News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you have Harbor Freight jack stands, stop using them

Started by Fitz73Chrgr, May 19, 2020, 08:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

70charger_boy

Wow! I've been using my stands for 6 months straight. Thanks for the post :o

Gold Rush

Guess I was lucky!  Both my 3 Ton and 6 Ton Harbor Freight jack stands are in the time frame window but neither are included in the recall.   :icon_smile_tongue: :icon_smile_big:

I really was not looking forward to taking my '74 off the stands to return them so discovering this was a real nice start to my day.   I don't think there is any panic needed even it you do have the effected numbers.  Just the hassle of going through the motions...   Better safe than sorry!!!!!  ::) ::)
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Todd Wilson

That's a bad deal.  I have made it a rule over the years that I always have at least 2 and prefer 3 methods of keeping a vehicle up when I am under it.

Todd

Chargen69

I'm sorry, is it me? 

I watched a car fall off a jack right before my dad was to get under it, and worked in the news business where we shot footage of a guy that was crushed under a car.  maybe it is me then, but I determined a long time ago that I was never going to die under a car, seems like discount jack stands are a quick way to do it.

Mike DC

IMO the newer designs need to bring back some kind of locking pin so you know they're in a safe position.  That was much more idiot-proof on the old ones.  

tan top

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 20, 2020, 08:36:13 AM

IMO the newer designs need to bring back some kind of locking pin so you know they're in a safe position.  That was much more idiot-proof on the old ones.  

:iagree:

never liked the ratchet thingy type ! always thought they were a accident waiting to happen.

all of my 10 pairs jack stands are the pin type !  & were bought mid 80s  & early 90s , & are really over engineered !  & would never consider using any other type  :Twocents:
 the 2 &  6 ton stands i have ,  look like they are  6  & 10 ton stands compared to todays  computer design ones ,  ive seen the red ones in the picture above &  they were 2 ton, would not like to risk putting the charger on those  :Twocents:

that ratchet type jack stand is not that new,  sure they had them in  80s  early 90s  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

billssuperbird

Use them 2 Winners to have my car up in the air returned them yesterday

krops cars

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Aero426

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 20, 2020, 06:58:44 AM
That's a bad deal.  I have made it a rule over the years that I always have at least 2 and prefer 3 methods of keeping a vehicle up when I am under it.

Todd

Even when the stands are in place,  I rarely pull the jack all the way out. 

krops cars

70 sublime

Quote from: krops cars on May 22, 2020, 01:34:04 PM
I don't like pulling out either.

And how many kids do you have ?   :rofl: :rofl:

I could not resist

But anyways I like to leave the hydraulic jack under the car even with the weight sitting on the jack stands just in case
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Aero426 on May 22, 2020, 10:41:17 AM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 20, 2020, 06:58:44 AM

Todd

Even when the stands are in place,  I rarely pull the jack all the way out. 

Same here!  I work for the railroad and sometimes the MofW track guys will have to trim a brand new railroad tie with a chain saw. I have gathered several 1-2 foot pieces of tie over the years and some oak planks that I use for safety blocks.  I don't put weight on them but will stack under the car in case something bad happens with the jack and jack stands.

Todd

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 20, 2020, 08:36:13 AM

NEVER use a stand with the tube split to act as the legs of the stand. I have personally seen the welds fail at the bottom strap, leading the stand to mushroom as it collapsed...on my buddy.    Jacked it up, pulled him out.     This was back in the 70s.

krops cars

70 sublime I missed the how many kids do you have. That was good.

b5blue

H.F. chainsaws were recalled a while back, I happened to be looking for a new chain for mine and ended up with a free new saw!  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

QuoteNEVER use a stand with the tube split to act as the legs of the stand. I have personally seen the welds fail at the bottom strap, leading the stand to mushroom as it collapsed...on my buddy.    Jacked it up, pulled him out.     This was back in the 70s.

Yikes!  That sounds scary.

But, that said . . .  if we're worrying about major welds failing out of the blue, then most of the big tools/stands in the garage don't look safe anymore.  At some point we have to trust the manufacturers to do SOMETHING right.    

The failing HF ones are clearly just bad quality control.  IMO the modern design isn't bad, but it could use a separate locking pin deal to shore it up.  It would guarantee that the user doesn't have the ratchet against the top of a 'tooth' on the shaft piece instead of in between two teeth.  I've done that accidentally more than once.  

The upside of the modern design (over the old tube ones) is that the spacing between each tooth is pretty tight.  Finer adjustment of the height.  

odcics2

Check all your 'newer' imported stuff.  Hard to see a cold weld under paint, though.  
Is your life insurance paid up?  :o

Seriously, vintage USA brand names are the way to go, IMO.
I don't think a 50 year old  jack stand will suddenly fail.   A 10 year old Chinese built one??  Who knows!!

I also have some 50 year old stands with the pin style.
Uses angle iron for the legs and 'strap' part.  No rolled sheetmetal like the red ones pictured above.

Fitz73Chrgr

Took my Harbor Freight stands back to the store the other day.  They gave me a gift card for $43.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

375instroke

375instroke

krops cars