News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TCI trans. ??????

Started by Highbanked Hauler, July 23, 2020, 11:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I did my sons 74 Challenger 4 years ago and doubt he has 1200 miles on it now. Like me he doesn't beat the snot out of equipment. I put in a 68 440 cut 60 over (yes I know) with a TCI trans. with manual shift valve body from Summit and a Hughes 2300 converter in it with an inline trans. cooler plus the radiator.  He/we have been fighting an overheating problem from day one and I figured it was the motor. Turns out it must be  the trans. and no I didn't put a trans. temp. gauge in it.

2 months ago he noticed that the shifting was getting mushy and by his description the trans was slipping so he just got it to a reputable shop and they pulled the pan and found burned fluid ,aluminum chaff and metal pieces in the pan. Being a manual valve body and filling the trans and converter before I started it I didn't expect any problems.
  Ideas ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

Will have to tear it down and see what failed.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 23, 2020, 12:02:30 PM
Will have to tear it down and see what failed.

Yep its coming out of the car  Friday.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

Did your valve body have low band apply? Was the sprag upgraded in it?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 24, 2020, 10:06:04 AM
Did your valve body have low band apply? Was the sprag upgraded in it?

I am going to say no. The trans. came in a box complete and I just filled it with fluid and the converter was same thing, no adjustment.  When shifting it it always felt "firm" going up and down  between gears. it wasn't mushy feeling.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

gtx6970

Something failed.

A buddy if mine has a TCI trans in his Hemi Cuda and he doesnt baby that car in any way.
Been it it for probably over 10 years ,,,,, Never a problem with it

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 24, 2020, 04:37:48 PM
Something failed.

A buddy if mine has a TCI trans in his Hemi Cuda and he doesnt baby that car in any way.
Been it it for probably over 10 years ,,,,, Never a problem with it

The person who assembled it made a mistake or a part failed. I should know this week.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser