News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Max hp through a 69 alum RB 6bbl intake and stock carbs?

Started by dstryr, May 08, 2020, 02:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

I'll be putting the engine I had built in 2009 into an automatic car and a friend and I will go through it before dropping it in.   I was telling him the specs on the engine, heads are 440 Source ported to ~283 cfm intake side at .600 lift.  505" motor.   If we port match the intake to the heads but do no other modifications, what's the ballpark HP limit or flow limit of a stock 69 6bbl setup?  Never asked before.

Thanks!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

heyoldguy

Well I cannot tell you the maximum a 6BBL will do but I can tell you what our pump gas street 440 did with it. 592 HP @ 5,900 rpm and 500+ LB-FT from 3,200-6,000 rpm.

BSB67

Maximum sitting on top of what motor?  What cam? what compression ratio?, what exhaust?

IMO, 550 hp is not hard to do with a 500" pump gas street motor with full exhaust.  IMO, at 600 hp you are reaching the point of diminishing returns and are give up power to other manifolds.  I suspect that 650 to 675 is doable.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Nhra stock, with stock port windows and stock valves and stock cam lifts push 600 hp on the stock 6 pack intake with no problem.

dstryr

Thanks for the replies.  The dyno sheet from 2009 on this one was 598hp and 652lb/ft and I'm looking at going with a roller cam this time.  Might do a little more head work.  From past reading I was under the impression the stock intake and carb configuration could support 600+.  Really want to keep the mostly stock look of the 440Source heads and stamped valve covers.  ~10.2:1 compression  2" Dougs headers and full 3" exhaust to the chrome tips. 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

c00nhunterjoe

There is a guy running in stock with a 70 6 pack that makes 620. The 70 has different pistons then a 69 so he has an advantage. Again, stock lift cam, stock valve sizes. I assume you are not following those guidelines. The point is, the package will easily go over 600 horse. If you are looking for maximum power, the 6 pack will leave some power on the table, but it will still be no slouch

dstryr

The engine was in my 6bbl 69 road runner for 6 years and has been in a corner for the last 4.  Its actually going in the V2 69 6pack bee in my avatar.   Want to keep the fairly stock look though it won't sound stock by any stretch.   Has 440Source heads on it and Source 505" rotating assembly and IIRC ~.045-.050 quench.  Just looking to make stupid horsepower and will upgrade suspension and other components as $$ permits.  There's one track within 60 miles so hopefully will be able to do some of the racing in my old age :smilielol: that I wish I would have been doing in my younger years!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights

c00nhunterjoe

Bigger heads, bigger cubes, bigger cam. All things the nhra class does not have. 600+ on a 6 pack is no problem, again, the 6 pack will leave power onnthe table compared with a good 4 barrel and tall single plane, but how much power do you need and will reallybe able to put it to the ground? I say go for it, especially if you already have the 6 pack. Take your time tuning it.