News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strange starter issue.

Started by Kern Dog, June 20, 2020, 01:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krops cars

You may have voltage, but not the right amperage. Unhook coil wire. Go to starter. Check voltage during cranking. Or I don't know if this would work. If you have a quality set of jumper cables. When it cranks hard take your cable hook from battery to solenoid and see if that makes a difference.

c00nhunterjoe

1/0 is more then enough. I dont even have that large in the 63 to save weight and that is 13.5:1 compression and it spins over nice and fast with a single red top in the trunk.

krops cars

Good point. I 'm saying make sure it is heavy enough. I see that a lot in trunk mounts and also not grounded good enough.

Kern Dog

The new battery solved the problem instantly.
Before, the running voltage with the car idling was in the upper 14 volt range as if the battery was in need of a HUGE amount of juice to recharge. Now it idles in the high 13s.
It cranks over great in any condition.
The new starter didn't make a difference. Bypassing the solenoid didn't either. The battery made the difference. I hesitated to blame it since it was so new.

XH29N0G

It sucks when something new is the culprit because it shouldn't be that way.  Glad you sorted it out.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

:2thumbs:   Thank you. I feel the same way.
It can't be the battery...I bought it a few months ago!

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 20, 2020, 04:49:33 PM
The new battery solved the problem instantly.
Before, the running voltage with the car idling was in the upper 14 volt range as if the battery was in need of a HUGE amount of juice to recharge. Now it idles in the high 13s.
It cranks over great in any condition.
The new starter didn't make a difference. Bypassing the solenoid didn't either. The battery made the difference. I hesitated to blame it since it was so new.

:2thumbs: