News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sun Tach - How accurate - How to check?

Started by XH29N0G, May 28, 2020, 06:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

All - 

I have been working on an Arduino based (economical) way to monitor things like A/F (I have an A/F meter), RPM, Manifold vacuum (I bought a little sensor), acceleration (also bought a sensor), and maybe some other things that I can tap in as 0-5 volts, and time.  I'm figuring it will provide a lot of information for pretty cheap.  The issue is whether I can verify that the information is accurate enough to be useful.

My Dilemma:  I'm getting mismatches of up to 15% between my sun tach, the Arduino-based measurement, and a measurement made on an old Craftsman engine analyzer. I have not yet gone through the math of speed vs RPM to check any of these and suspect this is the way to proceed, but I am wondering if some of the collective knowledge can help because I do not know whether there are biases in my Arduino based measurements or if my sun tach is correct.  It is encouraging that the Arduino gives a reading in between the Sun and the craftsman measurements. 

First question: Any thoughts on the accuracy and biases of the sun tach measurements?
Second question:  Any comments on how I am making my Arduino based measurements?  (I am measuring the time in milliseconds between peaks using the PulseInLong function and then accounting for the fact that is it a square wave and the duty cycle is 22.5% for the MSD 6AL tach output (so I use .775))  I am looking for biases or problems I might have since I really am a novice at this.

Thanks.

I'll keep people posted if this works. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

"A man with a watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure."
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

SO I have 4 watches.  two I bought and two I made. 

I think the sun tach is reading high.  To be fair, I pulled the sun tach from its case and installed it in the dash.

I think the next test will be a drive where I mark speed and compare with RPM.

I'll keep people updated.

I just thought maybe there would be someone who would say they had experience.

Or maybe it protects us. 

XH29N0G

I am making progress and don't have it foolproof, but I was able to log the RPM and confirm they were correct.  I also managed to capture A/F and vacuum.

Here is what I have so far.  My tach numbers had to be cleaned because I am measuring peak to peak time and sometimes this drops out to give a very short (high RPM) flier. 

But overall, I am pleased with the progress and seeing everything line up.  This is just pushing the pedal down in first and then letting up.  The vacuum rises and A/F drop as RPM rise and then do the opposite when I let off the gas. 

Now I need to replace tires and try it with the full run of gears.

Or maybe it protects us. 

XH29N0G

Some more tests and an update.

I decided to add the pulse times on adjacent high and low pulses to get an average pulse length with out assuming the duty cycle.  This seems to work a little better, but it still gives some pulses that are too short by a lot.  I am now filtering out the short pulses.  I may try an alternative function. 

Or maybe it protects us.