News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trouble shooting a tic toc tach 69

Started by Spartan, June 08, 2020, 09:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Any ideas how to troubleshoot a tic toc tach? It wasn't original to the car and I had it rebuilt, added the wiring but the indicator barely moves off zero  The clock works when it feels like it as well (which was the same as original clock But this was updated with the rebuild). also had electronic ignition put in back in 07.

I am just trying to figure out if the problem lies with the tach or the wiring or something else.  It's been in the car for a couple years but I am finally getting around to solving some of these lingering issues I have with the car since I actually have time for a change to work on it.

Thanks
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

70gtx440dana

If your tach is restored to original specs pretty certain it will not work properly with electronic ignition. Pretty sure the tach needs to be modified to work with electronic versus point ignition. Someone else should be able to confirm.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

Spartan

Thanks.  My 67 Charger tach worked when upgraded to electronic ignition with no modification, that's why the 69 had me worried.  I have never messed with a tach before so I don't want to mess something up.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Bronzedodge

Some factory tacs  don't work with electronic.  You need a tach board.

https://www.rt-eng.com/
Mopar forever!

Bronzedodge

If you partly disassemble it - the pivot adjustment for the tach needle is 1/4" I believe.  I loosened and tightened mine untill I could flick the needle and have it land back at zero.
Mopar forever!

JimShine

I have a regular Chrysler electronic ignition added to my car (not MSD or other off brand), and my OEM tach works fine. But I adjusted it. There is a trim pot on the circuit board to calibrate the needle.

Here is the deal with the clock. If stock, the old electric movement needs to be properly lubricated. The one I have used to seize up after sitting with no battery power, and come back to life on a hot day. I took it apart and found old, dirty, thick dielectric grease inside. I used de-greaser and q-tips to get it all removed and replaced it with new electrical grease used to lubricate faders and potentiometers. It works, but I suspect in time it will once again need to come apart, be cleaned, and re-greased. The best long term solution is to convert it to a quartz movement.