News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve cover bolts on a Superbird 440

Started by Repsol17, May 31, 2020, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repsol17

I'm putting the original valve covers back on.  The original owner had on a set of the black aluminum Mopar covers with the "T" bar hold downs.

With the original covers, I was given a bag of 12 valve cover bolts.  Only eight (pic 1 and 2) bolts are identical in length/head with an "anchor" stamped on the head.  Three (not shown) looking like normal bolts and one (pic 3) being double threaded with a fixed nut in the middle.

My questions are:

1) Was all 12 bolts identical ? and if not what should I be looking for so that I may have a complete set of original hold down bolts

Thanks
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

DAY CLONA

OEM is 8 bolts with captive washer, 4 studs with nuts/captive washer, the studs are for the 4 outer corners/2 per head

Mike

Repsol17

Thanks Mike, so it seems I need to find 3 of the studs with nut and captive washers.

Are they hard to find?

And out of curiosity.... Any particular reason the four outer corners we're different from the other eight?

odcics2

A pair of studs on a head would help get the cover on faster on the assembly line.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Repsol17

Quote from: odcics2 on May 31, 2020, 12:34:59 PM
A pair of studs on a head would help get the cover on faster on the assembly line.
Makes perfect sense

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Repsol17 on May 31, 2020, 01:33:17 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on May 31, 2020, 12:34:59 PM
Makes perfect sense

Assyline install and the fact early RB motors only had 4 bolts initially and the corners leaked like a sieve, I think the corner studs were added in 1966 or 67 on up

Mike

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Repsol17 on May 31, 2020, 11:16:26 AM
Thanks Mike, so it seems I need to find 3 of the studs with nut and captive washers.

Are they hard to find?

And out of curiosity.... Any particular reason the four outer corners we're different from the other eight?

Frank Badalson has the correct set available...