News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WHAT is this???

Started by Bad B-rad, June 20, 2020, 04:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

WHAT IS A KAR-KIT????(are we talking KNIGHT RIDER here? KITT, and KAR????) :smilielol:
It looks like some sort of emission decal from California.
I am from NY, I have NEVER seen this, and cant find any info, on what it is, and why its on my car?
Anyone have knowledge on it?

Bad B-rad

Kern Dog

That was an early 1980s aftermarket, state mandated emission device installed in California.
My '69 Dart had those stickers when I bought it in 1982. It consisted of a crude restricter for the distributor advance. and maybe something else I don't recall. It was just an early government effort to reduce emissions.
This was before the official bi-annual smog check program went into effect.

Bad B-rad

This is something additional you had to put on your car to make it legal in California?
So after you buy a car, you needed to add shit to make it pass??
Do you still have to do this with old cars???

62dodge

Yes that's a sticker for your car after it went through the California BAR, there is another sticker that is supposed to go on your instrument cluster. After I got my 70 Challenger R/T to pass their inspection he was going to put that sticker on my cluster, I told him if he did that i would break his arm. He handed me the sticker and a threw it in the glove box. Another reason that we left California.

Kern Dog

No, at this point it is redundant. ALL cars built before 1976 are exempt from emission testing in California.
If I had to make my car compliant, I'd have a lot of work to do!

Bad B-rad

I have lived my whole life here in Hudson Valley NY, and although they say state safety and emission inspection, they don't put  test your exhaust at all.
Wow what a pain in the ass!!!

I guess you guys get nice weather, beautiful women, and rust free cars, and we all know you cant have it all, so they bust your balls about emissions.  :lol:

alfaitalia

We have really strict emissions tests on newish cars....but next to nothing at all on pre 1975 classics (which is surprising in a country where they say that the worst 10% of cars produce 50% of the pollution emitted by cars)......this is from the test manual...

"Petrol vehicles used before August 1975 and diesel vehicles used before January 1980 are tested by sight."...

......LOL....so that means unless smoke is billowing out it passes! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Bad B-rad

Quote from: alfaitalia on June 21, 2020, 09:45:34 AM
We have really strict emissions tests on newish cars....but next to nothing at all on pre 1975 classics (which is surprising in a country where they say that the worst 10% of cars produce 50% of the pollution emitted by cars)......this is from the test manual...

"Petrol vehicles used before August 1975 and diesel vehicles used before January 1980 are tested by sight."...

......LOL....so that means unless smoke is billowing out it passes! :lol:

That's funny!!!

John_Kunkel

In addition to the distributor vacuum nipple cap, the initial timing on the sticker was mandated along with a maximum idle speed of 1100 rpm. This kit was a NOX reduction device.

Most of us would install the kit for the biennial Smog Check and then put it in the glove box for two years and reset the timing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bad B-rad

Dose anyone have a photo of this "KITT"??
I am just curious, I not looking to install one.
I just find it interesting.

It sounds like they were limiting the advance of the timing for NOX reduction, so could the headers that my car arrived to me with, have been present at the time that it got this sticker, or no way?

6bblgt

No Way - car needed to retain stock intake & exhaust

6bblgt

I purchased this San Diego Cougar in '84 - drove it to Ohio & removed the "NOX" parts (sorry no pics - parts are in a box in Ohio ?? I think)

Kern Dog

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 21, 2020, 08:22:26 AM
I have lived my whole life here in Hudson Valley NY, and although they say state safety and emission inspection, they don't put  test your exhaust at all.
Wow what a pain in the ass!!!

I guess you guys get nice weather, beautiful women, and rust free cars, and we all know you cant have it all, so they bust your balls about emissions.  :lol:

We also have a lot of government intrusion into our lives, more regulation, higher taxes, the second highest gas price in the country and very expensive real estate.
If it were not for the weather, I would have left long ago. The Wife and I are still looking to leave after I retire.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 21, 2020, 03:18:03 PM
Dose anyone have a photo of this "KITT"??

Not much to it, just a small box with the aforementioned rubber nipple cap, the decal and an instruction sheet quoted below.

Kar Kit Owner's Manual

Kar Kit Emission Control System for 1955-65/1966/70 Vehicles
Air Quality Products, Inc. 1976
Orange, CA 92668

The retarded spark timing approach used by Kar Kit controls emissions solely by retarding engine spark advance and carburetor adjustment.
Kar Kit, and all State of California Air Resources Board-approved used vehicle exhaust emission control systems, uses retarded spark timing techniques. Retarded spark control systems are also used on many new vehicles. The various devices either completely or partially disconnect the vacuum advance mechanism, and some systems also retard the vehicle's base timing for further control. Also, the systems include specific procedures for carburetor idle speed and mixture adjustment. Kar Kit is not recommended for vehicles with impaired or defective cooling systems.

All spark retard systems have the common disadvantage of reduced gas mileage and somewhat higher engine operating temperatures. However, gas mileage reduction is generally very small due to the carburetor adjustments which tend to offset this reduction. Retarding the spark timing means that the spark plug fires at a later time in the compression stroke of the engine. Retarded spark timing is accomplished with Kar Kit by (1) disconnecting the vacuum to a mechanism which causes the plugs to fire earlier under certain operating conditions; and (2) adjusting the basic spark timing to a later setting on most engines.

Retarding the spark timing can reduce the formation of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) by 40% to 50%. The effects of retarded spark timing on your engine result from the fact that gasoline is burned less efficiently in the cylinders. This can cause an increase in gas consumption, less in the city and more on the highways. Part of the increased gas consumed is burned while the gases are being exhausted from the engine, rather than on the power stroke, thus increasing the average temperature of the exhaust gases. The effects of hotter exhaust gases on your engine depend upon the engine design, and the condition of the cooling and lubrication systems. In some engines, more heat will be transferred into the cooling system. In other engines, the heat load on the cooling system may remain the same. The installation of the Kar Kit emission control system include an inspection of the cooling system and the recommended repair of defects because we can not identify the specific engines which cause added cooling system heat load. This maintenance, however, is a good idea, regardless. Test data show that leakage and poor maintenance of cooling systems are far greater problems during periods of hot weather than small increases in coolant temperatures from retarded spark timing.

Exhaust system components of all engines will operate hotter with retarded spark timing, including the exhaust valves, the exhaust manifold, and the exhaust pipes. Possible problems from hotter exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipes can be avoided by checking to see if there is sufficient clearance between these exhaust parts and other parts of the vehicle. This inspection is part of the Kar Kit emission control system.

Engine exhaust gas temperatures normally increase with greater speed and load. These increases, however, are generally greater with spark retard. On later models (1966-1970), the state requires that approved devices which use a significant amount of spark retard include a means for reducing the temperatures above 60MPH. Most approved systems (both new and used car) include an electrical or mechanical switch which restores normal timing at the higher speeds, thus reducing the temperatures. The Kar Kit 1966-1970 (NOx) approved device is designed as a simple low cost system and is recommended only for limited duty vehicles which are not operated at high speed. Therefore the system does not include the expensive switches necessary to restore timing at high speeds. The Kar Kit includes a decal which is affixed to the speedometer to remind the owner not to operate the vehicle for sustained periods above 60MPH.

Installation instructions:
The Kar Kit installation includes several steps which must be followed. They include cooling system inspection, distributor advance check, de-activation of vacuum spark advance, and readjustment of basic timing, carburetor mixture and idle speed to Kar Kit specifications.

Kar Kit use limitations:
The Kar Kit is a low cost NOx control system, designed for limited duty vehicles, and the following use limitations are to be observed. If these installation or operating limitations conflict with your vehicle condition, configuration or operating requirements, DO NOT INSTALL Kar Kit.

•1. DO NOT OPERATE vehicles equipped with Kar Kit at sustained speeds above 60MPH (short periods of emergency and passing are OK). Installation of Kar Kit on vehicles which operate a major part of the time at either sustained high speed or have load conditions (such as towing a trailer) is not recommended.
•2. DO NOT INSTALL on engines engines less than 50 cubic inches or on engines with distributors without centrifugal or vacuum advance.[/font]
•3. DO NOT INSTALL on Volkswagen or Porsche.
•4. DO NOT INSTALL on engines with impaired or defective cooling systems.
Step 1) Inspection & maintenance of the cooling system
Step 2) Distributor check
Step 3) Disconnection of vacuum advance
Step 4) Ignition Timing Check and Adjustment (1966-1970)

Adjust timing at an idle speed recommended by the engine manufacturer. Set at 1° BTC on all engines except those where the manufacturer's specified setting is:
•More retarded than 1° BTC – then set at the manufacturer's specified setting for these engines
•More advanced than 7.5° BTC – then set at 1/2 of the manufacturer's specified setting for these engines.
Step 5) Adjustment of Carburetor (1966-1970)
Adjust the carburetor idle speed and idle mixture in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.​
Step 6) Exhaust system inspection
Inspect clearance between the exhaust system and any point on the chassis. Adjust if clearance is less than 1/2".​
Step 7) Documentation
Affix "limited use" decal to face of speedometer.​

Install Tune-Up instruction decal within engine compartment in conspicuous location.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bad B-rad

THANKS John!!!!!
I couldn't find anything on it.

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Bad B-rad

I would like to find one of these instruction books!!!
Even a reproduction, just to have, to keep in glove box.
I think it is neat.
I DO NOT want to install the device,  :lol:  it is just a cool part of my car's history.
Because I am not blowing my car apart, and preforming a full restoration. I am just repairing  what needs to be fixed.
I think I will preserve the decal in the engine bay.
And the instructions would be cool to keep with the car.

Drache

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 23, 2020, 09:58:04 AM
I would like to find one of these instruction books!!!
Even a reproduction, just to have, to keep in glove box.
I think it is neat.
I DO NOT want to install the device,  :lol:  it is just a cool part of my car's history.
Because I am not blowing my car apart, and preforming a full restoration. I am just repairing  what needs to be fixed.
I think I will preserve the decal in the engine bay.
And the instructions would be cool to keep with the car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-60-65-70-GM-FORD-MOPAR-KARKIT-EMISSION-CONTROL-SYSTEM-DISPLAY-KITS-CA-SMOG/123838685399?hash=item1cd55c60d7:g:l4oAAOSw0IBckTtg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KarKit-emission-control-system-collectors-item/133038463908?hash=item1ef9b5dba4:g:x6UAAOSwmblZ2HPN
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Bad B-rad

Thank you!!!!
you are great!!!

Bad B-rad

Guess who just wasted money on some useless cardboard boxes?
ME LOL!!!!!

I think I ended up with 4 more then I need.
So I may have the market cornered.

It comes with the decal for the speedo, like John had mentioned, about no sustained speeds above 60,lol.

The stupid stuff that makes me happy.

Thanks again, John Kunkel, and Drache!!!!

Bad B-rad

Well I got my Kar-Kits today.

So in the box, is a instruction manual, 3 stickers, one "Tune Up" decal for under hood with timing on it, and 2 for the inside, by speedo that warn you not to drive at or above 60mph. One in English, and one in Spanish.
That brings up to the HEART of the kit: 2 vacuum line plugs/nipples.
I am assuming this was the C.A.R.B.'s finest technology for 1973, LOL.

So now that I know what this is.
My next question is, was this "kit" provided free of charge to you, when you had your vehicle inspected?
Or was it something CARB made you purchase, on top of the inspection fee?

Thanks.

Kern Dog

It would have been better overall if they just required a catalytic converter be installed and left the engine alone.

Drache

Here is another interesting gadget from back in the day.

Called the Starto-Jet, it appears to be a capacitor or something to give your car more cold cranking amps for those cold mornings.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Swampwing2

Is the cover removable on that StartoJet? Wires look too small to be any type of serious capacitor, unless it connects to the coil.

Just curious.