News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the deal with Daisy's cars ?

Started by Nacho-RT74, July 02, 2020, 04:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

I don't get why production wasn't consistent with Daisy's cars!! sometimes it was a 71 RR, sometimes it was a 73/74. When they changed to the Jeep it seems sometimes it was a Cj5 ( and most toys are represting it as Cj5 ) while most of the time was a Cj7... aside the diff pain scheme: golden eagle on hood and Dixie on doors when they were, and sometimes the Dixie callouts on hood.

I think the rest of cars remain pretty much the same, including Uncle Jesse's black Ford which appeared maybe couple of times along with the Ford pickup most of the times.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mike DC

Daisy's RR started off as the 73/74 in Georgia.  By the 2nd season they were in Cali and switched to 71/72s (painted to mimic the 73/74 decals).  

During season#2 they made a product placement deal with Jeep to get some CJ-7s.  They had enough older cars on their hands and the RR was one of the rarer ones.  Chrysler corp was too broke to provide any help around that time and there was no Ebay/Craig to find used stuff on short notice. (You can find just about anything if you have a few weeks/months to search for it.  But they didn't.  TV schedules are crazy.  They would have like 10-15 days to get an episode done.)  They had enough trouble keeping General Lees stocked.  

Daisy's RR didn't really offer any more story possibilities than the General Lee did.  (A Jeep can be off-roaded.  The top is open for possible stunt scenes.  Etc).  I suspect that factored into the decision too.  TV/movie writers try to avoid redundant characters.  When Bo & Luke returned they ditched Vance & Coy.  There were several deputy sheriffs in Hazzard over the years but they only kept one at a time.  Etc.  

I've always wondered why they ended up with so many white vehicles on 'Dukes.'  The police cars were all white.  Boss's Caddy.  Jesse's truck.  Huey Hogg's VW.  So they decide to recast Daisy's car, the only other vehicle besides the GL that is bright colored, and they go with . . . white again?

Kern Dog

That is an interesting point about the white cars.   :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 02, 2020, 05:19:04 PM

Daisy's RR started off as the 73/74 in Georgia.  By the 2nd season they were in Cali and switched to 71/72s (painted to mimic the 73/74 decals). 

and what's was the problem  being consistent with the 73/74 ? it was not a stunt car, just part of the show with ocassional appearences, just like the Jesse's truck! They even could take the one used in GA and use it on Cali ( or get any 73/74 around. If they are available nowdays, even more back in the days )... Not expecting your will know the answer, but simply I don't understand it. How many RR they would need 2 or 3 ? not 300 like GLs

Same about the Jeep. Diff paint scheems and... did they use just Cj7s? I think they used CJ5s too!!!

Hazzard county patrols... white or whatever they were more less consistent. Being float cars represented that wouldn't really care if they changed between Monacos, AMCs or Furys. Monacos and AMCs were more used on the initial seasons, then the kept more the Furys later.

white cars, I guess harder to notice bad body and paint jobs after the chases, stunts and constant fixes
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

LaOtto70Charger

Is white paint cheaper than other colors? Kind of like the red barn wive's tale.

stripedelete

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 03, 2020, 03:39:24 AM

Daisy's RR started off as the 73/74 in Georgia.  By the 2nd season they were in Cali and switched to 71/72s (painted to mimic the 73/74 decals). 

white cars, I guess harder to notice bad body and paint jobs after the chases, stunts and constant fixes

Yes.  White is very forgiving and easily blended.  They probably had white and orange paint and bondo in 55gal drums.

odcics2

The Charger was the star of the show.  All the others were merely support vehicles!    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Back N Black

Daisy's RR started off as the 73/74 in Georgia.  By the 2nd season they were in Cali and switched to 71/72s (painted to mimic the 73/74 decals).  

During season#2 they made a product placement deal with Jeep to get some CJ-7s.  They had enough older cars on their hands and the RR was one of the rarer ones.  Chrysler corp was too broke to provide any help around that time and there was no Ebay/Craig to find used stuff on short notice. (You can find just about anything if you have a few weeks/months to search for it.  But they didn't.  TV schedules are crazy.  They would have like 10-15 days to get an episode done.)  They had enough trouble keeping General Lees stocked.  

Daisy's RR didn't really offer any more story possibilities than the General Lee did.  (A Jeep can be off-roaded.  The top is open for possible stunt scenes.  Etc).  I suspect that factored into the decision too.  TV/movie writers try to avoid redundant characters.  When Bo & Luke returned they ditched Vance & Coy.  There were several deputy sheriffs in Hazzard over the years but they only kept one at a time.  Etc.  

I've always wondered why they ended up with so many white vehicles on 'Dukes.'  The police cars were all white.  Boss's Caddy.  Jesse's truck.  Huey Hogg's VW.  So they decide to recast Daisy's car, the only other vehicle besides the GL that is bright colored, and they go with . . . white again?

You are officially the Dukes of Hazard Geek.  :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

QuoteYou are officially the Dukes of Hazard Geek.  icon_smile_big

It's what got me into Mopars.   ::) 

ACUDANUT

Daisy was a racist and so were her vehicles.  LOL

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 23, 2020, 10:39:36 PMDaisy was a racist and so were her vehicles.  LOL
This isn't true. You lied.

JimShine

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 23, 2020, 10:39:36 PMDaisy was a racist and so were her vehicles.  LOL

Catherine most certainly wasn't. She was getting Super
Freaky with Rick James in the era of Duke's where her hair was lighter. The color was to appease him.

marshallfry01

No CJ5 jeeps were used on the series. Only 2 CJ7s. Both were real 1979 golden eagles. One was a 304/4 speed, the other was a straight 6/automatic. AMC leased both jeeps to Warner Brothers with the agreement that they had to be destroyed at the end of production. The 4 speed jeep was totaled on a stunt gone wrong on "Danger on the Hazzard Express." The automatic jeep has yet to be found after the series so i'm assuming it was destroyed per AMC's lease agreement.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Kern Dog

Quote from: LaOtto70Charger on July 03, 2020, 07:28:11 AMIs white paint cheaper than other colors? Kind of like the red barn wive's tale.
Who has a red barn wife? What is that anyway ??

01 face 10.jpg