News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Parking brake adjustment issues

Started by whitehatspecial, June 20, 2020, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehatspecial

I went through my 68's rear brake system recently. Removed the parking brakes cable and cleaned/ lubricated them so they move freely. Did a complete brake job (original drums) on the rear with new brake lines, pads, and hardware. I also had the drums turned.

I've also replaced the rear with a 3.23 posi unit.

I'm having an issue adjusting the parking brakes. With the posi unit it's difficult to feel the brake drag, but I thought I had it until I went for a short test drive and smelled brake burn. If I loosen the cable too much the parking brake sags and the red indicator light comes on.

Any advice is appreciated.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

b5blue

Check that the P brake is lubed and moves free. It should pop back up all the way when released. The cables should have NO tension then. The light has a switch on the pedal.

John_Kunkel

Even with the parking brake cable completely disconnected, the light shouldn't come on. Sounds like the return spring in the parking brake pedal assembly is weak/missing. If the pedal isn't against its up stop when released, it'll give you a false feel when adjusting the cable.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

I think the light coming on is more related to the brake fluid dist block than the parking brake assembly.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

whitehatspecial

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 20, 2020, 12:37:19 PM
Even with the parking brake cable completely disconnected, the light shouldn't come on. Sounds like the return spring in the parking brake pedal assembly is weak/missing. If the pedal isn't against its up stop when released, it'll give you a false feel when adjusting the cable.

Can the return spring in the parking brake ass'y be replaced without removing the whole ass'y? If I loosen the tension on the cable adjustment the pedal sags (doesn't come all the way up) and that's what's triggering the indicator switch.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

b5blue

I don't know I just bought a nice used one.