News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EGR Valve

Started by misty440, May 13, 2020, 08:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misty440

hey guys, will the EGR valve cause issues if it is not hooked up? It is not connected to anything and not plugged.  I am planning to remove it and make a block off plate unless someone can suggest where to find one to save me some time.
Thanks for everyone's advice
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

cdr

no problem as long as it is completely closed, not stuck open.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

misty440

Thanks, but what problems would it cause if it was stuck open?

John_Kunkel

Removing the EGR can actually decrease your gas mileage.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

misty440

thanks, my question is, my egr valve is not connected to anything right now, i do not know if this causes a problem or not? let say it was stuck open, what issue could that cause? if i remove it and block the hole is the only draw back lower mpg? lastly how fo i test if it works? do i plug it into a vacuum port off the carb or where should I plug it into? my current issue is the engine compartment gets extremely hot and if i am cruisin and decide to stoo and shut the car down she will not start easily and i need to let her cool down a bit before she runs again and i think its cause she is too hot, just curious if this is a contributor to the issue?
thanks again

DownZero

EGR valve will have nothing to do with a hot restart issue. It has no vacuum at idle and opens during cruise. If it sticks open that will usually result in rough idle/ stalling condition.

c00nhunterjoe

The sole purpose of egr is to lower combustion temperatures to reduce n0x, not increase fuel economy. It is a primitive emissions device.

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 14, 2020, 03:47:29 PM
The sole purpose of egr is to lower combustion temperatures to reduce n0x, not increase fuel economy. It is a primitive emissions device.

DING DING Chicken Dinner, THIS ^^^^^^^ and detonation
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

misty440

Since mine is not connected to anything would this be a cause of the engine compartment getting really hot? Where does this connect to? Looks like to port on it is tiny and I have a empty port on my Edelbrock carb but of a larger size. Does it connect to the carb?

c00nhunterjoe

It has no effect on heat in the engine compartment. What are you using to gauge tye compartment being too hot? If it is unplugged, dont worry about it. If it was hanging open it would cause a rough idle. If you are swapping intakes then remove it