News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Delivery Problem. Maybe.

Started by HeavyFuel, August 01, 2020, 08:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

So...

Coming off the interstate.   Offramp.  Coast up the the light and come to a stop (making a right turn).  Look over to my left and also sitting at the light is a current gen Camaro and a Mustang.  Okay, go time, right?  I look to the left and see no one coming, so I get hard on the go fast pedal.  Gotta show 'em what's what, right?  The 440 is dialed in pretty good so we (my wife and I) make a quick right and are down the road quick.

Problem is, as we are making hast, the big block is running hard, then a little hesitation, then running hard, then not so much, then hard.......you get the point.  Not the first time it's done this.  Seems like she's running out of fuel when I really put her to the boards.

What do you guys the think problem could be?

70 sublime

Have you ever changed the fuel pump push rod in the motor ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

I think you will see it in fuel pressure if it is the fuel pump pushrod or fuel pump. You might consider buying a fuel pressure gauge to watch for tests.  You might want to see if this is recommended by others. 

I had a replacement pushrod wear down to the point where it was running out of gas while driving under load.  I also had an air fuel meter so I could see it do this. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

rig up a gauge and test the fuel pressure, but the problem you described does not sound like a pushrod/pump. Rapid bucks, on/off/on power is not running out of fuel from a pump typically. That would be a flattened out loss without recovery until load is removed.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 01, 2020, 09:43:42 PM
Have you ever changed the fuel pump push rod in the motor ?

Original fuel pump push rod, as far as I know.

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 03, 2020, 08:16:10 PM
rig up a gauge and test the fuel pressure, but the problem you described does not sound like a pushrod/pump. Rapid bucks, on/off/on power is not running out of fuel from a pump typically. That would be a flattened out loss without recovery until load is removed.

When I test the fuel pressure, what exactly am I looking for? 
Is it a constant pressure regardless of RPM?   
Can I set up the gauge, and just check it at idle RPM? 
What pressure value am I looking for?

c00nhunterjoe

Wide open throttle under full load. By the time you reach part way through 2nd gear, if the pump or rod is bad it will drop to near 0