News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 torque converter

Started by jwells1993, May 27, 2020, 03:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwells1993

sorry if this a dumb question but im putting a new trans in my car and my old torque converter has a butterfly weight on it and everything ive looked up for stock vehicle is showing 2 different weight ratios not having any luck on figuring out which one i have anyone have any recommendations? thanks in advance
keep on keepin on

jlatessa

What engine did your old convertor come from?

Some convertors have weights for convertor balance
AND a weight to compensate for an externally balanced engine.

Any pics available?

Joe

PS NO dumb questions

John_Kunkel

What transmission/year/engine?

Generally, the large triangular weight is used from '78-on. Previous to that, two weights of the same mass on either side of the drain plug were used but when the drain plug was omitted in '78 they went to a single weight.

Either one will work as long as it's the correct total weight for your installation.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jwells1993

it is a 440 and 727 out of a 1978 van winnebago
keep on keepin on

jwells1993

this one looks like weights been added on if i have to do that ill do it but id rather just get the right one and not have to worry about it being off
keep on keepin on

c00nhunterjoe

jwells1993

keep on keepin on

green69rt

69 Charger 383 2BBL

John_Kunkel

A cast crank 440 needs 100 grams of external weight, the 100-gram triangular weight is 1.175" wide on the narrow side.  The factory spot welded the weights but t's not unusual to find the weight welded as shown...rebuilders do it that way. The pictured converter has no drain plug so it's '78-later.

jwells1993

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 29, 2020, 02:14:19 PM
A cast crank 440 needs 100 grams of external weight, the 100-gram triangular weight is 1.175" wide on the narrow side.  The factory spot welded the weights but t's not unusual to find the weight welded as shown...rebuilders do it that way. The pictured converter has no drain plug so it's '78-later.

so your sayin that theirs just one type of weight for the 78 or later? wonder why it was popping up a whole bunch of different ratios and i believe the old trans was rebuilt at one time and i think i had the sprague bearing let go which is why i got a new trans and getting a new torque converter
keep on keepin on

John_Kunkel

Because the drain plug was eliminated, there was no longer a need for two separate weights so, yes, after '77 all factory weights were one-piece. The 440 and 360LA used the triangular weight and the 5.9 Magnum had a square weight. Any other info is, simply, wrong.

Rebuilders don't have to play by any rules so one might find any weight configuration on a rebuilt.

Also worth noting is that after '77 there were no longer 11 3/4" (12") converters, all converters from that point on are 10 3/4" (11").

jwells1993

ok thank you i ordered an 11 inch with a 100 gram weight
keep on keepin on