News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger, anyone remove the AC vents?

Started by Spartan, June 02, 2020, 06:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Anyone with factory AC on a 69 Charger ever remove the side vents on the dash? I was attempting to take them out to clean them. Getting the hose off was easy but when I went To take them out I saw the direction control knob under the dash.  I was afraid to put any pressure on it since these are all original but I would like to get them out and get rid of the crud. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

timmycharger

If I remember correctly, the knob has a small set screw holding it on the shaft. Once that knob is off, I believe there are screws at the top and bottom of the vent housing holding it in.

Spartan

A set screw.. I will look for that. I hope that's it. The top and bottom screws I was good with, it's just that darn knob I don't want to bust..  on the same lines, anyone ever paint the silver square line around the center vent? Mine is half worn off and would like to make it look new since I have the guts out anyway.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

timmycharger

Yep, it should be on the back/round part of the knob.  Regarding the center vent, some others may chime in but you can send it out to be re chromed or do what I and others did, get some chrome tape (I used chrome pin stripe from Auto Zone) and take your time, use a razor for clean cuts.

edit: added a pic of the set screw on the knob  :Twocents:

Good luck with your project  :cheers:

Spartan

Spartan

Is that picture yours or did you Find it on the web? I have been under the dash for a couple hours now and can't get any of my Allen wrenches to bite. I can't see into the hole if it is an Allen or Phillips or what it might be.  I tried the cell phone camera trick too and it didn't work. The knob won't rotate enough to get a look inside it so it's a blind hole.  Agh...

Spartan

Never mind.  I dug through my tool box and found and oddball tiny Allen wrench. Quarter turn and it fell right out.  I got it.