News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Raw fuel smell sometimes

Started by comet_666, May 23, 2020, 03:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Running Fi-tech and sometimes this smells like raw gas, very strong. It has always been this way, so much so the guy who installed it put an aluminum plate on the back of the air cleaner. I want to start looking for the culprit. It does not appear to be running too rich and its usually after I give it a little throttle.
Thoughts on where I can start looking?

green69rt

Because FI runs at high gasoline pressure, start with the output of the fuel pump and work towards the injectors. Sometimes you can feel the wetness of the leak spot.  On my truck, it was at the fuel pressure regulator, I could wipe my fingers around and it would come back with some residue.  You can smell the gas on the residue.  If this has been going on since installation then probably just a bad fitting.

comet_666

I dont see any indication of fuel leak /seepage at all anywhere.

ACUDANUT

All 50 year old cars smell of fuel and exhaust.  :2thumbs:

comet_666

lol yes, while true, this can be to an eye watering level which is bad.

ODZKing

Are you sure it is coming from the engine bay and not the tank? Vented cap etc. sometimes have a strong odor and can be deceiving as to where it is coming from.  :shruggy:

green69rt

Quote from: comet_666 on May 23, 2020, 04:43:21 PM

When I had a leak on my pickup, I didn't see anything either.  I had to run my fingers over the joints to discover the leak. My leak was intermittent so I never saw any liquid, just felt the residue.
I started looking because I was getting bursts of gas smell at odd times such as stopped at a light or pulling into my garage or just driving down the road. I'd get a burst and pull over and open the hood,  then I could smell it a little but less than the "burst".  It was a mystery for several days.  Got me really worried because of the fire danger.  Finally did the finger test and found that it was the fuel pressure regulator.  Good luck, a little gas can make a big smell.

comet_666

Quote from: ODZKing on May 24, 2020, 07:47:42 AM
Are you sure it is coming from the engine bay and not the tank? Vented cap etc. sometimes have a strong odor and can be deceiving as to where it is coming from.  :shruggy:
Not 100% positive but the guy who installed it for sure smelled it and thats why he put block off on backside of air filter so the smell was not "as bad"

comet_666

Quote from: green69rt on May 24, 2020, 07:53:41 AM
Quote from: comet_666 on May 23, 2020, 04:43:21 PM

When I had a leak on my pickup, I didn't see anything either.  I had to run my fingers over the joints to discover the leak. My leak was intermittent so I never saw any liquid, just felt the residue.
I started looking because I was getting bursts of gas smell at odd times such as stopped at a light or pulling into my garage or just driving down the road. I'd get a burst and pull over and open the hood,  then I could smell it a little but less than the "burst".  It was a mystery for several days.  Got me really worried because of the fire danger.  Finally did the finger test and found that it was the fuel pressure regulator.  Good luck, a little gas can make a big smell.
i'm going to dive into this more today, i have never seen any indication however your description seems spot on.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: comet_666 on May 24, 2020, 07:20:34 AM
lol yes, while true, this can be to an eye watering level which is bad.

Try growing up in the 60-70's.

WHITE AND RED 69

How is your vent setup at the tank? Where is it vented to?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

comet_666

I am not sure, ill have to climb under there and take a peek, I was interested to find out anyway. I drove it yesterday for a bit and no smell? It was only a few miles and I took my gf because she can smell much better than I can.

comet_666

Just took it for yet another run, no smell. Only things I did was check for leaks /wet fuel lines and found nothing, all AN fittings are good.
I also leaned it out slightly. I did notice I had that air cleaner assembly crushed way down, not sure of this may have been kinking something there or not but those are the only things I have done.
I'm guessing in a few days it will sneak back on me lol.