News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body swap with a 50 Dodge truck body

Started by nvrbdn, July 23, 2020, 07:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 23, 2020, 12:14:03 PM
So how long did it take you to get this far ?

Another question

Does it have a Mazda ownership of a 50 Dodge ownership ??

Looks like a fun project  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I started this project June 20th. I am working outside, so the heat runs me in the house early each day. Plus I can't work on it on rainy days!! So I have about a month into the project.  The truck is licensed as a Mazda right now, but there is a title for the Dodge also.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

funknut

Very cool project, you've made some great progress in a short time!

nvrbdn

Today I had the goals of tucking things in under the hood and fenders, and getting the hood mounted. Plus the few grounds that were removed while cutting metal out needed to be re-mounted. The overflow bottle is still looking for a new home. I think I may get a smaller/different shaped bottle for the over flow, then there is a nice space for it up front on the passenger side.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

The hood isn't looking too bad. There is a lot of space under there!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Here is a shot of the dash. I need to find some kind of seal that will plug the gap from the windshield to the dash. i am thinking of a rubber seal that will slip on the metal lip.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

I am also searching for a tail gate. I have a guy close by that says he has one. Crossing my fingers, but if that doesn't happen, I am in the works of making one out of the piece I took off the bed from the Dodge. Right here I just have it setting in place to see how it looks.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

I seem to be missing something from the front of the hood. Guess I will look at some pictures to see what is supposed to be in these openings. Plus this awesome hood ornament!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ACUDANUT

Cool project. I don't know where you live, but it's HOT out there.
A Dodge truck on a Jap frame.  :scratchchin: :brickwall: :scratchchin:

RallyeMike

Looks like a lot of fun. That dash is a pretty decent fit ... except for maybe for window crank interference. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

nvrbdn

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 24, 2020, 12:21:07 AM
Looks like a lot of fun. That dash is a pretty decent fit ... except for maybe for window crank interference. 

Right about the window crank. The option would be to go with electric windows, or the wife said "if we want the windows up we can just open the door and roll them up". So I am not worrying about that right now!!!

I got the battery moved to the back of the truck today and fired the truck up to check everything out since I hadn't started it since cutting metal and moving wires etc... under the hood. Then I took it out for a cruise around the block a couple times. Can't go too far because I have no lights hooked up yet. Next project is sealing the windshield to the dash and welding in the floor patching.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nvrbdn

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 23, 2020, 10:37:40 PM

I am in illinois. It is really hot and very humid. So I am only getting about 3 hours a day before I have to quit. As far as the Mazda frame goes, The wheel base lined up the best. My engine has a Ford sticker on it. My Dodge buddy wasn't too pleased with me either though.  :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Today I decided to install the Mazda gas door and make a functioning tail gate. No word from the guy that said he has one, so I went with what I had. Welded the metal to a piece of pipe which allows it to move. then made tabs so it will lock into place.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Here ate the shots of the tail gate.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

And a shot of the cab. There is a bit of work to do on the floor to patch everything in. Then search for a bench seat. Tomorrow I hope to mess with the lights. I have a video of driving the truck around the block. I will try to put in on youtube.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

The lucky part of this build is the fuse box of the ranger and the Mazda. It is on the end of the dash on the drivers side. I was very worried about where I would be able to move it to in order to have access to the fuses, But where the cab set down there was plenty of room to leave it alone!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

alfaitalia

Quote from: nvrbdn on July 25, 2020, 05:23:05 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 23, 2020, 10:37:40 PM

I am in illinois. It is really hot and very humid. So I am only getting about 3 hours a day before I have to quit. As far as the Mazda frame goes, The wheel base lined up the best. My engine has a Ford sticker on it. My Dodge buddy wasn't too pleased with me either though.  :shruggy:
Ford owned Mazda back then....
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

RiverRaider

Quote from: nvrbdn on July 25, 2020, 06:05:31 PM
Here ate the shots of the tail gate.
DCMclassics.com has tailgates with and without the Dodge logo.  I have bought other parts from them in the past . 
Ask them about the upper grille part that your missing either chrome or painted depending on model.  I think the bigger
above 1 ton truck ones are different but might be close.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Kern Dog

At first glance, this looked like a bad idea.
I am impressed with how you made it work. Good for you.   :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

DCMclassics.com has tailgates with and without the Dodge logo.  I have bought other parts from them in the past . 
Ask them about the upper grille part that your missing either chrome or painted depending on model.  I think the bigger
above 1 ton truck ones are different but might be close.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip!!! I will check them out.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 27, 2020, 02:35:49 PM
At first glance, this looked like a bad idea.
I am impressed with how you made it work. Good for you.   :2thumbs:

Thank you!! My first thing was to measure the wheel base and all the dimensions before jumping in. I kept coming up with thinking it should work, but was a bit afraid to start. I was afraid to mess up a nice truck that drove really well and wasn't a rust bucket. It took me 5 months to talk myself into just going for it. Glad I did.  :cheers:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Today is a rainy day here, so no working on the truck. So I went to town and had the paint matched. Now I will be able to match the look of the truck on all the areas where I do metal repair. I am still tossing around what the tail lights will be. I want something that will look good with the old weathered truck. But then I thought that the area just below the tail gate is a great place to put the long lights. Keep in mind that the Mazda had the yellow turn signals with red running and brake lights. So the perfect combo would be a light that would accompany all of this. Still thinking it all out.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Yesterday and today were nice outside, so I welded on the floor yesterday, and today I wanted to attack the door rust and the cab corner.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

And the doors. Here is the drivers side door.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House