News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is going on, I think I counted 9 Superbirds for sale on Ebay

Started by triple_green, May 14, 2020, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

At least 3 were six pack cars. Prices were pretty varied too. Some not numbers matching. Even a couple that were NOT nut and bolt restorations.

My questions:

On car had a build sheet and but no fender tag and a period correct motor but not #s matching. How much do those things hurt it's value. (This car has also been discussed in this Aero section)

Value of an unrestored car versus a nut and bolt restoration? I know it may be preference, but which gets more $$ and how much more? (a Mark Worman restoration is ~$70K)

How much does the Six Barrell add to the value, all else being the same. Does it help or hurt when the add a six barrel to a 4 barrel car?

Will having all these cars for sale at once hurt the price they get? (and with the stock market down 20%)

What about the value of a similarly optioned Daytona versus Superbird? 500 versus 2000 produced.

Sorry I know this is a lot of questions...just wondered what info you had or think.

Mark
3X green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

white

There will be more cars coming up for sale as the current state of the economy is weak.

AKcharger

Quote from: white on May 16, 2020, 05:57:47 AM
There will be more cars coming up for sale as the current state of the economy is weak.

:iagree:
This time next year there are gonna be some SMOKIN' deals on cars. Only ones that will really hold top dollar is Hemi/6pack and wings...true collectors cars in IMHO.  I predict by Sept people will start to put muscle cars they don't need on the market and ask full price. After 3 months of crickets they'll drop price, after 3 more months of crickets they'll start to get desperate as they are behind in mortgage/car payments and REALLY lower the price. Finally they'll take what they can get just to survive.

I hope I'm wrong  :rotz:

triple_green

I guess I asked way too many questions and no one wanted to answer.

I think there will be another deeper market crash after 2Q earning are released. So early-mid july...

Not sure these cars are affected by that too much unless someone is using them as a retirement savings and now would not be the time to sell and take a loss.

Peace out...

taxspeaker

I agree with AK and others-prices are not reflecting reality of the economic collapse, although there is clearly strong demand-I still get calls on the one I had for sale. Several of the listed ones have been for sale for a long time, with a couple being at such ridiculous prices that they will never sell. That alpine white plain jane 440 automatic for $350k has been for sale for a long time-only about 200-220 too high, heck there was a white hemi that went for that price, and the Richard Petty signature adds no value, just a neat thing-ask any of us that have the signature! The guys that got loans to buy these cars, the guys in the oil industry and the guys in the travel industry are already desperate and prices will fall in the next 6  months. I also think that you will be able to buy some of these from repo agents soon! I am hoping to see that triple green Daytona that was at Talladega come up-a gorgeous car!

triple_green

Tell me more about the triple green Daytona...(asking for a friend)

70 sublime

Quote from: triple_green on May 17, 2020, 10:49:06 AM
Tell me more about the triple green Daytona...(asking for a friend)

How does triple green work on a Daytona ?
I thought triple meant green interior , green paint and green vinyl top ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

taxspeaker

So I guess its double green-the absolute stunning car made me unable to count correctly!

held1823

this one, bob?

edit - never mind, you answered yes right above
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

triple_green

F8 F8, you dont seem to see many F8 daytonas. I love it

Same colors as my 66-1 68 Charger...

Beep Beep Dave

I don't think it is anything new to see 8 or 9 Superbirds for sale at any one time. Some auctions have 3 or 4 quite regularly.

As mentioned some of the same cars have been for sale for a long long time.

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

ACUDANUT

It's a buyers market right now for everything auto related.
Funeral homes continue to rob you blind and are making Bank.   :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Birdflu

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 22, 2020, 03:54:07 PM
It's a buyers market right now for everything auto related.
Funeral homes continue to rob you blind and are making Bank.   :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

I don't know if I can agree...two of my buddies just bought two different Mopars. One was a '70 Runner and the other a '70 T/A Challenger. Both cars, though priced right, were priced like it was last Summer prior to any Covid or substantial rise in unemployment and BOTH guys had a gun held to their head and had to 'jump' as there were other buyers trying to but the cars! Also, our drive line shop has been VERY busy! We don't take it for granted, as I know there are a lot of people suffering, but it's been overwhelming! The Federal stimulus checks were like the 'second coming' of a tax refund that our demographic of customers never saw coming! We're now faced with suspension and drive line related parts that have been consumed and there is going to be shortages! Two of our largest suppliers of suspension lift kits are looking at bare shelves as the Feds money overwhelmed the aftermarket and has created a parts vacuum. The classic car parts guys are in the same boat as cars that have been pickled for years are now getting attention. It's just really weird, there are extremes to both sides of the equation. OE repair shops and new car dealers are DEAD, but some of us are overwhelmed! CRAZY TIMES for sure!  :brickwall: 

aerolith

Hi triple green.

Yep three F8's on one tag is a LOT of GREEN!
I like F8, but just on the outside myself, not everywhere...  :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Some Mopars have been put out there at DOUBLE price, which in reality is three times their real value.
Too many cars on the market will let buyers know taht some folks are desperate.
So sellers double the price and take a 'big hit' to get back somewhere near the real value??? :shruggy:

Low Production figures normally demand better prices in the main.
But the C500's at 392 approx build number still only gets you R/T money for a super-rare car! :'( :'( :'(
My C500 one of 26 manuals should be $100,000 all day long compared with a 440 manual B-body at $50,000, but it don't.

Most REAL Moparfolks don't care about values cos they ain't selling their pride and joy.
They leave to a spotty teenager (son or daughter) who wants a house that they can't afford and then it gets SOLD!!! :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Loving the quote, 'the feds money has overwhelmed the market'!
We don't have FEDS in the UK and no one is handing out money for resto work here I can assure you. :rotz:
Any money we made from fixing mates Mopars has gone and our pensions are at an all time low.

My C500 that I have owned for 16 years is now going to pay my mortgage.
Mortgage hand outs from the Government stopped years ago and its hard to restore cars on $150 a month pension.
That don't even cover my GAS and ELECTRIC, forget about GASSING the MOPAR lol... :slap:

Corona nearly killed my wife in April, so I've had my 'gift from God' for this year.
Scraping 50 year old paint off and spending $30,000 on a resto seems pointless now... :shruggy:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

gregsrunner

Hello Triple Green,  I am not on this site often and I am surprised you haven't had alot of responses to your questions.  But I have been following Wing Car values for the last 20 years.  I have had six Birds and four Daytonas.  Currently have one Bird and two Daytonas.
The rarer the car the larger the deduction for NOM, buildsheet missing, etc.
A legible build sheet adds 10% to the value IMO
NOM can be as high as a 20% deduct IMO
Four speed can add 10-20% to the value IMO.  Seems to be 10 automatics for sale to one four speed.  So not only is this simple Economics but i have always felt a True Muscle Car is a four speed IMO
The price difference between a  Bird and a Daytona for years has not made sense.  There were almost four times as many Birds produced as Daytonas yet for many years the Birds in many cases have sold for more.  Wish i could explain this other than the Bird has the Meep-Meep horn and THE CRAZY BIRD all over it.  We know the Daytona is the better designed car but the Bird has the high impact colors available also.  I feel with there always being more Birds available, more people feel being more obtainable as well as the have more "POP" it has caused the prices to rise more over Daytonas. This is called Supply/Demand Reversal.
Now there will always be exceptions
There were 13 Wing cars that sold at Auction in January from a high of $346,500 (White Daytona)to a low of $130,900 for the B5 Bird painted Petty Blue.
I really don't like to use Auction sales as a guide as Iam sick of the comment "one just like mine sold at Barrett for $16 million so iam asking $17.5 million.  First of all we know the Auctions are a one off.   A Private sale does not have the hype of the Alcohol flowing, TV cameras rolling and the peer pressure of that letting that other sob outbid you.

So the reality is i like to deal with what did the seller net at the Auction.  When you consider the 8-10% commission, the transportation cost,  the time slot fee and any marketing the seller might have done, like a sign etc. 
The White 6-barrel auto 6K miles Bird netted the seller under $100k  the Apple Towing Ponzi seized Bird that wasn't very nice (painted Petty Blue) netted the seller about $107k. the Limelite 6 barrel 4 speed Bird netted around $260k ( the body/paint on this car was below standards)  The nicest 6 barrel 4 speed Bird at Barrett (Lemontwist) netted the seller around $170k
A private sale of a rebodied 6 barrell auto Bird sold for $165k 
So with net to seller in mind the Birds averaged about $150k, four speed Birds averaged $178k  6 barrel four speeds averaged $215k
Daytonas had an average of about $215k of the four i know of.
The R4 auto all matching that was rated a 1.4 at Barrett by Dave Wise and was truly a well done car netted under $155k
It did not make any sense.  So now all the real experts can chime in.  Please don't rip me too bad  I know Machado will ( he always does)
All i know is I would like to buy your Wing car for $125k and sell you mine for $225K :flame:  Have a Great Memorial.  Thanks goes out to all that have served.  ): :cheers:

triple_green

Hi Greg, Thanks for the very thorough answer. Are you the Greg who lives in Mt Vernon, WA?

I'm in Kent and went to the Mopars Unlimited shows(bellevue college, etc) for many years. I've had Triple_green since 1998. Maybe a Daytona driver someday in my future...I wouldn't want a car I'd be afraid to drive around.

Thanks again!

Mark

gregsrunner

Mark,  Yes that's me.  I am sure I have seen you around

69_500

Quote from: gregsrunner on May 24, 2020, 07:10:52 PM

Mark,  Yes that's me.  I am sure I have seen you around

Sweet so now there is yet another forum I can pester you on now, greg I still need a Daytona. So once your ready to get rid of one, send it my way. Your best pal Sean is going to send me your wife's number, as I hear she is the real decision maker.

gregsrunner