News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird is back together and ready to fly. Who are you guys using for insurance?

Started by RSI700VIPER, May 21, 2020, 02:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSI700VIPER

I have Grundy now for my other cars, but they give no consideration to the number of cars I have.  I tried to explain that I can only drive 1 car at a time.  Grundy just prices out each car individually and adds the total.  Now that I'll be adding a big dollar car, I'm looking for options.  Is there a good company out there that has good rates and gives discounts for multiple cars?
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Birdflu

Left Hagerty and went with NCM. Better coverage, same agreed values, higher liability limits and our annual premium was cut almost in half! We do have 7 cars with them and fell into their 'collection' discount structure. In Hagerty's defense, those commercials you see on TV probably cost them a large chunk of change!  :Twocents:

taxspeaker

Quote from: Birdflu on May 21, 2020, 02:42:19 PM
Left Hagerty and went with NCM. Better coverage, same agreed values, higher liability limits and our annual premium was cut almost in half! We do have 7 cars with them and fell into their 'collection' discount structure. In Hagerty's defense, those commercials you see on TV probably cost them a large chunk of change!  :Twocents:
AGreed-added another car to NCM policy, still saved 33%

Aero426

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on May 21, 2020, 02:01:11 PM
I have Grundy now for my other cars, but they give no consideration to the number of cars I have.  I tried to explain that I can only drive 1 car at a time.  Grundy just prices out each car individually and adds the total. 

How many cars are we talking?   I don't know how you truly would get around this.   In my case,  88% of my premium is accounted for in the agreed value portion (collision and comp)  for each car.   But you should only have one car charged for liability, property damage, uninsured motorist, etc.    

You may consider calling an agent like Rally Insurance in Chicago.   They can get you a few different quotes from different collector insurers so you can compare them straight up.     My experience was that rates varied quite a bit.       

RSI700VIPER

How many cars are we talking?   I don't know how you truly would get around this.   In my case,  88% of my premium is accounted for in the agreed value portion (collision and comp)  for each car.   But you should only have one car charged for liability, property damage, uninsured motorist, etc.    

[/quote]

I currently have six cars that can be driven on the road. 

Aero426

Quote from: Birdflu on May 21, 2020, 02:42:19 PM
Left Hagerty and went with NCM. Better coverage, same agreed values, higher liability limits and our annual premium was cut almost in half! We do have 7 cars with them and fell into their 'collection' discount structure. In Hagerty's defense, those commercials you see on TV probably cost them a large chunk of change!  :Twocents:

Hagerty is the big gun and floods the zone with marketing.   As we saw here,  they are always the first mentioned in an insurance thread.

Every time I have requested a quote from Hagerty, it has been significantly higher than my final choice.   As in a LOT.     Interestingly enough,  they recently bought the book of business from my current insurer (Classic Collectors) whose rates have been quite favorable.   My policy will be expiring and Hagerty has sent me a quotation for acceptance.    I was really gripping the sides of my chair waiting for this quote to arrive given my past experience.    But I was pleased to see the quote is virtually the same as what I have been paying.  So I will take it for this coming year.   I can't figure out the why, but I will not ask a lot of questions.  

Aero426

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on May 21, 2020, 03:57:57 PM

I currently have six cars that can be driven on the road. 

The NCM thing seems like a good thing to check out.    Also, call Rally Insurance 800-801-1823 and have them work you up a few quotes.      Again, they are an agent for multiple lines and have saved me some money on home,  daily driver and the collector policy.     They have been EZ to deal with and are responsive. 

moparchris

I'm not familiar with NCM.  Who is that? I'm not too happy with my current insurer.

Mopar John

After a few years with Hagerty we switched to HEACOCK CLASSIC car insurance and never looked back!
MJ

Aero426

Quote from: moparchris on May 21, 2020, 04:27:07 PM
I'm not familiar with NCM.  Who is that? I'm not too happy with my current insurer.

NCM is tied in with the National Corvette Museum.    Adam Boca is the guy.   They are represented at big shows like MCACN.

https://ncminsurance.com/about-us/

FJ5WING

I was with Condon Skelly out of NJ from 1988 until a couple months ago. They did offer a multi car discount when I added a second car. I have nothing negative to say about them in fact when I had my 68 GTX stolen in 99 they couldn't have handled that any better.
For some reason Im not positive the discount applied throughout my time with them but they're worth the call!
wingless now, but still around.

kevs1969daytona

Hagerty, they ask for some pics, vin, and ask how much I thought it was worth, next day they agreed.  They also have roadside free assistance for your car, I have had to use it twice, zero issues.  :2thumbs: two thumbs up.  

billssuperbird

WINGIN IT

Had Hagerty for years until they wouldn't agree to my value on my car.
So I moved to Grundy.
I did like the Road Side Assistance ( it covers ALL your cars not just your collector vehicles ).
Not sure if NCM or other insurance companies have a Road Side Assistance program.
Anyone know?

taxspeaker

Joe, I am looking at my policy from NCM effective 6/1/20-21 (next week). They sent me insurance cards for all cars, as well as a roadside assistance card for all cars which covers any car I or my wife is driving for out of gas, accident, repair, lock out 24 hours a day for up to $100 including towing. Not quite as good as Hagerty but still great. Also covers trailers for tire change
Bob

69_500

I use Classic Auto Insurance. They are local to me but had cheaper rates and better coverage as Hagerty offered on the 500. Helps too that the owner of that company is a big car nut. I was delivering their water one day and a guy was on speaker phone asking to get coverage for a Superbird. I quickly sat the bottle down and went to chat.

70gtx440dana

I am in the process of changing over to AMIG:   https://www.amig.com/insurance/collector-car/

I have had JC Taylor for 15 years or so. AMIG saved me about $170/yr for the two cars I insure ($80,000 agreed value).
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

RSI700VIPER

Just signed with NCM.  4 cars with a combined agreed value of $260,000 for $770 anual premium.   All cars with collision,  $250k/$500k limits with zero deductibles.   That is way less than what Grundy was charging and it was a no hassle experience.  Thanks to all for the referral.  :cheers:

70 sublime

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on May 23, 2020, 07:23:32 AM
Just signed with NCM.  4 cars with a combined agreed value of $260,000 for $770 anual premium.   All cars with collision,  $250k/$500k limits with zero deductibles.   That is way less than what Grundy was charging and it was a no hassle experience.  Thanks to all for the referral.  :cheers:

Did you get anything in your policy if they write the car off you can get it back for free ?

I have this in my Hagerty
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Birdflu

:2thumbs:

70gtx440dana

Hah....it looks like NCM is underwritten by AMIG. The same company that I just changed to. Very interesting.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

gtx6970

When I had my Challenger I had JC Taylor.
Reason I went with them is a neighbor had them at the time for his 56 T bird. He had a claim and it was paid in 2 days. There customer service was 2nd to none.

For my next one thats who I will probably go  with

RSI700VIPER

Did you get anything in your policy if they write the car off you can get it back for free ?

I have this in my Hagerty
[/quote]

:scratchchin:
Didn't discuss that but I'll check it out. 

WINGIN IT

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 22, 2020, 11:29:27 AM
Joe, I am looking at my policy from NCM effective 6/1/20-21 (next week). They sent me insurance cards for all cars, as well as a roadside assistance card for all cars which covers any car I or my wife is driving for out of gas, accident, repair, lock out 24 hours a day for up to $100 including towing. Not quite as good as Hagerty but still great. Also covers trailers for tire change
Bob

Thanks Bob good to know.
I'll likely switch over come renewal time.