News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrome plating sticker shock

Started by chargered, June 09, 2020, 09:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargered

Holy smokes, I just had a wake up call on chrome plating.  Its been about 35 years since I've had anything chrome plated.  Didn't realize how expensive its become.  Just dropped off my two front bumperettes for chrome plating and he quoted me $320.  Ouch!  Wasn't expecting that much.

ODZKing

Yep. the EPA has cracked down and with these guys now so chemicals have to be disposed of properly as well as cost of them going up.
It has actually put a bunch smaller of places out of business.
I got a "deal" 10 years ago, my 2 bumpers for the 73 and 4 bumperettes , just under $700.  :brickwall:

Lennard

I had my front and rear bumper including bumperettes rechromed for $600 last year. It all depends on where you live.

john108

It cost me $629 for new bumpers with bumperettes new.
I still have the old bumpers.  Could clean them up and paint them Black, with a blackout grill.

Mike DC

Lots of repro bumpers are being made now because of the plating cost.  It ends up being cheaper to buy a whole new bumper with plating done in Asia than to just re-plate the originals locally. 

RallyeMike

Yup  :yes nod:  I'm seriously considering painting them silver or maybe the new chrome paints that are out. They are pretty amazing.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mike DC

The really high-end (expensive) chrome paints look great but I haven't seen one with much durability.  Not good enough to use on an exterior panel IMO.  And with what that stuff costs, you could probably just plate a bumper for real.    

68ChargerJMP

If you are looking for nice driver quality chrome plating, check out Dan's Polishing and Chrome in Tennessee.  I have been slowly sending batches over there and what I have received back looked good. He was the most affordable X quality place I could find.  I got my original interior, door handles, exterior door handles and emblems plated for close to the same price as new Chinese repros. No brainer for me.  That being said, I will probably still send my bumpers to Tri-City Plating also in Tennessee. I have heard too many good reviews for me not to use them. I will try to put a pic or two on here.