News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another No Start thread

Started by PA Dodger, July 25, 2020, 02:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dodger

Long story short - It's a fresh 470 stroker engine. Never been started. The car was completely rewired using an American Autowire upgrade kit. Ignition is a new MSD Digital 6AL. The car is getting good fuel from a regulated electric fuel pump into a Proform 850 carb. Naturally it's getting air. Spark is strong when I spin the dizzy shaft by hand to verify ignition. I verified MSD is getting power on both run and start. The LED on the MSD unit flashes with the firing pulses. I have a heavy ground wire from the engine behind the power steering box to the frame with paint removed at both connections. Timing was set at 8* advanced. When I try to start it it cranks like the when you disconnect the coil wire. There is no struggling like it wants to start or its a timing issue or dizzy being 180* out. The only thing I see that's odd is the MSD unit should have the LED on steady when its getting power but not firing the ignition. Mine is not on. But it blinks on fire and I have spark so doesn't that mean its good? Do I need a ground to the firewall if I'm using a heavy ground wire to the frame rail?  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:    
I did contact MSD but don't expect to hear back from them til next week.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

green69rt

Just to get things going with a easy question....you did bypass the ballast resistor?

PA Dodger

Yes. The MSD system deletes it. The new wiring is wired to supply run voltage and start voltage to the  MSD switched 12v feed. The main MSD positive feed is wired to the battery.

mel t

PA Dodger

I think it's pretty well narrowed down to electrical. Fuel, air, compression are all good. Spark seems good too. But doesn't start. Maybe I'm being overly cautious because of all the work I put into this car. Maybe I just need to fiddle with the distributor until I get something. I've done a number of engines and break-ins in the past and they always fire up pretty quickly. I have done the timing 180* out before. I just want to get second opinions instead of poke and hope while I wipe out a new cam cranking the engine.

c00nhunterjoe

I would think if you are 180 out, it would not crank smooth. Did you verify spark while cranking with the key?

b5blue

Agreed take an extra spark plug and attach any one of plug wires to it and crank while it's grounded. Look for spark and asses intensity. If you have spark, put the wire back and try a shot of starting fluid while cranking.  Even 180 out it should be hitting and popping.

PA Dodger

And the answer is....faulty ignition switch. Never had that one before. That explains why the MSD didn't seem to be working, and sometimes I had good spark while other times not. I swear it's one of about three things on this car that I didn't replace when I resto'd the car. I can hardly wait for the other two to fail! :rotz:

mel t