News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

US Gov. employees Making bank doing nothing

Started by ACUDANUT, May 22, 2020, 03:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I know of a least 200 plus Gov. employees getting paid full wages to sit at home and do nothing (almost 3 months now.).  WTF.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
What about the private companies..ZERO

XH29N0G

I don't think it is that bad and I know the government has not stopped working. I also know many many people are working from home in the public and private sector.  Still getting paid but still working.  Yes, a lot have lost jobs and that is a big problem for them and us.  But your friends who tell you they are getting paid for doing nothing isn't worth getting your panties in a bunch over.   

We are better off with discussing cars here and leaving that for some other forum.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Lennard

Quote from: XH29N0G on May 22, 2020, 05:16:42 PM
We are better off with discussing cars here and leaving that for some other forum.

:yesnod:

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

ACUDANUT

Quote from: XH29N0G on May 22, 2020, 05:16:42 PM
I don't think it is that bad and I know the government has not stopped working. I also know many many people are working from home in the public and private sector.  Still getting paid but still working.  Yes, a lot have lost jobs and that is a big problem for them and us.  But your friends who tell you they are getting paid for doing nothing isn't worth getting your panties in a bunch over.   

We have a section here for non related car topic's.

XH29N0G

I understand the frustration, but I do not think the situation is that bad vis a vis pay and work.  The car thing was simply because the topic was veering to government workers are not doing and that is a hop skip and a jump away from topics and political agendas.   :Twocents: 

Or maybe it protects us. 

ACUDANUT

Quote from: XH29N0G on May 23, 2020, 10:20:50 AM
I understand the frustration, but I do not think the situation is that bad vis a vis pay and work.  The car thing was simply because the topic was veering to government workers are not doing and that is a hop skip and a jump away from topics and political agendas.   :Twocents: 

There is only right or wrong here. NO POLITIC's. Just a waste of our Money.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 22, 2020, 03:30:50 PM
  I know of a least 200 plus Gov. employees getting paid full wages to sit at home and do nothing

Good possibility that when they are on the job they're still doing nothing. AMHIK

The Civil Service is a system that propagates itself.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

I disagree that topics related to how society and government does things and spends money are entirely apolitical.

And as I wrote above, I don't think it is as bad a situation as you describe.  I know plenty of people in the public sector that continue to work hard.

Or maybe it protects us. 

b5blue

We are not happy till you are not happy. Job done!  :2thumbs:

Birdflu

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 23, 2020, 11:19:56 AM

Good possibility that when they are on the job they're still doing nothing. AMHIK

The Civil Service is a system that propagates itself.

Well said!  :yesnod:

ACUDANUT

Well, Let's pay everyone full wages to do nothing.  I'm game.
You can't think this is fair, unless you or your wife is enjoying this paid holiday.

XH29N0G

I'm game too.  

First off, I don't view my case as a paid holiday. I have been working from home and I was in at work today setting up for reopening and to enable some work by people who work on my team this coming week.  

I am guessing by fair and paid holiday you mean some people might not be working and instead treating it as a paid holiday.  Sure that might not be fair (can I use the words sensu stricto?) but it depends on the situation and what the collateral losses are by not doing what has been done.  Take the person who was cleaning my house.  I decided to pay them but said they should stay home to avoid transmitting to us or catching from us. They still have bills and this is my personal choice.  It also means they will likely keep working for me after COVID passes.

Second, by my math $2T would have paid the entire 160 million US workforce a few months of the average 50K yearly earnings.  In effect we already could have and did invest that in the private sector.  The only difference is that the money mostly went to the business priorities that the government has and not directly to the people like you and others here. Those who work for companies that were bailed out, but kept them on payroll are in the same situation.  I imagine some of those are effectively paid to do nothing because there is nothing (right now) that they can do.  

Sure it isn't fair in a strict sense (like my kids used to say) but in the bigger picture it probably comes back and benefits us all more than being strictly fair and firing those people would be.  I do not know the full scope of what the decision making process was.  I am guessing it is something along the lines of "it will cost us this much if we this...."  and "it will cost us that much if we do that..."

The people with the money decide. Their decision was to support business and keep the people they had in government working.  If you don't like the way the people in power are doing things, vote for change.  It is a Republican Administration and Senate and a conservative court.  

Right now, I am saving and waiting because I have been told to expect deep furloughs in the coming year(s).  I'll keep working and sure that isn't 'fair' in the way my kids would say, but it might be better for me than losing my job.   :Twocents:

Apologies for rambling.  I think we see the same thing and have two different views on it. I think we probably have pretty similar views on cars, and I think (am cannot guarantee) that I will do my best to let this argument rest.  If you want to keep arguing, keep asking me and I may respond.  But I really do think our focus should be on cars rather than how the government pays its workers and how it gives handouts to prop business up.

We also might use a graded system.  In my family we scale the ice cream serving to the age of the person being served.  That means I always get much more than my kids, but they know it is fair because I am much older.

Or maybe it protects us. 

odcics2

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 24, 2020, 02:15:45 PM
Well, Let's pay everyone full wages to do nothing.  I'm game.
You can't think this is fair, unless you or your wife is enjoying this paid holiday.

Well, they have been doing it in D.C. for a few years!   :smilielol:

Mike DC

QuoteSecond, by my math $2T would have paid the entire 160 million US workforce a few months of the average 50K yearly earnings.  In effect we already could have and did invest that in the private sector.  The only difference is that the money mostly went to the business priorities that the government has and not directly to the people like you and others here. Those who work for companies that were bailed out, but kept them on payroll are in the same situation.  I imagine some of those are effectively paid to do nothing because there is nothing (right now) that they can do.  

The govt has printed about $5 trillion extra cash in the Covid period.

Current US population over 18yo, legal citizens, and not in prison = 233 million.  That's about $21,000 apiece.  

alfaitalia

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 24, 2020, 02:15:45 PM
Well, Let's pay everyone full wages to do nothing.  I'm game.

Ive just gone back to work (Tuesday)...but until that point (so for two months in my case)all employees get a gov funded 85% of your salary (up to a limit or about £2500). Many companies would have gone bust and many more lost their jobs without the furlough scheme.
An expensive thing to do for the nation....but I would have cost a lot more in the long run to lose all those jobs and businesses.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mytur Binsdirti

I know a woman is a school crossing guard in the town where she lives & she has been collecting full pay for the past 3 months even though she's sitting at home.

timmycharger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 27, 2020, 05:38:48 AM
I know a woman is a school crossing guard in the town where she lives & she has been collecting full pay for the past 3 months even though she's sitting at home.

So you are saying she wasn't one of the many protesting the Governor's lockdown order demanding to reopen? 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: timmycharger on May 27, 2020, 12:39:24 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 27, 2020, 05:38:48 AM

So you are saying she wasn't one of the many protesting the Governor's lockdown order demanding to reopen? 

It may be hard to believe, but no she wasn't.

ACUDANUT

Almost 5 months into this crap, and my Neighbor who is a chemist (works for the Gov.) Keeps rubbing this in my face....  A Chemist can't do Chemistry at home. But he is happy.  :brickwall: :brickwall:

RallyeMike

Government employees are always a target, and some part of it is deserved. It's because government is managed to spend everything they have, vs. private sector is managed to limit spending to achieve profits. However, during these times there are also private sector people who's paychecks are being covered by government "loans" (we all know they will be written off) who also are going to work and doing nothing. I'm sure you wouldnt be complaining if you faced being paid to do nothing or being unemployed.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

XH29N0G

My guess is your neighbor is doing it to piss you off.  As you know, I am in the public sector.  I have a lab and the bench work cannot be done except in the lab.  Not being able to get to the lab has meant that I have done other types of work.  Some of it is math related, some of it is building stuff at home, and some is changing focus.  I am busier now than normal and would really like to get back to the lab. 

I read an article yesterday about govt bailouts to companies that basically shows the same sort of waste.  Some companies were using them to pay bonuses to the CEOs and board members and then declare bankruptcy. Perfectly legal, but seems a bit crazy - both sides of it.  Just sayin, it isn't just govt.  It is different parts of the economy.  Do I get a little frustrated by it?  Sure, a little, but I also realize that keeping businesses solvent and people paid may also be keeping us afloat.  It also may be keeping my retirement fund which is in the market alive.  The market though is really weird and disconnected from the people and jobs.  I suspect the money is helping to keep it afloat and the people with money know that.

Or maybe it protects us. 

ACUDANUT

All I am saying is that "we" tax payers are paying Fed employee's to stay home and do nothing. I also have a friend who works for the IRS.  He is happy to get paid and does nothing....
I am going to switch jobs, I swear. eeerrrrrr

odcics2

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 13, 2020, 03:08:36 PM
All I am saying is that "we" tax payers are paying Fed employee's to stay home and do nothing. I also have a friend who works for the IRS.  He is happy to get paid and does nothing....
I am going to switch jobs, I swear. eeerrrrrr

Nothing new here. "We" taxpayers have been paying the clowns in D.C. (both sides of aisle) for decades without positive results.

Since the 1950s, jobs going overseas. Hungry people. Mega rich folks, off the backs of the regular working class.       
Promises made, promises broken.  Both sides to blame.   :Twocents:     

XH29N0G

That is some in govt.  I have an IRS person across the street - working her butt off - from home. I'll also point out that we the taxpayers are also paying business.  We need both.  My guess is that your neighbor is doing it to wind you up because he/she knows it will piss you off.   Just saying there are many who are working hard and have worked hard.  I am part of that group.  My former boss (also part of that group and a chemist) said the time was allowing a lot of loose ends to be tied up.  This means finishing reports and projects that were not possible before.  This is good.  He doesn't stop and never would.  Not his personality.  If your neighbor is a slacker - that is his issue and not a good one.  I seen some like that and they piss me off too.  But I repeat it ain't all of us or even most of us.

Or maybe it protects us. 

451-74Charger

I havent been allowed to work from home (and due to my job, i wouldnt expect I would be).
I have had to make it so all of our staff can work remote though. It bugs the crap out of me to go through all the work needed to make it happen, only to have some of them tell me they are coming back in, 2 days after I jumped through hoops for them.
I would love to work from home, my wife does right now, but expects to be called back in to work the office any day now.

At least I still have a job, can support my family and help the Government support "some" of the people that need help.

Rolling_Thunder

Difficult pill to swallow but the reality is the federal workers need to be paid to keep them employed. Take my current job - federal and has reduced manning given the social distancing thing and the lower work load because CA is still basically a prison. The harsh reality is government workers, at least in my job, require quite a bit of initial investment to get qualified for the job- on average taking about two years to conduct the hiring process. If you don't pay these worker they can simply pass on to greener pastures and leave the government in a significant lurch when things semi-return to normal. Imagine 25% of the workforce leaves - can you imagine hiring around 10,000 people, conducting their SSBIs, get them through 6-7 month training academies, and then one year OJT to get fully certified? It would be a monumental cost in both lack of production and payout of re-training that many people in a short time.

Not saying it's right or wrong - but I imagine that is somewhat the thought process - it's cheaper to just pay the salaries (that are already projected during the annual budget) than the added costs of replacing/retraining  :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HeavyFuel

Quote from: XH29N0G on July 14, 2020, 04:50:41 PM
That is some in govt.  I have an IRS person across the street - working her butt off - from home. I'll also point out that we the taxpayers are also paying business.  We need both.  My guess is that your neighbor is doing it to wind you up because he/she knows it will piss you off.   Just saying there are many who are working hard and have worked hard.  I am part of that group.  My former boss (also part of that group and a chemist) said the time was allowing a lot of loose ends to be tied up.  This means finishing reports and projects that were not possible before.  This is good.  He doesn't stop and never would.  Not his personality.  If your neighbor is a slacker - that is his issue and not a good one.  I seen some like that and they piss me off too.  But I repeat it ain't all of us or even most of us.

I agree... 

...and highly doubt there are very many Feds that are instructed to "Go home and fuck off.. your paycheck and job is secure."  There are some that will take advantage....but the intent of teleworking is to do the best you can to accomplish work given the circumstances.

There is accountability...however some supervisors and subordinates don't hold themselves accountable.

The problem isn't always the 'system'.  Personal integrity is still a thing.