News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

no fender tag, how do I make sure its a 383

Started by 68chargeruk, June 19, 2020, 03:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargeruk

Hi all

Slightly misleading title as there is a tag on the driver dash which confirms its a 383, but i've no idea if the interior is original or the engine is a 383, is there an easy way to confirm this without dismantling anything engine wise?

Thanks

XH29N0G

Do you mean, how do you confirm the engine is a 383?  Or how do you make sure the car was supposed to have a 383

Distributor will be at front for both 383 and 440

To confirm the engine is a 383, you can look at the number on the block casting number https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/mopar-engine-block-numbers/and decode.  You can also look at where the ID Boss (engine pad) is and what is stamped on it,  but this will be the same for the other B series (400, 361). For a 383 (and 400 and 361) it will be on the passenger side below the distributor.  For a 440 (RB) it will be on the top next to the driver's side valve cover. https://itstillruns.com/do-identify-chrysler-383-7300254.html or http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

To make sure it was supposed to have a 383 could be tricky without a fender tag, but if the SN matches (I am not sure this works for 68) then you know the motor went with the car.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

68chargeruk

Quote from: XH29N0G on June 19, 2020, 07:27:58 AM
Distributor will be at front for both 383 and 440

perfect, thanks for that, every days a school day  :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

68's and 69's can be tricky. They did not stamp the vin on the engine or trans.
imo a numbers matching 50 year car is not a big deal, unless it had a Hemi. :Twocents:

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 24, 2020, 02:18:12 PM
imo a numbers matching 50 year car is not a big deal, unless it had a Hemi. :Twocents:

Wrong on all three counts.

Some 1968 cars did have partial VINs stamped on the engine and transmission.

Some 1969 cars had full VINs and some had partial VINs stamped on the engine and transmission.

Numbers matching is sought after by many that truly appreciate a cars history and what it left the factory with  - regardless of engine CID.

Challenger340

Ours is a 1969 model, Nov/68 build date, FULL VIN is stamped on BOTH the Engine and Transmission, partial VIN is also stamped on many body panels(original sheet metal)
Numbers Matching drivetrain examples do command substantially higher valuations at auction/Sale.... especially on the "performance" R/T models either 440 or HEMI but ALL examples get better money when "numbers matching" to some extent.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on July 28, 2020, 08:01:40 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 24, 2020, 02:18:12 PM

Wrong on all three counts.

Some 1968 cars did have partial VINs stamped on the engine and transmission.

Some 1969 cars had full VINs and some had partial VINs stamped on the engine and transmission.

Numbers matching is sought after by many that truly appreciate a cars history and what it left the factory with  - regardless of engine CID.

Wrong, who cares about a original 318.  And you already agreed to VIN verification.

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 30, 2020, 09:17:06 PMWrong, who cares about a original 318. 

I do. I have a very unusual 318 car that I am proud to own.

I love 318s.  ;)