyond saving or not.  :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

Quote from: odcics2 on May 08, 2020, 07:08:52 AM
Without photos of the bad areas of this car, which sounds like many, hard to say if it's beyond saving or not.  :Twocents:

Is any wing car beyond saving any more ?

It might not be a large percentage original parts from that VIN but how many restored cars are these days ?
Who says 50 % original or 40 or 30 or 20 %  is good ?
Where to draw the line ?

If you do not try to hide fixing up a crap box and take lots of pictures and openly post on internet no one in the future can not come across the info if they look

Think listing it on ebay with the VIN pictured and spelled out will get the best price

chargervert

If the Daytona from Stephens could be reconstructed, I am sure that this one could be as well. The market will determine the value of the finished car.

roadrunninmark

I understand that you are not selling it, but are helping.  My idea of the car was to take the body and use it to attach to a modern chassis.  I am starting to get into the Tesla craze and see quite a few "wrecks" selling on copart.  The superbird (and road runners) have almost the exact same wheelbase as the model S Tesla....116 in to 116.5.  I think it would pretty awesome of a conversion.  I would use basically everything on the outside plus the cab.  I would use everything else from the Tesla, including interior.  I can post up pics if you want, just PM me and I can give you my email.

70 sublime

Quote from: roadrunninmark on May 08, 2020, 02:43:00 PM
I understand that you are not selling it, but are helping.  My idea of the car was to take the body and use it to attach to a modern chassis.  I am starting to get into the Tesla craze and see quite a few "wrecks" selling on copart.  The superbird (and road runners) have almost the exact same wheelbase as the model S Tesla....116 in to 116.5.  I think it would pretty awesome of a conversion.  I would use basically everything on the outside plus the cab.  I would use everything else from the Tesla, including interior.  I can post up pics if you want, just PM me and I can give you my email.

You could build a clone a lot cheaper than using a real car for your conversion
Don't think an electric Superbird  would go over very well
my  :Twocents:

roadrunninmark

Probably not go over well with the purists, but I really don't care what other's might think.  It is all about enjoying what you got.  A lot of people enjoyed the Daytona clone body with the modern charger chassis.  Plus, since this car is so far gone, why not use it for something different.  Yes, you could use clone parts but you still need a cab and all.  The original poster said he doesn't want to see it rebodied, this way you are keeping most of the parts in their original form and having it back on the road. I think it would be really cool.  Here is my car, getting back on the road this year, the purists probably won't like this one either but everyone else who has seen it does...

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 08, 2020, 02:55:03 PM

Don't think an electric Superbird  would go over very well

If it was built on a Tesla S model (ludicrous or newer Raven powerplant) , your looking at approx 600-700 hp+/850-1000 ftlbs torque, quite healthy! I think this is the "next wave", and perhaps the last for keeping old iron road viable into the future as eventually I believe ICE's will be legislated into oblivion, and older antique/classic/collectable vehicles will be sidelined unless compliant with new clean air acts, and about the only way that can be achieved is thru alternate energy driveline systems... :scratchchin:

I can foresee a Tesla powered Superbird silently annihilate a Hellcat/Demon on the street or track/road course  :icon_smile_cool:

Mike

roadrunninmark

Mike, that is exactly what I was thinking about.  The model S P100D under the birds feathers would be an awesome machine.  The aero is already there, almost exactly the same wheelbase.  Now, if I can just get the two to meet!  :drool5:

Bird One

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on May 07, 2020, 06:17:21 PM
Quote from: dreamcatcher on May 07, 2020, 07:44:27 AM
Trust me this is beyond restoration.

Thank you! I applaud your honest intentions.

You can post the VIN and photos of the car as it is so it's demise is public knowledge.

That way IF the car ever did come back from the dead, the information you post could be used to help prosecute the VIN swapper.  :cheers:
[/quote