News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Talladega question

Started by taxspeaker, July 04, 2020, 06:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Never posted a Ford Torino Talladega question here, but this is an Aero Warrior page!

Trying to get the Big 5 and looking at this Talladega-does anyone know anything about it?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=164254672312&category=31836&pm=1&ds=0&t=1593905946704
Thanks
Bob

SeaninSD

I recommend joining the 428 CJ registry forum and asking there. I'd also recommend asking 428 cj forum members if they have/know of a talladega for sale as it's better to buy from enthusiasts IMO (I'm sure most will agree).

Aero426

Bob, the car is a known Talladega and in the DSAC Talladega registry.  Sold new in KY, last owner I have was in Ohio.     I should have a copy of the original invoice from Ford.

The good: all the important Talladega specific parts are there.  You can tell is a legit 'Dega just by the extended pinchweld on the rocker panels.      I would like to see a photo of the area between the rad support and grille looking downward to make sure the braces from rad support to header panel and the the lower gravel pan are there.   The body looks pretty good, although you'd want to see it in person.   Interior is all correct and should clean up.

The meh:   Looks like it's had at least one cursory repaint.   It's a ten footer at best with plenty of minor rash throughout.

The bad:  It looks like it's been inactive for a long time.  Ancient tires,  rusty exhaust.  We have no idea how it runs and drives, but it will need some money put into it to make it a reliable driver.  You know how that goes.

Some items missing are the air cleaner assembly, spare tire and jack and the GT hubcaps are incorrect.    None of these are deal breakers.   Probably $1000 for all.    None of these are Talladega specific.

At $45k ask, for the condition, it's fully priced.    You could probably spend $10k more and get a pretty nice car already done.    The quandry on Talladegas and Spoiler II's is that relatively few come up for sale compared to buying a Superbird where you can just about pick your color.   I like this car as a project because it is all there.    Just depends on the price.

held1823

Doug is certainly one of the experts on the ford aero cars

Richard Fleener is also a great source of information. i believe he runs this....

https://talladegaspoilerregistry.com/
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

taxspeaker

Thanks Dave & Ernie-I am a member of Richard's site and posted the same question there-will see if I get a response. I know the car has a Marti report (at least that's what the ad says), but do not know if it has #s match engine/trans, which is a key factor in the long term scheme here. Knowing nothing about Fords at all makes it more difficult, although some would say that matches my Mopar knowledge level! I am going to call the consignor on Monday to ask several questions before I decide whether to drive over there or not-it is a simple 4 hour drive with no cities that would be a great road trip for the Daytona!

I also will visit the 428CJ registry, thanks for that suggestion Sean

Bob

taxspeaker

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 05, 2020, 08:43:51 AM
Thanks Dave & Ernie-
Bob

Sorry, meant Doug & Ernie-was sitting here talking to buddy Dave!

white

Hello Taxspeaker, That Talladega looks exactly like the car that was at my hotel last year at the Areo reunion! I have a picture of it but file size is to big to post.

white

Was able to resize it.

6bblgt

since all Talladegas were MAROON, WHITE or BLUE w/BLACK bench seat interiors & 428CJ column auto drivetrains  -  "STOCK" they are all going to look like 1 of the 3 combinations

was there any OPTIONAL equipment that varied from one to the next?    :shruggy:

taxspeaker

From what I understand the only option was the radio!

The one at Gateway in St Louis that I asked about they do not know if it is numbers matching, which leads me to believe no. Awaiting more info.
There is a beautiful, all restored one at Vanguard Motors but it seems about 10-15k higher than a condition 1 Talladega might bring. Am still interested though because it has all the provenance and numbers and I can still drive it.

Thanks
Bob

held1823

the same vanguard that has a "matching numbers" c500 whose matching number engine is actually for sale elsewhere?

that fact alone would steer me away from that place
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

This good looking T just sold at Mecum Indy.    $58,300 all in.   

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-414936/1969-ford-torino-talladega/

taxspeaker

I watched that Mecum sale-gives a much better idea on market prices. I wish I could have gotten to Indy for it. Thanks Doug
Bob J

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: Aero426 on July 12, 2020, 10:57:02 PM
This good looking T just sold at Mecum Indy.    $58,300 all in.    

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-414936/1969-ford-torino-talladega/

I believe this was the same car at the Mecum Harrisburg auction in 2018.  I recall that car was bid to $55K but didn't meet reserve.  The Harrisburg car was a 10-footer in my opinion.  Here is a shot of my Dega and Spoiler II.  
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

gtx6970

Just my personal opinion But I always thought the Spoiler II was the better looking car

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 24, 2020, 04:29:37 PM
Just my personal opinion But I always thought the Spoiler II was the better looking car

Agreed.

Emery0323

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 24, 2020, 04:29:37 PM
I'd probably agree.

I read somewhere that the steeper rake of that top valence panel between the hood and the grille on the Spoiler II made it about 1mph faster than the Talladega on super speedways.  Has anybody ever seen that documented anywhere?

RSI700VIPER

Here is an article about the steeper rake but not sure it's the one you are referencing:

https://talladegaspoilerregistry.com/2019/07/01/1969-mercury-cyclone-spoiler-ii/

taxspeaker

Agreed-the SPoiler II is not only faster, but better looking. Still looking for the T and the Spoiler II. Was looking at a 500 but they are a little steep in price right now because of the general runup in Charger prices. That red Hemi 500 in the other thread looks nice but is already sold.

gtx6970

Correct me if Im wrong . But arent  all Talladega's 428 , but all Spoiler II's were 351s ?????

Plus the IIs were either red and white or blue and white depending on livery either of which is a plus in my book compared to maroon or white on the Ts

I remember maybe 30 years ago, a guy I knew had a T, best I remember he was asking like $4000 or something, Took him a couple years to finally sell that thing
It was a Maroon with black interior car

Aero426

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 25, 2020, 07:53:18 PM
Correct me if Im wrong . But arent  all Talladega's 428 , but all Spoiler II's were 351s ?????

Plus the IIs were either red and white or blue and white depending on livery either of which is a plus in my book compared to maroon or white on the Ts

Yes, that's correct.     Spoiler II is the looker of the bunch.    Talladega is either a sleeper, or kind of bland looking depending on your perspective.    Unfortunately, the program was "just get them all built", and one way only.    Resale 50 years later wasn't part of the thought process.  If only they let buyers order some options. 

odcics2

I thought the 1/4 extensions were either better on the Merc, or the race parts were tweaked for better
detachment of the airflow...    :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RSI700VIPER

Both the Ford Talladega and Mercury Spoiler IIs had modified rockers.  By re-rolling the rockers, the pinch weld could be easily cut off to lower the car an additional 1 1/2 inches.  Since NASCAR measured the legal height from the ground to the bottom of the rocker, the track advantage is obvious.    

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on July 26, 2020, 02:23:01 PM

I thought the 1/4 extensions were either better on the Merc, or the race parts were tweaked for better
detachment of the airflow...    :shruggy:

Right.  The longer rear quarter extensions on the Mercury were thought to be of benefit.     You also had the unfair advantage of the Wood Brothers. 

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green