News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

windows are a bitch to crank-where to get thin slider strips??

Started by r4daytona, July 11, 2020, 02:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Hi, They've been like this for a while but my front windows are a bitch to crank up or roll down.  All the track work ie:vent frame and door internals are original but the window strip/ stainless at the back edge of the window is new and the piece that goes inside the vent window frame is new stuff. I did notice that when i crank the window down or up, there seems to be a little piece of plastic that is on the front edge of the glass- that moves with the glass.  I've sprayed silicone lub. in both the front and rear track work but its still tough to crank.  Any thoughts?  I can't remember where I got the new weather strip pieces

DownZero

I had a similar issue. I removed the regulator, cleaned and lubed it, removed all the old hardend grease on the window rail and regulator ball. Huge improvement.

GreenMachine

Quote from: r4daytona on July 11, 2020, 02:00:03 PM
Hi, They've been like this for a while but my front windows are a bitch to crank up or roll down.  All the track work ie:vent frame and door internals are original but the window strip/ stainless at the back edge of the window is new and the piece that goes inside the vent window frame is new stuff. I did notice that when i crank the window down or up, there seems to be a little piece of plastic that is on the front edge of the glass- that moves with the glass.  I've sprayed silicone lub. in both the front and rear track work but its still tough to crank.  Any thoughts?  I can't remember where I got the new weather strip pieces

New seals for the fwd edge of the door glass come with new plastic sliders that are too big. Most people throw those away and re-use their old ones with the new seal. Old ones yellow with age, so if those are white, they're probably the new ones. When I replaced my seals a few years ago, they cost around $100/pair  :eek2:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

r4daytona

Thanks,  All the hardware has been cleaned, blasted and new grease.  When the regulator is not hooked up to the glass it moves very easy.

The plastic sliders on mine are dark. Are they suppose to slide WITH the glass??  Also, it appears that the glass is tighter to the inside of the vent frame track than the outside.  Perhaps a slight adjustment in the bottom adjuster that you access from the bottom of the door??

GreenMachine

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/challenger/parts/mn3104.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI05PT7u_H6gIVB7zACh1ZuQCWEAQYDyABEgKFZ_D_BwE

Yes, the seal slides with the glass. No adjustment to center it in the track.

The link above is the seal I'm referring to, there are 2 holes in the front edge of the glass for the plastic sliders and the felt seal wraps around them. The repos are too big and cause interference in the vent window channel.

If that's what's causing the problem, you probably had to fight with it to install it in the first place, unless the seal got bunched up after the fact.

NHCharger

Do they roll any easier with the door open? I had my passenger side glass adjusted too tight so the top of the window would dig into the weather stripping on the quarter window .
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

r4daytona

Green Machine- so those are the bad ones?  Do you have an idea where I can get some thinner ones? OR, can I sand(thin) the current two slider strips?  Is there a way to do this without taking the whole damn vent frame out?

NH charger.  Doesn't matter if the door is open or closed.

Bronzedodge

Some of the glass channel run weatherstrip is too thick.  You have to compare the thickness with a caliper.  Restoration Parts & Materials has a good handle on this. 
Mopar forever!

GreenMachine

Here's an old post that deals with this issue on another Mopar forum:

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/window-wont-roll-down-binds-on-seal.139108/

On post #14, 69bfan says they stock both the originals and repos, but it's been 3 years, they might not have the originals anymore. This is the vendor Bronzedodge is referring to in the post above.

Here's the link on post #9 of that thread:

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/for-the-love-for-my-father-my-69-gtx-restoration.127388/page-38

Page 38, bottom of the page post #760 explains the issue of the repro sliders with pics.

r4daytona

Thanks again.  So i used a utility knife and carefully made my clips thinner.  Glass does slide easier for sure- now whats bugging me is the holes in the plastic strips become very enlarged (elongated).  I'd like to replace those while its apart, and I've called several places but hear that even those are to thick and that the channel that fits in the vent frame is to deep !!   Jesus, do any companies care about the stuff they make?????  I mean if you're going to spend the time making the mold in the first place -why not make it correct!!  ugh

Know where i can get the correct channels???   Maybe I'll just put it together and wait til good ones are out.  I mean, it's not like its a daily driver.  Last year I only put 325 miles on my car - about 20 of which were at the reunion!