News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OLD TIMER CAR TRICKS

Started by Bad B-rad, June 25, 2020, 05:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Quote from: dual fours on June 29, 2020, 08:08:49 PM
Starting fluid to set/pop the beads on a tire. Then add the required air.

Still used this on truck tires(not F-550 truck, big rig Peter Built)
I do it so much I didn't think of it as an old timer trick!!!

Last year I did this to my garden tractor tire, and trying to do it safely on the first try I didn't use enough starting fluid to seat the bead, but the dam tire caught fire,LOL, used air gun to blow it out, then got it 2nd try.

Bad B-rad

How about removing press fit bushings(think heavy equipment) by running FAT stringer beads all along top surface.
wait for it to cool, and falls right out.

The hot arc draws some of the parent material up, to mix with welding rod, and shrinks the bushing. Again after it cools down from welding on it.

Bad B-rad

I may be giving away to many trade secrets with this one. Installing press fit piston pins in to rods, with an oven and freezer.
stick rods in oven on 300. Then stick pins in freezer, works better with dry ice.
Wait 2hrs on pins, then once rods are up to temp, they fall right place!! No piston pin press required, you even have about 4-8 seconds to adjust placement before it will lock into place.

Make  science work for you!!!!

dual fours

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 25, 2020, 05:45:39 PM
Ok I get it,  most people don't have bee's wax laying around, but they do have WD-40, or some canned spray.  I am sure this was a technique popular well before wd 40 or PB blaster, or zep 45.

Any one have anything to share?
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I have plenty of Bee's wax laying around , two five gallon Lard cans of the stuff. I also have Sheep tallow and Bear fat.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

ACUDANUT

If you have a V8, disconnect every other spark plug wire to double the mileage.  :D

dual fours

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 03, 2020, 01:59:28 PM
If you have a V8, disconnect every other spark plug wire to double the mileage.  :D
Which way would be better, every other one back the same bank then up the other side or jump back and forth from side to side?
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

dual fours

Since most people do not use the whole length of a hack saw blade to cut, seem like the center get used the most, you should have one as a candidate.  Take that hack saw blade and about three inches from the forward end, the part usually not dull, take just the sides of the teeth down lightly with a grinder. Now you have ''V'' shaped pointy teeth and not the normal teeth on that end. Cleans ''dresses up'' crud  from threads on pipe or bolts real good. This ''tool" is not used with a saw handle, break the worn out blade in half and wrap the end with electrical tape, now you will not cut your fingers while using it.
As my dad would say, '' I pay just as much for the ends of that blade as the center, so use a full stroke." Followed by, " You don't put half of your Peck** in do you?" :slap:

He also said, well not really said it all the time, he'd point to the sign on the wall that read, "The man who loans tools is out." and, "There is a place for everything, for Christ's sake put it there."

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

greycharger

To loosen things with fewer failures, tighten first. Just enough to make it move.
Even if it doesn't move, putting that torque on it still seems to help

Back N Black

Quote from: dual fours on June 29, 2020, 08:08:49 PM
Starting fluid to set/pop the beads on a tire. Then add the required air.

Did that many times and works well.

b5blue

Clean electrical connectors by mixing salt in vinegar and dunking till clean. (Use freshly mixed.) Flush by putting any sprayer top on a bottle of alcohol (It will screw right on.) and blasting dunked part while held in a cloth. When dry spray with T-9 or Caig Lab D-100. (Really blast/clean off the salted vinegar well to neutralize cleaning effect.)
  Now that you have a spray alcohol ready the next time mosquitoes start buzzing around trying to bite you can knock them out of the air with a mist of spray. (I've gotten 4 with one blast.) Follow up with a stomp or kill blast on the ground and go back to working on your car. If your hot and sweaty a light mist will cool ya off nicely also. 70% Alcohol is cheaper and most effective killing virus and bacteria, 90% is very effective for cleaning but use care on some plastic/painted surfaces. (It won't harm the plastic plugs for electrical connectors/bulkheads.

ACUDANUT

.Clean electrical connectors by mixing salt in vinegar and dunking till clean. (Use freshly mixed.) Flush by putting any sprayer top on a bottle of alcohol (It will screw right on.) and blasting dunked part while held in a cloth. When dry spray with T-9 or Caig Lab D-100. (Really blast/clean off the salted vinegar well to neutralize cleaning effect.
OKay  :shruggy: Flush by putting any sprayer top on a bottle of alcohol (It will screw right on.)  What ??????

XH29N0G

Or you could get 4 minutes of advice about cooking Christmas dinner using car tricks from the red green show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niegc7QcilM

Remember ....

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 20, 2020, 02:12:59 PM
.Clean electrical connectors by mixing salt in vinegar and dunking till clean. (Use freshly mixed.) Flush by putting any sprayer top on a bottle of alcohol (It will screw right on.) and blasting dunked part while held in a cloth. When dry spray with T-9 or Caig Lab D-100. (Really blast/clean off the salted vinegar well to neutralize cleaning effect.
OKay  :shruggy: Flush by putting any sprayer top on a bottle of alcohol (It will screw right on.)  What ??????
409, Windex, Fantastic, spray bottles from cleaners will screw right on the top of a bottle of alcohol.

ACUDANUT

What alcohol are you referring to ?

b5blue

Isopropyl, it dries quickly. You can use water but it tends to hangout in crimps and connectors delaying final coating.