News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Temperature Sensor

Started by john108, July 17, 2020, 04:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Dodge Charger R/T (with a Temperature Gauge in the dash)

My current engine has the Mancini water pump housing.  The larger Temperature sensor , in the picture, was installed to fit the 3/8 NPT threads in the housing.
At the time I didn't think about the interface to the electrical harness.  The smaller sensor came out of the water pump housing in my original engine and it is compatible with the new harness, which matches the original wire connection.

Can you help in identifying a temp sensor (for a gauge) that will fit the 3/8 NPT interface and the wire interface of the smaller original sensor?

Thank You,
John

BLK 68 R/T

Probably have to find a reducer that will accept the original temp sensor. Don't know if they make one though?

John_Kunkel

Hmmm. Never seen the two-prong sender on the left used with a gauge, they are usually for cars without a gauge and only warning lights.

As stated, you'll need a reducer bushing to use the 1/8" NPT sender in the 3/8" hole. Face bushings are best for this.

https://www.ferguson.com/product/38-x-18-in-galvanized-steel-face-bushing-gsfbca/_/R-1292410
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

Thanks John
I couldn't see how to jet one from Ferguson.  Amazon has a brass one for almost $10.

green69rt

Have you looked at a local auto parts store like Autozone, they have some fittings.  If not then a hardware store, like Lowes may have something in their plumbing department.

john108

McMaster-Carr has them at $0.90 but the shipping is about $5.
I ordered it.
There are other sensors that fit the 3/8 NPT but who knows what the resistance values are at temperatures.

gtx6970

The larger one is I believe is for a C body  with ATC