News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona paint job

Started by 70 sublime, July 13, 2020, 05:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Just curious
When Creative converted a Charger to a Daytona how much of the car did they have to repaint ?
Did they use front end parts that were already painted before assembly ?
Did they paint them on the car ?
How much of the car got painted around back window ?
Did they put any paint on trunk lid or just very careful when they shortened it up ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

mr. hemi

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 13, 2020, 05:12:15 AM
Just curious
When Creative converted a Charger to a Daytona how much of the car did they have to repaint ?
Did they use front end parts that were already painted before assembly ?
Did they paint them on the car ?
How much of the car got painted around back window ?
Did they put any paint on trunk lid or just very careful when they shortened it up ?

Further to this question, did some of the stock Charger body pieces that Creative removed go back to Chrysler and go into spares inventory? Reason I ask, back about 1979 or 1980 I ordered a new rear deck lid for a '69 Charger when they were going NS1. What came in at the dealer was already painted F6 green and had a jack instructions decal on it. It was obviously factory paint that only showed handling wear. It also had a parts depot sticker on it (Centerline Mich. I believe).
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

RSI700VIPER

:bump:
Same questions for Charger 500. 
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

hemi68charger

Typically around the rear window plug keeping most of the original roof paint, then the deck lid obviously, for the 500. You usually could see where the paint job started to deteriorate over time around that blended area on both 500's and Daytonas. See photo.

The same thing for the Daytona except the complete front clip was painted to match the rest of the car. This is why often you see body color overspray under the hood in the engine bay/firewall area, most noteably on the wiper motor. The masking off of the car was not always consistent...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

On Daytonas, lots of overspray on the wiper squirt lines, too...   :Twocents:

The plug area painting was done in lacquer, over the factory acrylic enamel.   
One reason for the paint looking like the photo above over time!

It was up the guys that buffed the lacquer to get it to shine similar to the enamel.
No two cars came out exactly the same.  :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green