News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will 14 X 7-inch Ford Magnum 500s fit?

Started by lloyd3, July 26, 2020, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

I'm thinking the bolt pattern is OK, how about backspacing?  My rubber is nearing the end of it's useful lifespan and I'm looking for slightly wider rims to increase my choices for tires. I'd like the option of staying with the chrome 14-inch wheels it came with but... my stockers are rather narrow (something like 5 1/2 inches?).

6bblgt

there isn't much choice in the 14" wheel category

G70-14s (225/70/14) one size larger than the OE F70-14 (215/70/14) & fit fine on the 14x5.5" stock wheels
&
G60-14s (245/60/14) too short for a B or E-body (at least an inch shorter & only ~3/8" wider)

the Motor Wheel SPYDERs on the front are 14x5.5" the rest of the wheels are 14x6.0" & the Goodyears are 225/70/14

Mike DC

The center hub hole size is slightly different on Ford vs Mopar.  I'm not sure whether it's an issue on those particular wheels. 

gtx6970

Many years ago I looked at a 1969 Superbee that had the Ford 14x7 wheels. Owner said no problems getting them on the car . He drove it from ( I think was )  Kansas ? to Ky so I took him for his word .

It was an orange Hemi auto car I gave thoughts to buying at the time.

68RT440

Our '68 Charger had 15 inch chrome magnums on it when we bought it. They had new Mopar road wheel center caps on them. For a while I thought that maybe they were from another year or a hemi car etc., but from what I understand Mopar never made a 15 inch road wheel, so I'm guessing that they had to have been off of a Ford. They don't look aftermarket because there are date codes stamped on the inside lips like a factory wheel would have :shruggy:
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

6bblgt

Motor Wheel Corp.  made all the chrome 5-spoke wheels for all the OE applications (Ford, Oldsmobile and Chrysler) and aftermarket "MAGNUM 500s" (they also manufactured the above SPYDER WHEELS)

date stampings and format would be consistent on wheels made at the same plant & timeframe

wheels destined for FoMoCo have the oval FORD logo stamped on them, the smaller hub register on plain steel FORD wheels does not exist on MAGNUM 500 style wheels,
some Ford "MAGNUM 500" wheels have a smaller hole for the center cap - by the '70s it was the same diameter as those for Chrysler Corp.

these 14x7.0" were on a friend's Super Bee before my Mach I

lloyd3

6bblgt: Thanks! That confirms what I had understood.

lloyd3

The answer I've been looking for?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-54-4712044?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-QB0fb5m78EDfwSdpomh2IkmoOZ-pWY32tuwkSdwXB9K0eeGHjF8JoaAkESEALw_wcB

This could be a very-nice, relatively cheap fix for me. All I'd really need is 2 rims and then pick the best two original rims to use on the front wheels.  I'm wondering what tire sizes the 7-inch rims would comfortably support? In the old days....I'd be considering L-60 14s from somebody like Cooper tire (these were affordable and decent tires when I was in my 20s). Not sure who's even making such tires anymore?  I suppose some of the reproduction tires from Coker Tires might work, assuming those are still available? F-70s up front and L-60s in the back was the standard fare when I was a pup, all those years ago. Are those sizes and type of tires still around?

6bblgt

there are NO L60-14s available

read my first reply - that's all there is G70-14 & G60-14 equivalents

lloyd3

If that's the case, then I can see why so-many cars are now wearing 15-inch wheels.  Kind-of a shame. L-60s are (according to my handy-dandy on-line tire size converter) 9.15 inches wide and, of course, 14-inches in diameter. The L-60x15s are the same width but one inch taller.   Hmmm....any metric equivalents?

lloyd3

According to my chart, 245-60R-14 would be comparable to H-60x14 (w/8.55 width). I could actually live with this one...

https://www.jegs.com/i/BF+Goodrich/131/87449/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-TIy9ifGTCVdOtXquOsJA1akd_mK7iVfAhPoro_pGXh1JGZU46KubQaAqzTEALw_wcB

Even better, the specs below the advert says 25.6-inch height and 9.8-inch width on 7-inch rims so hey.....it's arguably almost 3/4 of an inch wider than an a 1980s-era L60 designated tire.  I think I'm in love. My only concern would be the need for something like air-shocks to keep my now somewhat-tired old springs from causing rubbing issues in the wheel-wells.

https://www.jegs.com/i/BF-Goodrich/131/38765/10002/-1

These might actually fit a little better. They're claiming only 9.5 width on a 7-inch rim. Hmmm...now all I need is time and money.  Will tire height issues crop up if I go with tires on the front that would be comparable to the 70-series stuff I used in the 80s?  I could always go with these instead up front:

https://www.jegs.com/i/BF-Goodrich/131/87370/10002/-1

This might compensate for the profile differences and actually improve handling a little (I'm under no illusions about making it handle like a more-modern vehicle). At 8.7-inches in width they shouldn't look too out of place, I wouldn't think. Need to research this further. Nope, they need 6-inch rim width.

These should work:

https://www.jegs.com/i/BF-Goodrich/131/23353/10002/-1

Comparable tire heights (25.4-inch) and only require a 5-inch rim (stockers are 5.5).

GMP440

Hello,
      Be careful with the back spacing.  I was having my friend take pictures of my 68 Coronet for part of the artwork on our show shirt. 
   So I asked him if I can see how the car looks with his Magnum 500's.  These were off his 69 Mach 1.  These were the 14" and  the wheel weights in the back side of the wheel rubbed
   against the upper control arm.

lloyd3

Oh, ok. Did they fit on the back allright? I'm only planning on using the 7-inch rims on the back.

8WHEELER

Put 14x7 Magnums on my wife's 68 RT 20 years ago. They were from Specialty Wheels at the time. I don't remember the tire size right now, but not very many people notice they are wider 14x7, I sure notice.
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

sccachallenger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 26, 2020, 08:26:33 PM

The center hub hole size is slightly different on Ford vs Mopar.  I'm not sure whether it's an issue on those particular wheels.  

I had a set of the 14x7" painted ford magnums, they'll work fine as long as you're not using the '73- rotors, they'll require you to run spacers.
The offset was perfect, I think I ran 235/60-14" BFGs.
On second thought, I may have been mistaken about the spacers, that might have been with the pre '73 Mopar magnums.
I definitely had to run spacers as the centers of the early magnums were too small for the wheels to sit flush.

lloyd3

Do you think 245s might fit as well? We're talking 3/10s of an inch difference.

sccachallenger

Quote from: lloyd3 on July 30, 2020, 10:56:43 AM
Do you think 245s might fit as well? We're talking 3/10s of an inch difference.

Yes, shouldn't be a problem, and even with the wheel spacers which were only 1/4", I think you'll be OK.

lloyd3

Great! Thanks. The goal is to keep the "stock" look, with a scoush more rubber in the back. What's under there right now seems a little anemic to somebody like me who played hard with these things back in the 80s. The air-shock idea is something I won't hopefully have to deal with anytime soon. I've had to have the upper mounts welded at least twice now so I'm not looking forward to any other issues there. 

The 15-inch rims are clearly another option but....that's not what 95% of these cars came with.  The lower profile seems right to me so....we'll see how this all goes.

sccachallenger

I think its great you're gonna stick with 14s!
Back before radials took over it was interesting to note that in the G60 size a 14" tire was always wider than a 15", this was especially true of the off brand or small market labels.
I recall G60-14 bias or belted tires looking huge on the rear of a Demon or Duster.
And with a pair of E70s on the front, it was a bad-ass look! Usually on a set of cragar 5 spokes or copies, of which there were many!