News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lets play the pick it apart game on an expensive Charger

Started by 70 sublime, May 22, 2020, 09:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgold69

missing the two brackets that bolt to the frame next to the exhaust tip hangers

hemi-hampton

Kern Dog

The valance looks too upright instead of angled downward. I'm not against a filled valance corner if it is welded and has the right shape.
Yeah, that rear brake line is REAL great!
Wrinkly headliner? Sometimes they flatten out, sometimes they don't.

It reminds me of my own car a LOT!

Kern Dog

Someone liked it enough to buy it already. The ad is gone!

b5blue

bigdsul

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 23, 2020, 08:04:52 AM
All the problems are easy fixes ( well maybe not the rear valance corners ) but the car is a long way from perfect and $99500

So next debate

How much would this car be worth if it was perfect ?
$75000 ?

And the way it sits ?
$50000 ?

I wouldn't pay 50k for it either. To make the body right would be a ton of work plus all that time and effort to paint it back up even if just focusing on the lower 1/3 of the car.

I found it better to find a project car and at least know what needs to be done than find a finished car that could have all sorts of corners cut along the way. If the car had pictures of the restoration along the way it could be helpful but again corners could be cut.

Kern Dog

As one that has seen a lot but not everything....
The short cuts many speak of are not a fatal blow to the car. Even some of the crappiest bodywork can hold together for many years before a failure. A buddy had a 71 Challenger done at a shop, fiberglass over a rusty cowl, over rusty lower quarters....all without him knowing until after the car was painted. He had the car 13 years and those areas never cracked or failed. He only found out about the manner of the work when a former employee of that shop saw the car at a car show and they got to talking.
I'm not approving of short cuts but they don't mean that the car will start falling apart immediately. I don't see a point to paying top dollar for one but I'm not ignorant enough to think the car is worthless either.
It is easy for people to bash someones build and pick it apart. I recall seeing some members here post up their low dollar repairs or builds and many, many members cheering them on for it. One guy did a 69 Charger body over a Chrysler 300 chassis or something like that. I thought it looked terrible but others complimented the work and rooted for him.
My own '70 project is not a high dollar build and I know that some are probably shaking their heads at some of my cheap tactics.
If these cars that are built on the cheap were members cars, I'll bet the critics would be less vocal. When the owners are unknown, it seems easier to just criticize rather than hold back.
Its like when you look at women in a magazine. Some people look to pick her apart too. Boobs too small, ugly face, ass too big BUT if we knew her or her family, we'd be far more polite about it.

INTMD8

The problem with falling between the range of top dollar and worthless is, no one wants to buy a "restored" car and have to tear it down and do a complete a year later.

Not enough price difference between the two to justify the lower end, sellers are hoping buyers don't recognize the difference.

Wouldn't say anyone really holds back here.  Not that I built it but when I posted pics of my newly acquired 68 here it was more or less picked apart despite being the nicest Charger I've ever laid my eyes on.

I don't shake my head at what you're doing. Quality and cost are independent of one another and that delta increases when you're a skilled person doing their own work.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

hemi-hampton

Any time I've posted pics of my work in the past it got nit picked. Never forget Tuffcat complaining the front sway bar was to big & not factory or Brian complaining I didn't take the front door glass out. I work closely with the Customers & do what they want or want to pay for. :shruggy:

Kern Dog

I'm sure that some will recall the posts from CB restorations where he dragged home a rusty hulk and people gushed and praised him for the great score.
Some of the cars he posted were so far gone, only a guy working by himself could repair it cost effectively.

John Milner

I agree that the car is way overpriced and has some issues just like my own 68 has some issues.  However, this is nice car that I think anyone here would drive.  It is better than the car sitting torn apart or rusting away in a field.  Kern Dog nailed it when he said it is easy to pick apart someone's car when we don't know them or they aren't around.  I'm not sure if any of these cars were ever "perfect" off of the assembly line when new.   

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 09, 2020, 08:40:46 PM
As one that has seen a lot but not everything....
The short cuts many speak of are not a fatal blow to the car. Even some of the crappiest bodywork can hold together for many years before a failure. A buddy had a 71 Challenger done at a shop, fiberglass over a rusty cowl, over rusty lower quarters....all without him knowing until after the car was painted. He had the car 13 years and those areas never cracked or failed. He only found out about the manner of the work when a former employee of that shop saw the car at a car show and they got to talking.
I'm not approving of short cuts but they don't mean that the car will start falling apart immediately. I don't see a point to paying top dollar for one but I'm not ignorant enough to think the car is worthless either.
It is easy for people to bash someones build and pick it apart. I recall seeing some members here post up their low dollar repairs or builds and many, many members cheering them on for it. One guy did a 69 Charger body over a Chrysler 300 chassis or something like that. I thought it looked terrible but others complimented the work and rooted for him.
My own '70 project is not a high dollar build and I know that some are probably shaking their heads at some of my cheap tactics.
If these cars that are built on the cheap were members cars, I'll bet the critics would be less vocal. When the owners are unknown, it seems easier to just criticize rather than hold back.
Its like when you look at women in a magazine. Some people look to pick her apart too. Boobs too small, ugly face, ass too big BUT if we knew her or her family, we'd be far more polite about it.

You make valid points.  It probably is a nice car.  

It's rational for everyone to pick the car apart.....I believe the entire tone of this thread would be different if the seller wasn't asking a premium price for a nice car.