News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about Work in Auto Industry today

Started by XH29N0G, June 14, 2020, 12:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

If you are starting a job as an engineer in the auto industry, how critical is it to get car of the same brand? How bad would it be to have a foreign car? I understand there are near and far parking, but do not know if there are other things that someone not from the industry and area could walk into.  My son wants a manual because that is what he has driven.  His own car (a 1981 BMW) is not a daily driver so he has to get one.  He prefers a wagon and likes the gearboxes on VWs that two of his friends have.  No clue why a wagon, but I don't ask those types of questions. 

What I want to make sure is that he doesn't naively walk into a situation that won't work for him.  He does computational fluid dynamics and wants to make cars go fast.  He's got talent and spends his time at it (I woke last night abt 2:20 and went to get a glass of water, he was completing a simulation of the car from their school Formula team in a curved flow field to test out how it behaved.  He graduated last month, so this is really just the thing that keeps him going. This morning he came downstairs and went straight to the computer to take the next steps.  He is presently on a planning call with next year's team.  I am just not sure he has a good read on the place and culture where he is going to work.  He is asking, but I thought maybe there would be someone here who has some knowledge they would pass along with a reply or PM. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

stripedelete

I used to call on Chrysler and Ford in Detroit in the 90's.  At Chrysler the parking lot closer to the building was for Chrysler products only. Non-Chrysler was quite a walk.  Don't remember anything about Ford.

If he's directly employed by an auto manufacturer I'm sure he could get away with 15 year old I'm-just-out-of-college-p.o.s.   But when it comes to new or near new, he better buy the brand that's putting food on his table.  And that's the way his boss will see it too.

Aero426

I don't think it's the most important thing coming straight of school.     Once he gets established, he'll know the political lay of the land and opportunities for employee purchase or affiliated programs if he works for a supplier.    If he wants the VW,  buy a late model used car that he can wash out of should he decide that he needs to.    He's got a good reason,   "Hey, I want a manual".   

A friend works for a Tier 1 supplier.   He owns several different makes of cars, but he sets an example in that his daily driver is definitely a make that is his bread and butter at work.     But again, he's fairly high up.   There's no segregated parking.

Just for fun,  go by the Rivian parking lot in suburban Detroit and see how many electric cars are parked in the lot.      The photo I saw contained a total of zero.

XH29N0G

Thanks both of you.  I spoke with him and he is asking and looking into this seriously.

:cheers:

Or maybe it protects us. 

odcics2

Quote from: stripedelete on June 14, 2020, 07:37:33 PM
I used to call on Chrysler and Ford in Detroit in the 90's.  At Chrysler the parking lot closer to the building was for Chrysler products only. Non-Chrysler was quite a walk.  Don't remember anything about Ford.

If he's directly employed by an auto manufacturer I'm sure he could get away with 15 year old I'm-just-out-of-college-p.o.s.   But when it comes to new or near new, he better buy the brand that's putting food on his table.  And that's the way his boss will see it too.

Exactly.   

I saw first hand that folks with non Chrysler products got laid off first too!  LOL, they think nobody cares!  ha!

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Dano 1

One of my coworkers (engineer) came from GM around 2 years ago and he drove an Acura the entire time he worked there. According to him some of the 'old guard' would give him some grief but no one else really bothered him too much. This was his first job out of college so he got by with the 'first car' excuse for the most part. He did say that if he had bought a new car while working there that wasn't a GM product it would have caused some issues.

If he can wait to buy until he knows where he's going to land and shop that brand first it might be worthwhile but certainly no domestic OEM makes a stick wagon. Worst case having a non-brand loyal car that isn't offered by the brand would definitely be preferable to rolling into your job at Ford in a brand new Camaro.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

XH29N0G

He is shopping the brand.  I think all of the things everyone says make a lot of sense.  I also think it only takes a few people who hold the cards and care about it to cause a problem - like with layoffs.  I don't have full say over him and his decisions, but I can pass along good information so if he makes a decision and is faced with the consequences (good or bad) he will understand the lay of the land.

Thanks again for all the information.

Or maybe it protects us.