News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Back up camera

Started by dawgfather, June 29, 2020, 08:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfather

Has anyone of you have a back up camera setup? i have a small garage and i can't see a darn thing with the driver side view mirror and passenger side view is non existent. i was thinking of the bluetooth camera since i dont have to do a whole bunch of wiring. if yoy guys have a lead on a good one and also pictures of your setup that would be much appreciated.. Thank guys.!!!!

XH29N0G

I haven't had experience with a backup camera, but I have a garage with barely enough space front and back and only enough space side to side to make it possible to walk by one side of the car (other side will be close to wall).  I did a few thing.  For front -back, I made a wheel stop for the front tires.  I put carpet on the wall in the front.  For the side, I made a guide for the wheels to keep me from getting too close to the passenger side.  Also put a big mirror along the back wall so I can see the position of the car relative to the opening walls and guide.  hung strings from the ceiling to line up  on with a tennis ball at windshield distance.  And put carpet on walls by the doors.  Without these, I would have a hard time getting the car far enough over to open the door and get in and out and I would probably have wedged it against the rails for the garage door by now.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

dawgfather

thanks for the tips!! oh of course to make it harder i like to back up into the garage too! and the driveway is a steep slope i have to deal with.  :brickwall:

XH29N0G

I had wanted to back into the garage, but my neck and back don't work that way any more and I am sure I would have a long scrap down the side of my car by now.

I'll be interested to see how the back up camera turns out.  I think it is a good idea.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

dawgfather

Quote from: XH29N0G on June 30, 2020, 04:41:37 PM
I had wanted to back into the garage, but my neck and back don't work that way any more and I am sure I would have a long scrap down the side of my car by now.

I'll be interested to see how the back up camera turns out.  I think it is a good idea.

Ha me too! Everytime i drive the Charger my chiropractor gets a call.
So here is what i think so far before pulling the trigger on buying one. Hopefully this helps.

1) Not really want to drill into the car, so I am looking at a license plate mounted one.

2) I thought about a wireless one, but there might be interference or the video quality might not be as good.

3) Was thinking of only using a monitor so the car keeps the original look, but after some consideration, i am opening up to the rear view mirror option just because the mirror is a better quality than a 50 year old mirror.

Hope this helps but also if you guys have any other input that would help! Thanks guys!

Troy

There are lots of decent (and inexpensive) backup cameras but how exactly do you want to display the output? There are some that will connect to an Apple/Android based radio and other that work inside a rear view mirror but both will look very out of place in the car. I suppose if you used a bluetooth camera you could just link it to your phone - but then you have to hold a phone and drive. Backwards.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dawgfather

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2020, 04:00:40 PM
There are lots of decent (and inexpensive) backup cameras but how exactly do you want to display the output? There are some that will connect to an Apple/Android based radio and other that work inside a rear view mirror but both will look very out of place in the car. I suppose if you used a bluetooth camera you could just link it to your phone - but then you have to hold a phone and drive. Backwards.

Troy

Was thinking of using the ones that come with a rear view mirror that straps on the the existing rear view. The other one I was looking at is the ones that come with an external screen.

John_Kunkel

Wireless BU cameras have a mixed reputation, hard-wired is less susceptible to spurious signals.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.