News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 ac

Started by texas charger 73, July 12, 2020, 07:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas charger 73

when i get to a point where i can start fixing mine i will be asking tons of questions.. first thing i will be doing is pulling ac/ heat box to rebuild it and put in a new heater core... where is best place to get a heater core... i know Detroit muscle technologies sells a good box rebuild kit...  also what is this switch your saying i need to add to the box while i got it out
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

Nacho-RT74

I'd say check the cores first... Maybe doesn't need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Pete in NH

The original factory evaporator core is far superior to any after market part. If it is in good condition flush it out and re-use it. On heater cores, all the after market stuff is now produced off shore in the far east. The quality of these parts varies greatly and are no where near original quality. If you need to replace the heater core because of leaks you'll have to go with an after market part but its a crap shot on quality these days.

texas charger 73

i got a guy that has a good original core.. i may go with it.. he only wants $65 for it
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

texas charger 73

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 14, 2020, 08:30:21 AM
I'd say check the cores first... Maybe doesn't nedd to be rebuilt or replaced.

the core in it was leaking.. i bypassed it
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

John_Kunkel

You might also look for local radiator shops that can re-core the heater core. A used one that doesn't leak now might have a short life when put back in service.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

texas charger 73

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 14, 2020, 01:41:33 PM
You might also look for local radiator shops that can re-core the heater core. A used one that doesn't leak now might have a short life when put back in service.

i can pull my heater box and still drive my car around cant i?
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

Mike DC

Aftermarket (in-dash) HVAC systems are just too small.  The companies are trying to make a few boxes that fit many different old car models (to keep the costs down) and they have to compromise on the size.  Modern freon also runs weaker than the old stuff which makes it worse.

Look at a modern car's dashboard.  It's absolutely stuffed to the gills with the HVAC system.  That's what it takes to deliver the cooling we are used to.  

Aftermarket window tinting can be a real asset for cooling now.  The new stuff targets certain wavelengths better.  Like, the glass only looks 20% darkened to your eyes but it's blocking 40% of the heat/UV rays.  Some OEM cars are using it lately.  

b5blue

Quote from: texas charger 73 on July 14, 2020, 01:55:04 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 14, 2020, 01:41:33 PM

Yea just cap or run one hose to both heater feed nipples.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: texas charger 73 on July 14, 2020, 01:55:04 PM

I would cover the firewall holes to prevent noxious fumes from entering the cabin.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.