News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K-member bolt thread size

Started by J-440, July 29, 2020, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Trying to find the thread size of our k member bolts. A broad search on the internet is useless (gotta love technology)!! I'm assuming the thread size is 5/8-11???
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

J-440

J-440

Ok, does anyone know where I can get some 5/8-11 threaded rivet nutserts? Most companies only go up to 3/8 or 1/2". Thanks again.

John_Kunkel

Are the threads stripped out or has the internal nut come loose? Some people replace the internal nut by cutting a hole in the side of the sub frame box and welding a patch on the hole.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

J-440

Internal nut has come loose. That's definitely an option though.

funknut

+1 on John's idea.

Even if you could get a rivet nut in that size I'm not sure I would trust it to hold the k-member.  Plus you would probably need Andre the Giant to set the nut, lol.

J-440

I hear ya Funk. I did see a special type of "mushroom" threaded nutsert where you press fit it into the hole, then you thread the bolt through it, then when you unthread it on its way out, the rivet starts to mushroom on itself and you have a nice threaded hole. This was a long time ago and I forgot what the technical term of it was called. They made them in large sizes and you don't need a special tool as well as King Kong strength.