News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

School me on control arm eccentrics

Started by Dano 1, August 03, 2020, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

I aligned my car over the weekend and was only able to get ~0.5-0.75 deg of caster with my stock components maxed-out. From everything I've read this isn't really unusual given the stock suspension design.
Looking at the parts catalog I see two different upper control arm eccentric bolt options, one for 1.05 deg of adjustment and one for 2.25 deg of adjustment.

Moog 2-1/4 deg adjusters:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=203316&cc=1078961&jsn=918&_nck=HllVxRCey1%2B2aVRDo41oQXhbegy63eH0CjjrC3%2B3S70mXEh5znuSsxHww4aDMwPSCetSOHmH%2FWxBomk%2BCT2ScAJTs2W4jkc7ahDCXyQUdU%2B%2F7SbmfzAiXJ8dlnxzpsNc%2FoPGfMqsSDysjBARyNKm%2BMN8F2RVxpxBCjLjEzxIVKJX0kXk7OfMWdNTE%2BFAikzweoh%2FPbY9dpFgp%2FgA67b%2FgsPYl%2BYmOxL1%2F491nyvxqKbPUsIq%2BnseEsUWCLFyah%2FUFJak75Vw4pRubaHb0YWEb4P%2F5YDLp5hWhxf3780pxAtCD0ZMuL4mhHRsKv2D3%2Fem0h6igZdXxb29fcdaA0CADw%3D%3D

Proforged 1.05 deg adjusters:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8732000&cc=1078961&jsn=921&_nck=HllVxRCey1%2B2aVRDo41oQXhbegy63eH0CjjrC3%2B3S70mXEh5znuSsxHww4aDMwPSCetSOHmH%2FWxBomk%2BCT2ScAJTs2W4jkc7ahDCXyQUdU%2B%2F7SbmfzAiXJ8dlnxzpsNc%2FoPGfMqsSDysjBARyNKm%2BMN8F2RVxpxBCjLjEzxIVKJX0kXk7OfMWdNTE%2BFAikzweoh%2FPbY9dpFgp%2FgA67b%2FgsPYl%2BYmOxL1%2F491nyvxqKbPUsIq%2BnseEsUWCLFyah%2FUFJak75Vw4pRubaHb0YWEb4P%2F5YDLp5hWhxf3780pxAtCD0ZMuL4mhHRsKv2D3%2Fem0h6igZdXxb29fcdaA0CADw%3D%3D

I'm assuming the stock eccentrics give ~1 deg of adjustment so my question is are the 2-1/4 deg bolts worth a shot or is the upper control arm movement limited by the mounting slots? I haven't driven the car at speed yet, just around the block to gut check the alignment specs but I'm anticipating wanting to get more caster in the front end. If the bolts aren't going to help I'll just go to aftermarket arms or potentially offset bushings.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

b5blue

I bought offset bushings and installed them staggered to get more caster. Others have suggested use FOX body Mustang settings for good handling with radial tires. I'm thinking ether may get you there, good find.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dano 1 on August 03, 2020, 07:14:08 AM
is the upper control arm movement limited by the mounting slots?

I would think so.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

I also added solid mount adjustable strut rods.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: b5blue on August 04, 2020, 06:59:02 AM

Im not a fan of those, even on a mopar race car. Remove the torsion bar and make sure you have full, free, unrestricted motion with your current measurements in place.

HPP

Ya know, the slot for the cam eccentrics is only so wide and the retainer ears only allow so much rotation. I don't see where an eccentric itself can give you  1.25* more adjustment than another, identically looking eccentric can provide.

Would love to be proven wrong if this is the case. Personally, I think it is simply marketing hype based on where measurements may have been taken.

Dano 1

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I thought about a set of those but my stock strut rods appeared to be in fine shape so I saved the $$ and reused them. I doubt they would make a substantial difference to my caster issue since you're not really supposed to use the strut rod length to adjust caster, just remove binding.

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 04, 2020, 08:36:36 AM

Im not a fan of those, even on a mopar race car. Remove the torsion bar and make sure you have full, free, unrestricted motion with your current measurements in place.

The front suspension has all new wear components and reconditioned control arms so all the hardware SHOULD be good. When I put everything together I set the adjusters maxed out anticipating caster issues and everything seemed to move/travel freely before I tensioned the torsion bars.

Quote from: HPP on August 04, 2020, 09:03:07 AM
Ya know, the slot for the cam eccentrics is only so wide and the retainer ears only allow so much rotation. I don't see where an eccentric itself can give you  1.25* more adjustment than another, identically looking eccentric can provide.

Would love to be proven wrong if this is the case. Personally, I think it is simply marketing hype based on where measurements may have been taken.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I wish I had paid attention to the slot length when I put the upper control arms in but I can't imagine there's a ton of adjustability left on the table even with the stock eccentrics. I was hoping someone might have tried the "2-1/4 deg" bolts who could chime in.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

c00nhunterjoe

dano 1- my quote in your reply was directed to b5blue based on his reply of using solid adjustable ones. He needs to make sure there is no binding.

b5blue

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 04, 2020, 08:36:36 AM

Yup installed and tested thanks.  :2thumbs: