News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shipping a car across country?

Started by rikubot, July 21, 2020, 12:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hi guys just looking for advice on the subject. I've done some research but I want to know what you all think, experiences, companies etc. car would be going from Colorado to Asheboro NC. Thanks.

- Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

70 sublime

I do not know but might help to know if it was a classic car enclosed trailer type thing or just a regular car one could just drive ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

rikubot

It's just a roller right now. Body with fenders, k frame, steering, and rear axle.
'69 Charger, 440/727

ACUDANUT

Good luck. These companies that haul cars, double in price if it does not run.  If it runs, it's normally a buck a mile. Ain't cheap.

b5blue

Look for the topic "Here is where I'm going next". He's a member who hauls.

rikubot

Thank you sir  :cheers:
I sent him a message.
'69 Charger, 440/727

green69rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 22, 2020, 01:51:38 AM
Good luck. These companies that haul cars, double in price if it does not run.  If it runs, it's normally a buck a mile. Ain't cheap.

Acudanut is real close.  I just shipped a car from Houston TX to Kansas City MO.  It was $775.  It's right at 750 miles.  Car was driven onto and off the carrier.  Diff companies have different rules so make sure you find out what they are.  One time I shipped a car they would not take it if it had more than 1/4 tank of gas.  Some allow you to put stuff inside the car, some don't.  I think it all has to do with weight but not sure.

gtx6970

I plan to use Passport Transport here , very very soon.
I have  quotes anywhere from $750 ( open carrier ) to $2800 ( enclosed carrier )
From Cinn Ohio to Tucson AZ

Passport came in at $1800 door to door

rikubot

I have gotten very similar quotes. Pretty much non-stop emails, texts, and phone calls since I submitted a request for an estimate online. Please keep me posted on your experience with that company. Their site looked nice and seemed easy to use so I asked for a quote. I did read that it said they only ship cars under 16'. The Charger comes in at a whopping 18".
'69 Charger, 440/727

b5blue

Try "U Ship" where they bid against each other?

70 sublime

Quote from: b5blue on July 24, 2020, 08:02:17 AM
Try "U Ship" where they bid against each other?

I was thinking the same thing
If you get lucky you might find someone on a return trip empty looking for a load
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

rikubot

I have read some pretty bad stories about a lot of the shippers going for the lowest bid...
'69 Charger, 440/727

ACUDANUT

A lot of them speak poor english and will not stop bothering you... also.  Most are brokers, not owner/operators and they only get paid if they seal the deal with a shipping company...Your going to love this experience.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

rikubot

Haha yeah I'm already not excited about this. I have a friend that said I could use his truck (for $500 and the use of my car for the duration) but after factoring in the time off, gas, insurance, and headache I don't think it would be a good way to go.
'69 Charger, 440/727

gtx6970

I did the U ship thing.
Never again will I do that again.

I got probably 50 emails , calls or texts with prices all over the map.  FYI, They are ALL brokers
Bottom bid  quotes get picked up if / when the hauler has NOTHING else remotely close to where your pickup point is at.  I was told it could take 2 to 6 weeks to get it on a truck and several weeks before it gets delivered. Plus MOST of them its open carrier, NOT an option for me .

I know of a couple people who used passport .  The car was picked up in right about a week ,, delivered in under a week later.  Fully enclosed and once picked up you get GPS tracking thats avail 24/7

option 1 - I considered flying back and driving it out,  But in a car that  gets 5 maybe 6 miles per gallon  ( 11.5 to 1 Street hemis LOVE/NEED really good  fuel,,,and lots of it  ) Ok,,,,NOT a good idea. Actually realized that's a horrible idea. BUT,,,,,would be cool if I was to be able to say I drove a Street Hemi car across country .

options 2  - Flying back and rent truck and trailer to haul it back .  
BUT,  By the time you figure rental , fuel , hotel , food etc etc . Passport was actually cheaper in the long run.    Not to mention I would NOT get ANY sleep with the car sitting on a open trailer in some hotel parking lot in the middle of the country. 

Talked to a couple smaller private transport people . NONE could beat Passports quote or timeline

gtx6970

PS,
Once I seal the deal on this car I will book the haul.
Current timeline Im looking at is early/mid Sept to get this one shipped

b5blue

rikubot

That makes total sense to me too. I thought about renting my buddy's truck and trailer but the numbers just didn't add up, so I can imagine getting 5, 6 miles to the gallon with the good gas would be outrageous. I submitted a quote to passport and I'm still waiting to hear back. Also still haven't heard back from the guy in here that does it.
'69 Charger, 440/727

gtx6970

Quote from: rikubot on July 26, 2020, 01:55:11 AM
That makes total sense to me too. I thought about renting my buddy's truck and trailer but the numbers just didn't add up, so I can imagine getting 5, 6 miles to the gallon with the good gas would be outrageous. I submitted a quote to passport and I'm still waiting to hear back. Also still haven't heard back from the guy in here that does it.

PM sent

rikubot

I submitted for a quote from Passport a few days ago and still haven't heard back. Anyone know about how long that takes?
'69 Charger, 440/727

gtx6970

When I did mine. I got it back next day.

Maybe try again

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

Bad B-rad

In December 2016 I had my Charger shipped from CA to NY, and was $700 in open transport, or $1100 or $1200 in the enclosed transport.
Because it was going across the USA I went with enclosed.
It took 3 or 4 days.
I still have shipping slip, if his contact info is needed.
I think I called a shipping broker, and they found the transport guy, but I do have his info somewhere, not the broker.
My car also did not run.
Now this was 4 years ago so who knows what prices are now.

rikubot

I'd love to have his information. I'm willing to bet the cost has gone up but if he does good work it is worth it to me.
'69 Charger, 440/727

b5blue

Much of the pricing has to do with pickup and drop offs around your run so time flexibility can effect price if willing to wait yet commit.