News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP!!! 8 3/4 rear end rebuild tutorial or step-by-step

Started by plasticman-32, May 20, 2020, 11:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticman-32

Hello guys
I'm rebuilding my 8 3/4 rear end I was wondering if anybody has a tutorial or step-by-step on how to do that there's a local shop here where I live that's charging me $360 just to put the stuff I have inside the reran the stuff I have is pictured below thanks guys

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Birdflu

Quote from: plasticman-32 on May 20, 2020, 11:42:37 AM
Hello guys
I'm rebuilding my 8 3/4 rear end I was wondering if anybody has a tutorial or step-by-step on how to do that there's a local shop here where I live that's charging me $360 just to put the stuff I have inside the reran the stuff I have is pictured below thanks guys

Just curious...what would you want them to charge to assemble a differential with parts you bought elsewhere? I think they're being VERY fair. Could cost you more than that to go to school.

c00nhunterjoe

Fwiw, if you brought me a CLEANED 8.75 pumpkin and your own bearing kit and new ring and pinion, i would charge you 200 bucks to do it. It it needs cleaned and prepped, the 360 price is fair. No warranty for customer supplied parts.

Challenger340

Measuring Pinion Depth for shims can be a PITA without a Pinion depth gauge ?
So what we did was honed out the "center" of an old Pinion Bearing so we could slide it ON/OFF and do tooth pattern checks with different thickness Pinion Shims more easily than 'pressing' it ON/OFF each attempt ?
other than that....
collapasing the Pinion Bearings spacer for adequate "preload' can be difficult ? I mean they say they are 'annealed' to be softer.... but still a PITA holding the Yoke while tightening the Pinion nut.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on May 23, 2020, 05:24:13 PM
Measuring Pinion Depth for shims can be a PITA without a Pinion depth gauge ?
So what we did was honed out the "center" of an old Pinion Bearing so we could slide it ON/OFF and do tooth pattern checks with different thickness Pinion Shims more easily than 'pressing' it ON/OFF each attempt ?
other than that....
collapasing the Pinion Bearings spacer for adequate "preload' can be difficult ? I mean they say they are 'annealed' to be softer.... but still a PITA holding the Yoke while tightening the Pinion nut.

I do the same. Its an easy trick.