News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rattle can Chrome paint that look ok and lasts?

Started by triple_green, June 24, 2020, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

It doesnt have to be bumper quality. I am thinking about painting a section of the wheels on my van since they are mono-chromatic gray.

Anyone have a paint that looks close to chrome? Thx!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

funknut

I'm curious too if anyone's found a good spray can solution, I spent a fair bit of time trying to find a solution for interior chrome.

All chrome paints that I've come across go dull immediately when you topcoat them with clear or even gentle handling.  The only option I've come across is using Spaz Stix brand black basecoat and chrome topcoat, and then applying Alclad II lacquer clearcoat.  I don't know how well it would hold up in the elements, though.  It's mostly used by hobbyists for model making.

https://www.amazon.com/Alclad-II-Gloss-Klear-Kote/dp/B003GHJ74Y

There are other ways to apply a chrome-like finish that do look very good, but those use a silver nitrate chemical deposition process, and are more complicated and expensive than a rattle can job.

funknut

I forgot to mention, there are decent chrome vinyl wrap materials out there that look decent if you don't stretch them a whole lot.