News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger P/S swap

Started by 73-Charger-Canada, May 09, 2020, 11:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-Charger-Canada

Hi all, seeking advice. I'm swapping my 73 Charger from manual to power steering. I know a lot of people go the other way, but this is just a cool street driver. The car is (now) a 440 with a manual 4 speed on a small block k-frame with the Schumacher conversion mounts. I've got everything apart, and I am at the stage of putting the P/S box in (stock rebuild style, not Borgeson unit). It seems like the body of the box is hitting the lower control arm when I'm trying to get the box into the stock mounting position. Is it possible that I've gotten the wrong box? or is it just a crazy tight fit? I've compared the new box to the original power steering box, and the body that surrounds the steering shaft is significantly bigger in diameter. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks, Ian

73-Charger-Canada

Just realized, what I meant to say is I compared the new power steering box diameter to the original MANUAL steering box, and the PS box has a greater diameter. Maybe its a matter of taking out the stud that's on the outer side of the mounting flange before installing? would love any tips guys, thanks

ODZKing

Best I can do is share the few pictures I have before the engine went in of my 73. Prolly best to email them. ;)
The pump and pulley are different depending on BB/SB. Mine is BB

73-Charger-Canada

Just sent you a PM. Appreciate any insight! Mine is also a BB so it'll definitely help. And I got my pump and pulley (Saginaw style) off another 440 so that's all correct. Thank you!

73-Charger-Canada

Hi all, wanted to say thanks to ODZ for the photos. That was a huge help. Made me realize that the previous owner had used a stud instead of the bolt in the location furthest from the engine. Me trying to use the stud with the PS box was causing the problem. When I saw in ODZ's photos that each bolt is supposed to be the same, I realized I had to remove the stud and get the correct bolt. Seems easy, but this is my first Mopar so I never take anything for granted. Thanks very much all! Got the PS box in now and starting the rest of the reassembly

ODZKing

Quote from: 73-Charger-Canada on May 17, 2020, 10:28:34 AM
Hi all, wanted to say thanks to ODZ for the photos. That was a huge help. Made me realize that the previous owner had used a stud instead of the bolt in the location furthest from the engine. Me trying to use the stud with the PS box was causing the problem. When I saw in ODZ's photos that each bolt is supposed to be the same, I realized I had to remove the stud and get the correct bolt. Seems easy, but this is my first Mopar so I never take anything for granted. Thanks very much all! Got the PS box in now and starting the rest of the reassembly
Glad I could help, after all that is what we're all on here for to help each other.