News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuild a A-body heater box to B body?

Started by Jonas_N, May 09, 2020, 02:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas_N

Long story short: I bought this restored heater box 7 months ago from a guy that said it was for B-body.

Now when installing it I noticed one of the wires from the heater control was way too long and also the temp door did not have the same length of travel as the temp slider.
From googling I noticed I got a A body box.

Would it be possible to get a b body wire bracket and door and rebuild it? Or does it not look the same inside?

gtx6970

I dont think thats an A body heater box. An A body box is considerably shorter than B body box. Plus an A body box the mounting studs take a 1/4-20 hex nut.
B body boxes take a 5/16-18 nut

Need a better pic to say for sure

Jonas_N

Quote from: gtx6970 on May 09, 2020, 06:01:05 PM
I dont think thats an A body heater box. An A body box is considerably shorter than B body box. Plus an A body box the mounting studs take a 1/4-20 hex nut.
B body boxes take a 5/16-18 nut

Need a better pic to say for sure

Ok, yeah I just did a quick search on google, so it could be anything.

Here is the pic I found and the box is identical to mine.
Now, would it be possible to get the correct door lever and just switch?
(The rivets for the bracket seems to be at the same location as a original 68 heater box.)

gtx6970

That is definitely a B body box. no doubt

1966-67 boxes carry a different casting number on the case compared to a 1968-69 box

As far as internally, I cant remember if there is any difference or not. I have about a half dozen boxes here to redo someday. But they are stashed away and cant get to them very easily

As far as changing the lever , that requires a complete tear down and replace the door,,,lever / door is one piece.
And again, I dont remember if the were any different from one another

Jonas_N

Thanks for the info.
I will post a wanted ad to see if someone have the brackets and door from a donor box.

(My old one didnt have the brackets, it was in very poor shape.)