News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Separating front hubs from brake drums. Any tips?

Started by Staxbro, June 18, 2020, 07:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staxbro

Quote from: 69hemibeep on June 23, 2020, 08:27:27 AM
You may have to turn the new drum to true it up to the hub that is part of the reason for the swage. if you were to rotate an old drum on the hub it can cause brake surge it would be like an egg shaped drum
This is how I understand it.
I like John Kunkel's plannof cutitng off the Swedge and residing my LH thread studs, but so wonder if the shoulder of the hub is enough to centralise the drum.

This is without even going near the RH drum, that is unswedged and has the outer bearing area apparently part of the machined face of the KH drum.....

Totally seeing why my unscrupulous mechanic didn't bother even getting that drum off when it was stuck..... what a crook!

John_Kunkel

Rear drums rely only on the hub to center the drum, as long as the drum center fits snuggly on the front hub there shouldn't be a problem. On fronts, leaving as much of the stud shoulder as possible is added insurance.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.