News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cheap shop floor ideas

Started by miller time, June 07, 2020, 09:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

Hey y'all, so I recently bought property and a house and it has a couple out buildings on it, one is big enough to park four long bed crew cab pickups in. So anyways as I am not made of money I'd like to make a cheap temporary floor that an engine hoist and floor jack and jack stands can be used on. Concrete is like $1,300 for a truck and the building isn't where I want it so it would be pretty expensive to throw away later. My buddy suggested 5/8 plywood but how could I use 4x8 sheets to cover a 300 sqft area and still be stupid tiny metal wheel friendly?
The floor is currently millings that would be removed and repurposed

Dodgecharger74

I made a temp floor out of 2x6 PT   I park small equipment in 30 x30 building  it is still good   about 10 years old
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

RallyeMike

Nothing beats concrete for stability and smoothness. You can always have have a concrete pad of whatever size in the building and the rest of it be millings. The work can be done on the pad and this rest of the building storage. If you "are not made of money" the building is going to be right where it is for awhile. The pad can later be used for the floor of a smaller outbuilding, parking spot, BBQ area, or other creative ideas.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

green69rt

You don't have to pave the whole thing, just a 8 X 20 pad would support your car stands, etc.

8' X 20" X 4" = 54 cuft or 2 cubic yards.  That's a lot less that half a truck load.

RallyeMike

I think I said that!

FYI you'll probabaly get an extra charge for a load short of 9, so consider that when you price out how much you want to lay down..
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

green69rt

Quote from: RallyeMike on June 09, 2020, 05:45:42 PM
I think I said that!

FYI you'll probabaly get an extra charge for a load short of 9, so consider that when you price out how much you want to lay down..

Sorry, I did not read carefully, still a decent idea.

Instead of having it delivered, there is a plant, here in Houston, that will sell you concrete by the yard and lend you a small trailer to haul it home in.  The one here is a one yard trailer so would need two trips.  Got anything like that around you?  The worst case is to buy bags and mix it on site. 

At Home Depot, bulk Quikrete is $2.56 a bag.  100 bags would get you a 10 X 20 slab 4 inches thick.   You might get to get it delivered for a fee. I wouldn't want to do it but it's another possibility.  :shruggy:

b5blue

Drop the K frame, hoist the body, leave the engine/tranny on the ground on 2X6 under plywood. Anyone who has dangled a B/RB off an engine hoist knows it's sketchy at best with the 2 inch casters, a BB will stop one dead in it's tracks. Forget plywood there are voids in the laminate.