News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clear clear over black plastic on new van parts ?

Started by triple_green, July 24, 2020, 06:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

We got a new to us van, it is a 2019 Honda and has several external pieces that are black molded plastic not painted body color. I looked into getting these painted body color but is is very expensive. I was thinking of just scuffing them up and clearing over them. Will that work? Can anyone recommend a premixed/single stage  clear that I can use to do this with?

Thanks!

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Canadian1968

I'm confused .

You want to clear coat the black textured bumper  and other trim pieces on your 2019 Honda van?

Why?

triple_green

So they will look shiner and to protect from fading. Just the rear top spoiler and side skirts/
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Canadian1968

I don't know of any clear that is ment to be applied directly to bare plastic. That's going to last at least.

I would be looking into some plastic dressings that are available on the market.  I am also positive they have UV protection to stop fading and you can get one that will give you the wet look.

I would scrap the clear coat idea

Canadian1968

IF YOU have to clear coat them. I would paint them black and clear. Then the procedure would be just like painting a new bumper.

b5blue